DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wheel freshening a Monocoque
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wheel freshening a Monocoque
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
I have some very old Monocoque front wheels that need some serious restoration attention. Have you taken the bolts out of a Super Trick or Monocoque wheel to clean/polish and then reassembled with zero problems? The bolts are rusted so I plan to replace them. I've heard that it can mess up the wheel somehow. I don't plan on separating the two halves but I'd mark them to be safe just in case they came apart.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that split his and siliconed them to seal them. His still work OK but 1 rear takes a lot of weight he might have assembled them in a different position.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I replaced them one at a time, cleaning each as I went, with no problems. Be aware those bolts/nuts don't clear the rear caliper by much so test spin them before putting it in gear!!!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Both my old ones are bent. Pretty light wheel for 3620#. Still using the rear wheels.
Don’t think I’d chance fixing.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4506 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I made a wheel spinner and bolted the wheel to it with 2 lug nuts. This seems to be enough to keep everything from moving because I've taken all the rusted bolts/nuts off and everything looks like it's still lined up perfectly even after a couple hours of spin sanding. I hope I can find a torque value for the new bolts.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post