DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Crower bushed lifters
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crower bushed lifters
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
WHEN are you guys going to let this go???? You jump on each other with every post. Both of you are very smart except with one subject, and you know what that is.

Bob

Notice I never start it, for the simple reason I don't read Edwards posts, unless he is addressing me in attack mode.

I'll say again as I originally did, bushing lifters have their place.

There's nothing wrong with me saying that, it's the Truth.

Any decent engine builder will say the same.

It wouldn't bother me a bit to bracket race an engine of this caliber, it wouldn't / couldn't have bushed lifters.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

I'll say again bushing lifters have their place.

sure do in every bracket engine and engine used in NHRA sportsman racing classes whenever a roller cam is used regardless of HP, regardless of cam profile, regardless of spring pressure!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

I'll say again bushing lifters have their place.

sure do in every bracket engine and engine used in NHRA sportsman racing classes whenever a roller cam is used regardless of HP, regardless of cam profile, regardless of spring pressure!

Yet the best lifters on the planet are needle bearing. Jesel

Why is that? Friction, when you get up around pro stock spring pressure, a bushing lifter will dig a ditch in the lobe.

Any decent engine builder will say the same thing.

You don't build and race your own engines, so you're not a reliable source of information.

I wouldn't be afraid to bracket race an engine of this caliber, because I have the know how to maintenance it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
They were all smooth about 50 passes before failure.

BJ, What kind of kind of valve clearance checking regimen do you practice?

Valve clearance? This motor had plenty but I don’t remember the number.

If you meant valve lash, I’d give us a B-, but....

I did the first burnout of the year and it went sour backing up. Backed all the way off the track and went to trailer. Ran valves but decided it was a plugged nozzle. Went back up and it went a little sour again. Thought, oh well, I’ll just run it with the plugged nozzle. Ya, wasn’t a nozzle that time. Coincidence I guess. Point being, the lash was fine. Crower steel shaft rockers and I rarely have to adjust any of them.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I know the Jesel lifters are expensive but I’ll be putting the jesel .904 needle bearing in my new engine. I run the crower bushing in my 421 and haven’t had issues but it’s a baby cam compared to the new engine.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
I know the Jesel lifters are expensive but I’ll be putting the jesel .904 needle bearing in my new engine. I run the crower bushing in my 421 and haven’t had issues but it’s a baby cam compared to the new engine.

What cylinder heads?

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by I Hate Dragsters:
I have a set with around 300-400 runs...super smooth and the rollers show no wear.

What sort of life are you all seeing with these?

Haven’t been on here in a while…I see somethings never change.....

For the OP….
I believe you are running pressurized lifter galleries correct?
Look at lobes of the cam, it can reveal a lot about what the lifter is experiencing, do you see any discoloration? Dents in the ramps? Tracking/wear on the lobe surface?
Biggest problem with bushed lifters is skidding on the lobes (oiling issues), if you don’t see any of those signs - things should be happy.

I would measure the yokes, if you don’t see any spread, put them back in and move on.

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
no one missed you Spitting

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
M&M/AFR 255 heads.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
M&M/AFR 255 heads.

That oughta be interesting, this is a LS sb correct?

Lots of potential, a guy we know did one, he's raced a couple times in DXP Street at the big radial tire race SGMP. Not sure which cylinder head he went with, he's tried a couple on it. It's a 441 cid I think.

Sounds good!

Good luck!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
No it’s a standard 23 degree. 447sbc with M&M 255 23 degree heads

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I wanted to use Chad’s 265 heads but have to use a raised runner intake with them. Using the M&M255s I can still use my Hogan intake. I’d found a post where they had removed the 255s and put Chad’s 265 heads on and gained 12 hp with Chad’s heads. That was on a 434

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wanted to use Chad’s 265 heads but have to use a raised runner intake with them. Using the M&M255s I can still use my Hogan intake. I’d found a post where they had removed the 255s and put Chad’s 265 heads on and gained 12 hp with Chad’s heads. That was on a 434

That's cool, I'm not familiar with either head, sounds good though. Good stuff, it'll be interesting for ya, I'm sure.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I put 500 passes on my Isky bushed lifters in my 582. Pulled and measured play and put them back in. I think easily good for 1000 runs before rebuilding with the driveline I ran.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
adv ET 266...KNOWS!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run the Crower bushed lifters and have for years with no problems at all. Mine are the standard size SBC with offset intakes.
Building a new motor the .904 I would think would be even better.

Many valve train problems are caused by geometry off a little, valve float, too weak of springs or even too stiff. Or Trash in oil. When everything is right most lifters would last. I do still believe the Crower bushed lifters are a step up and worth the money.

One thing I do that is different than most I do NOT run a race oil filter. They do not filter out the smaller trash. Trash is not good in any motor including bushed lifters.

I run TWO very large truck type street filters in parallel so that all of the oil has to go through one of the filters and all the very fine particles get removed with little restriction. I think each filter holds almost 2 quarts of oil.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4011 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
The Bam DLC lifter is suppose to be the Shiznet.. A ton of Big motor builders are using them exclusively for high hp application.

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of good options.... Isky Crower BAM Morel for bushed lifters.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post