DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Check your distributor rotor!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Check your distributor rotor!
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
So I got bit this weekend by this. Racing two classes, was down to 8 in one and 5 in the other.

I left the line, and just before the shift, sounds like all hell breaks loose and the engine shuts off. I thought I had blown up the motor. Turn it over and no weird noises and cranks fine, I am now thinking I sheared the pin on my distributor gear.

Get back to my pits to find that the screws had backed out on the rotor had back out and the rotor tab had got bent over.

So I am out of no box, i get it fixed so i think and make the next round of box and win, going dead in with it popping.

So I dial up thinking maybe it just loaded up the plugs a bit. I have on the tree, car popping again, runs 6 numbers off.

So looking at things more, reason it was still popping was because when the rotor hit, it broke the lock out for the advance and move the distributor.

It started and idle fine, but as soon as it got to the higher rpms it went to popping. Hopefully it didn't hurt anything else.

I have an msd pro billet distributor, probably will put some loctite on the screws this time or check it pretty regularly.

So I welded up the advance, and put a new distributor gear on there since it looked a little worn. I will reindex and go from there.

Learn from me, check that regularly.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have had them exit the cap at least partially. I got rid of distributors all together.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Mark, That's a great idea, is that just RTV?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by banjo:
Mark, That's a great idea, is that just RTV?

Yes

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I tighten mine way tight but after seeing this I'll dab some rtv on them. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The piece up underneath comes loose to......

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
How about some Loctite? Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Anyone suffer an engine damage as a result of this happening?

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter

DRR Trophy
Picture of Maxx Levell
posted Hide Post
And for the 5 or so guys out there running Fords lol...make sure the tab on the rotor is good. I had one "strip" for lack of a better term once, and the rotor slipped on the shaft with similar results to what Banjo described. We like to have never figured it out...and it was a brand new replacement rotor from MSD.

Maxx Levell

If you're gonna be a bear...be a GRIZZLY!

Posts: 92 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: July 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bill I had something come lose inside and jam into pickup in distributor causing it to spin out of phase of crank trigger and motor popped then quit. I found the issue and clean all the broken lives out of distributor then rephased it and kept on racing. Never hurt a thing.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had a MSD cap adapt (the big cap) pop completely off the distributor for no reason. Shut the car off mid run. Never figured out why, just swapped to the larger bolt down cap that you see on the top fuel cars. Its a really nice piece and same price as the cap adapt kits, but the cap and adapter piece is all bolted down tight with screws.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Malaby Racing
posted Hide Post
I lost my 383 SBC to this same thing. Broke two main caps. I now lock tight and RTV them in. Poor design from MSD.

I fixed mine after finding the issue so I thought. Next week out it broke the oil pump off and put the oil pump drive shaft through the bottom of the pan after my burnout...

394L Super Pro / Super Gas

Malaby Racing

Posts: 265 | Location: Reynoldsburg, Ohio | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had the pickup suck up a 3/8 hex lock nut from the work bench once. didn't notice it. Got jammed between the reluctor and pickup while running. Engine popped & died. Replaced the pickup, reluctor looked fine but later found out that it wasn't. Never could get it to run properly and scratched my head on that one for a while.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post