New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paint Question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
The clear coat is peeling/flaking off my 95 S-10 bracket truck. Is there a way to strip off the old clear coat or am I looking at a repaint winter project?

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Depends on how bad the flaking happens to be. If it's isolated areas, you can lightly sand the edge areas with 2000-2500 paper and re-coat. It's a temporary repair at best but might give you a couple of more seasons out of the current paint job. And of course this would be something you do or a friend. There's no taking it to a bodyshop as they are only going to strip it and repaint - and understandably so, their work reputation is at stake.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If the clear is peeling from the basecoat, you are best off to strip and refinish. If you feather back the peeling edges and paint over it, the new finish will peel off along with the old if it peels/flakes again and you are back to square one.

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It's not peeling/flaking. It's character. Big Grin

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
Just learn to appreciate "Patina'...

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post