DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    RPM performance dash
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RPM performance dash
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
I know a few here run RPM performance DA. If using their digital dash. Any issues with them? Good and/or bad points?

Looks like using it instead of regular gauge cluster will clean out bunch of wiring, and make for lot better dash looking and functional dash

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I ran one for years on my dragster. When I built my new Altered I went back to regular tach and gauges. Why? Because they are easier to read going down track.

You are right that it does clean up some wiring and make a nice looking dash.

One cool thing about the RPM dash is you can set it up where you have I think 4 screens and you can monitor everything you want and see it if you scroll through the pages. One home page I put of course RPM, oil pressure and water temp. But on my other pages I had all 8 O2, I had transmission temp, Brake Pressure, fuel pressure, oil temperature, and more.

Another nice thing it is one wire off logger that runs it so clean wiring there.

Another minor drawback to the digital dash was setting it up like I wanted.

In the end I felt the old style gauges were easier to read and reliable so on the new car I used standard gauges.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
By the way I have ran RPM data loggers since maybe around 2014? and I think they are the best you can get for the money and their support is great.

I am not knocking the RPM digital dash, I think they are ALL harder to read than standard style gauges.

I rely heavily on my data logger but that is after the run. On my new Altered I did get a RPM data logger and it monitors most everything but the one option I left off on it was the dash.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
600 runs on my RPM data logger dash and it's been flawless. Randy offers excellent tech support for getting the sensors setup. This is year 15 using their data logger, the same one by the way with a couple upgrades.

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Something to think about:

Sometimes I ask myself if we have mutated into a group of computer geeks or is this simply the evolution of modern day drag racing? Expensive Weather Stations with annonometers, lap-top computers with prediction programs, and sophisticated expensive data collecting devices. No wonder all this scares folks from getting involved, at any level. Drag racing used to be a simple Saturday night of fun. Now it's a full time commitment a freight train load of money, expensive car trailers, a Renegade or truck to haul everything, golf carts and a sport that requires (in some cases) a crew of people to help.

The sport has been mutated into a full time job that totally ignores the fact that most Racers have full time jobs, wives and kids, house car, food and utility payments, etc. Where does all the money spare come from, who has this much free time on their hands? I see a lot of guys stepping back and limiting their involvement, or just flat quitting. Maybe the car counts at your track are great but across the board the numbers are way down resulting in many track closing. Where are you going to go when there are no tracks?

Maybe all the technology, expense and time commitment has made us our own worst enemy.

This used to be fun.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
We beta tested the RPM dash before it was ever released to the public. Randy and my son speak the same language and worked thru alot of the original the bugs.
As a driver I always liked it and thought it was easy to read and has 4 different screen pages you can customize

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I agree. People made the sport more expensive.

It has been the nature of the beast from day one. Once going faster becomes a goal. Cost consideration is gone out the window.

My first race car had almost zero techno. It was 3rd year before it had a delay box. One setting and no other functions. The car was killer for brackets. Would print tickets. The driver not so much. It cost less than the electronics I have now. It was ton of fun.

It is all forms of racing. A bunch of guys racing around dirt circle became a multi million a year sport. A bunch of guys racing their street cars on a 1/4 mile strip became a multi-million a year top fuel team.

As for the digital dash, it is just 800 bucks and a small drop in the bucket. Not far from cost of gauges. Hopefully lighter too. Plus I think cool and that just adds to the fun part. Fun is what it is supposed to be about right?

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Now the illiterate redneck idiot blames millionaires for advancements in technology in our bracket cars which he doesn’t have one!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:

As for the digital dash, it is just 800 bucks and a small drop in the bucket. Not far from cost of gauges. Hopefully lighter too. Plus I think cool and that just adds to the fun part. Fun is what it is supposed to be about right?

The dash is fairly heavy, you will not save much weight there. Cost is actually cheaper, mounting them is stupid easy. When you buy a good Tach, oil pressure gauge, water temp you are over the $690 the digital dash costs. Some of the tachs by themselves are more than the dash. A lot of people are going to digital dash so they have some used analog gauges at good prices if money is an issue. Wiring the dash is easier and clean looking.

I went back to analog on my new car simply because it is easier for me to see. Money was not even a consideration in the choice.

As for how much others spend bracket racing, who cares? In bracket racing a good driver in a low budget car can put an expensive car on the trailer. Simply do not care how much people spend on their racing. You and everyone else can invest as much or as little money and technology as you feel comfortable with. Some have a bunch of money in their cars and do not even have a shop.

Another thing about money with the way the future of bracket racing and drag racing in general I am starting to think about how much I spend as we may not have much opportunity to race in just a few years. Car and trailer prices would then go way down.

I am not giving up but I am keeping in mind that the future may be rough for us.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Curly. I don't care I was just replying to Rprogas post. His was a point about technology part and mine was an example of how cost has done something. Always has and always will. As one grows so does the other.

I never said it was issue. Actually, what I said was it is just a natural process of things and especially in motorsports. It has always got more costly. No matter if it is because of folks pushing harder for speed or just making it easier to run the same number.

I don't care how much others spend or what they run. I do get a chuckle when a cheap low buck guy beats a money is no issue car. Most of what I build ends up costing almost as much and sometimes more than buying similar. I enjoy the build and that is what it is all about.Enjoyment.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1]
Some have a bunch of money in their cars and do not even have a shop.

Says one of our resident idiots that lies, claiming to own cars and trailers he does not!

That said, I race weekly with 2 of the best if not the best ever at this game and they don’t own a shop. They would hang their heads in shame if only they knew that this fucing idiot who ain’t ever done shyt nor got shyt worth talking about has a shop in bum fuc Texas where land is cheap like the hookers he solicitates!Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
The weight comment was a joke. Since I always compare weight when changing or adding something. I figure it actually weighs more. Only 3 gauges now. Tach, oil pressure, and 1 temp. Temp gauge Rteads 4 points.Oil temp, transmission temp, and cylinder head temps. Guess you have to figure two 3 position switches as part of it.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Looks like everyone who has used one very pleased with the function. Had no doubt about Randy having a quality piece.

I don't think seeing readings big issue. Don't know about everyone else. I rarely look at tach going down track. Check oil before stage and temps while backing up or before pulling to line.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
No one says you have to have all the modern equipment to race....It's your choice

Don't need a data logger
Don't need a weather station
Don't need digital anything
WTF looks at gauges going down the track ? Not me and I never have. If it breaks you'll know it without looking at gauges

It's all your choices

Yes in some types of racing you most definitely will be at a disadvantage without a good WS and prediction program

The data logger is useful for sure but not a must have...

Mostly what you need is a good car and a driver with skills....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
SCDIV1…KNOWS!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
No one says you have to have all the modern equipment to race....It's your choice

Don't need a data logger
Don't need a weather station
Don't need digital anything
WTF looks at gauges going down the track ? Not me and I never have. If it breaks you'll know it without looking at gauges

It's all your choices

Yes in some types of racing you most definitely will be at a disadvantage without a good WS and prediction program

The data logger is useful for sure but not a must have...

Mostly what you need is a good car and a driver with skills....

Nobody said anything about having to have.
RPROGAS post was just about technology and he never said it was a have to have to race thing. The first line was something to think about.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Ed, you are the biggest lying pile of excrement here. You keep saying you win all the time and big money. You dont. You SON may win but you are a worthless loser and everyone here knows it. You are a sad, pathetic little joke. You have become a bootlicker for your own Son. How pathetic is that?

I have been told be several of your friends that everyone loves racing you, it is like a Competition Bye run. Almost a guaranteed win for them.

You lying pile of excrement YOU do not have a shop. And your trailer looks like Beverly Hillbillies with all that junk piled up in there. I guess because you do not have a shop.

We all saw the Numedia points for years where you were first round runner up and very consistent LOSER. Did you think we could not see the points? We saw you "Race" last week and go out first round both days. You took right back up where you left off Loser. Do not blow smoke up our @$$ and say that is winning.

Now there is some Truth and Facts for you to chew on.

As for my cars I do not care what you think. You do not know and I do not have to explain anything to you. In fact it is none of your business.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
again a thread that edna adds nothing to but still has to be a pos posting his normal crap. He does repeat a lot. I think there was a guy here doing that a while back. Might be brothers?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
More lies, more delusional statements fueled by jealousy from our resident idiot who lies about owning cars and trailers he doesn’t because he ain’t got shyt nor ever done shyt worth talking about except burn up an engine he tried to tune! Laughing Hard They only thing he does is solicitate hookers he calls his girlfriends! Laughing very hard

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
guessing more bullshyt posts for on all 4;s alter boy.
Have a reply that applies to the question fine. If not STFU to quote you edna,

The difference between ed and vd. They make a shot for one of them/