DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Aluminstar inserts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aluminstar inserts
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Are there Weld inserts that have different offsets? The wheels I have have a pretty good dish to them, which decreases the backspacing. I would like to gain backspacing, and wondered if they offer other inserts. Even a flat one would gain me backspacing. Not even sure where to look for this info.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I would say NO.....

I replaced my Weld centers on 2.0 wheels

They are flat centers...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
I would say NO.....

I replaced my Weld centers on 2.0 wheels

They are flat centers...

Most of the centers I see are flat. Mine are like a bowl. Made that way. Maybe all the Alumistars are. Is a weld insert a weld insert? Or does every wheel style have its own?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6413 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My guess would be brand specific and wheel model specific

Bolt circle, dimensions of O. D. and register

Center/ outer section has to locate on that register so wheel is concentric

My centers were powder coated chassis color and were chipping around the bolt holes.

I tried painting them but that didn’t last.

I then tried stripping and beadblasting them to remove powder

Very difficult to do and I blasted them at least 3 times and hand scrapped them.

Local powder coated charges to much so I bought new polished centers and sold my old ones for a decent price.

Powder coat is extremely tough to remove in a regular blaster using glass beads
Paint stripper was useless.

I won’t be going into that business anytime soon !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
My guess would be brand specific and wheel model specific

Bolt circle, dimensions of O. D. and register

Center/ outer section has to locate on that register so wheel is concentric

My centers were powder coated chassis color and were chipping around the bolt holes.

I tried painting them but that didn’t last.

I then tried stripping and beadblasting them to remove powder

Very difficult to do and I blasted them at least 3 times and hand scrapped them.

Local powder coated charges to much so I bought new polished centers and sold my old ones for a decent price.

Powder coat is extremely tough to remove in a regular blaster using glass beads
Paint stripper was useless.

I won’t be going into that business anytime soon !

I had heard before that aircraft stripper was effective, but have never used it. We had a powder coating section at a former work place. If they would mess up a second paint coat, they would send out to get burned off. Not sure what was involved in that, but high heat to be sure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Powder coating done correctly is almost impossible to remove using grit blasting or readily available stripping methods. As a professional powder coating company owner, I have found a chemical that will remove the coating down to bare metal in less than one hour. Unfortunately it’s not available for public purchase. LMK if I could be of service. I also provide ceramic coating along with several piston skirt options.

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post