DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shorty Dragsters...Again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shorty Dragsters...Again
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Every few years it seems like these are coming up in discussion. I have been seeing more and more of them. One race I went to a fella had two of them. Trailer space is certainly an advantage. I'm guessing there are some drawbacks or limitations. Anyone found them? I'm seeing them for sale more often now. Latest one I saw was BB supercharged. Said it went as fast as 4.70. Maybe they are sketchy at faster speeds?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Somebody’s bad idea that never caught on.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few 4.40-4.50 shorty's, but I wouldn't want to drive one 1/4 mile.

I could see them being beneficial in garage/trailer space savings. Especially for those who want a dragster, but live in a subdivision or have a 2 car garage.

They look funny IMO. If you're concerned with garage space, and want a dragster, why not just get a roadster? Most are using dragster rear ends, and are as light as a dragster now days anyway.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 4link dragsters
First one was 215" wheelbase
Went 7.70's at 170+ best
Second one is 235" Racetech
Have run 7.40's at nearly 180

Never really any problem with the shorter car and it was much faster reacting for Pro Tree racing BUT

I feel far more stable and comfortable in the longer car even at higher speeds and power levels

When dragsters first started to show up in Super Et.....200" was pretty long but cars were nowhere near as fast or had the kind of power of todays engines

Hard tails were the norm not suspended.....

I do recall one local racer had an under 200" hardtail and went as quick as 7.50's at Island Dragway.....a very short shutdown for fast cars

It was a very light car, no cooling system....Injected and ran a Nitro mix with as much as 20% I was told....

That car was bad a-s-s for the time.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they work fine but they are butt-ugly... I know that looks don't win races but I can't spend the kind of money that this sport requires and not enjoy looking at it.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Good friend has one. It's a older Mark Williams HT
Car. Car is real light. I think it's either a 200 or a 205. About 1680 with him in it Mild 598. Real mild...Runs 60's all day long straight down Broadway.. No big power needed to be competitive.
AND Has fun.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
There's no advantage to them except trailer and garage space. That's it. Can argue looks, but really they look the same as a 235 car, just less body behind the front wheels.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Know a well known race from Davenport that really likes his he has been 4.40s and win a bunch. Races at Byron been 1/8th and 1/4 mile

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I don't see the advantage unless saving space in the trailer or garage. I also wouldn't want to reduce my market for resale either.

Posts: 290 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vetman:
Know a well known race from Davenport that really likes his he has been 4.40s and win a bunch. Races at Byron been 1/8th and 1/4 mile

He must not race at Cordova much. I think I would have seen it. The ones I am seeing for sale now are money. Doesn't mean they get it. But they sure ask for it.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

He must not race at Cordova much. I think I would have seen it. The ones I am seeing for sale now are money. Doesn't mean they get it. But they sure ask for it.

That's the market right now. People think their un-polished turds are worth gold, and polished turds are worth diamonds.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:
quote:

That's the market right now. People think their un-polished turds are worth gold, and polished turds are worth diamonds.

Motorhomes, toterhomes, and sportschassis trucks are all stupid right now. I ought to freaking sell something in this market. We do have a Jr for sale.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The sellers aren't setting the market, the buyers are....

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Nope Bucky he has had some troubles at Cordova with the track prep but hopefully it will improve with the new owners I see Dumpster is back on board maybe his track prep will help I will be there for the triple 777s in October se ya then
!

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lincoln:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're talking to an engineer. Please use smaller words.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every few years it seems like these are coming up in discussion. I have been seeing more and more of them. One race I went to a fella had two of them. Trailer space is certainly an advantage. I'm guessing there are some drawbacks or limitations. Anyone found them? I'm seeing them for sale more often now. Latest one I saw was BB supercharged. Said it went as fast as 4.70. Maybe they are sketchy at faster speeds?

On the 3rd 205" Racetech. Sold both 2019 cars late 2020. The 2021 car will be sold toward end of summer. No issues. Just as smooth as the 245 and 240 cars. Running 4.50s. Been high 4.40s.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What did I say wrong? I could agree that the buyers are setting the market, and sellers are adjusting for it. Look at car dealerships, not long ago they were listing vehicles at $20k over MSRP. Same with the racing market. No smaller words needed to understand that lol supply and demand, basic economics taught in 5th grade.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

On the 3rd 205" Racetech. Sold both 2019 cars late 2020. The 2021 car will be sold toward end of summer. No issues. Just as smooth as the 245 and 240 cars. Running 4.50s. Been high 4.40s.

Great info thx!
Hey I understood all the words I think!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What did I say wrong? I could agree that the buyers are setting the market, and sellers are adjusting for it. Look at car dealerships, not long ago they were listing vehicles at $20k over MSRP. Same with the racing market. No smaller words needed to understand that lol supply and demand, basic economics taught in 5th grade.

As far as cars go, there is more than sufficient supply. Same with most things motorsports related. Are some items impacted by material or labor shortage? Yes but it's the "need to have it now" attitude of buyers. It is the fact people are paying premium prices and are willing to pay premium prices that drive things up. Sellers just price based on what they see buyers willing to pay.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sellers just price based on what they see buyers willing to pay.

Smile

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo