Bracket Talk
Rust removal ?

This topic can be found at:
https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/80760912/m/2607064107

March 16, 2024, 09:22 PM
imakehp
Rust removal ?
I just took a new dragster chassis out of storage and apparently I didn't finish painting it before putting it up in the rafters. So the back half of it has rust. Any suggestions on a process or chemical that will get it back to bare metal? I know about acid dipping it and having it sand blasted but I recently sold my old dragster with the trailer. I could put it in the bed of my truck and go up over the cab. I would rather handle the job at home.

Any tips on some badass remover to try?

Dave

F J B

March 17, 2024, 04:46 AM
Wooley
Eastwood has a spray on liquid to remove surface rust on metal. I used it when I let my new quarters get some surface rust because I was dragging along on the install. It works.
March 17, 2024, 04:51 AM
team
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean...rep-1-GAL/1001456348
March 17, 2024, 08:38 AM
vetman
Locate your local autobody supply house ask for a metal prep that will remove surface rust also buy some red scotchbrites and rubber gloves have fun been there

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid
March 17, 2024, 04:53 PM
Toad1
Vetman knows, not many better auto painters than him with his experience and its in a state that salts the highways!!

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

March 17, 2024, 08:15 PM
Cashflow
Ospho rust remover.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
March 17, 2024, 10:17 PM
Canted Valve
I would suggest you at least look at "rust converters" available in both liquid and spray, at home improvement centers. Depends on the severity of the rust too. It will not deliver a surface suitable for a class A paint job, such as body panels, but it might suffice for a frame. I use to sell industrial chemicals that's how I became aware of it. It provides a passivated coating ready to accept paint at a much reduced labor output. I have successfully used it on a home A/C compressor housing, which sweats perpetually. And most recently a stored generator frame. As suggested Eastwood has a good variety of quality products. Oh, you might want to consider aerosol cold zinc galvanize as an undercoat for the paint.

Illegitimi non carborundum
March 18, 2024, 09:09 AM
vetman
Those "rust converters" will work-for a while but for long lasting results agood metal etch and epoxy primer will last a lifetime unless you repaint your frame every 5 years or so-lol. the Eastwood stuff is mostly for "hobbiests" results

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid