Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ts393c:
Only reason for asking is. I never felt the car ran as good as it should. 6.40 3500# car. It works good and deadly consistent.

That's not bad for what you have. It's really a max effort in between nitrous / N/A.

I've built a few like this, one a 427 went 5 teens 1/8 with 400 on a plate system.

A little more compression and a more max effort N/A cam and it would make 50 more hp for you. This is a in between nitrous cam you have.

We're working on a pump gas in between now similar idea on the cam to run fairly well N/A and exceptionally nitrous.

Kirk at Bullet Cams.

Honestly I have always felt the car should run in the 30 to high 20 range. I do run radials. They are a little faster but not much.

The amount of deformation in a bias tire is the variable in regards to how much faster a radial will be. So if your suspension works with 20 psi with a bias tire, you may not see a tenth. It's the deformation which causes the energy loss with a bias tire - higher rolling resistance.

I suggested a radial to DLR for the reason, there's a car local similar sbc/weight car that picked up a tenth.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
http://classracer.com/classfor...d.php?t=74517&page=2
I've never run radials on my Nova BUT I've seen several reports of picking up a tenth and seen it first hand. It's the difference in deformation depending on how much air you run in your bias tire which determines how much you pick up with a radial. Typically big bias slicks like DLR run, don't have much air in order to make em work, which leads to high energy losses - higher rolling resistance. .

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
When using the right cam the only reason to install it a few degrees advanced is to account for timing belt or chain stretch which retards the cam timing.

With your CID, RPM and compression and especially for that weight, you have too much duration. Without knowing the exhaust to intake flow ratio I can't comment on the 14 degree split on duration but I would say it's too much also. Both of these adjustments would close the lobe separation.

If your happy with the current performance then just keep racing, if not them there is room to improve. BTW there is nothing wrong with Comp Cams.

Is the usual number around 2* advanced from what the cam card says to account for the belt stretch?

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Max effort N/A would be around

730 670

270 280

106 installed on a 102 3500 lbs

With a dominator

14.5:1 compression

750hp

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
desk top dyno shyt right rhere. Laughing Hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Home brew Engine and Transmission

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NC3x58:
quote:
When using the right cam the only reason to install it a few degrees advanced is to account for timing belt or chain stretch which retards the cam timing.

With your CID, RPM and compression and especially for that weight, you have too much duration. Without knowing the exhaust to intake flow ratio I can't comment on the 14 degree split on duration but I would say it's too much also. Both of these adjustments would close the lobe separation.

If your happy with the current performance then just keep racing, if not them there is room to improve. BTW there is nothing wrong with Comp Cams.

Is the usual number around 2* advanced from what the cam card says to account for the belt stretch?

1 to 2 degrees so ya

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Max effort N/A would be around

730 670

270 280

106 installed on a 102 3500 lbs

With a dominator

14.5:1 compression

750hp

14.5 to 1 is a max effort!
HMMMM

Posts: 2161 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
exactly! BlahBlah Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I see trying different cam timing and doing lash loops as just part of the tuning process. If you don't check, you don't know what you have missed. Sometimes also, when you discover that a cam runs better advanced or retarded, or likes more or less lash than the card calls for, it gives you clues about where the cam is weak for your application. And also where improvements can be made. If you like to get every bit of performance out of what you have, trying different setups with your cam is no different than putting different jets in the brand new carb you are trying to dial in.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6441 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Absolutely picked up 0.15 going from a bias ply to a drag radial right here.

3200 lbs, 049 oval ports, 598, injected on methanol, 1.80 PG, 4.30 gear, cal tracs and split mono's.

14x31x15 goodyear vs. 29.5x10.5x15 Mickey PBR. 6.05 vs. 5.90 back to back passes. Swapped tires and rims after the first shot on bias plys MPH was the same. That car hit the tire pretty hard tho, was awesome on all sorts of tracks until we stepped up the power level to the 1000 hp range. Then it started trying to ride the bumper most days and was a little harder to manage and bracket race.

Posts: 425 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
Absolutely picked up 0.15 going from a bias ply to a drag radial right here.

3200 lbs, 049 oval ports, 598, injected on methanol, 1.80 PG, 4.30 gear, cal tracs and split mono's.

14x31x15 goodyear vs. 29.5x10.5x15 Mickey PBR. 6.05 vs. 5.90 back to back passes. Swapped tires and rims after the first shot on bias plys MPH was the same. That car hit the tire pretty hard tho, was awesome on all sorts of tracks until we stepped up the power level to the 1000 hp range. Then it started trying to ride the bumper most days and was a little harder to manage and bracket race.

That's running good. We've seen .15 down in Florida as well, bigger radial tire sizes especially. Nice pickup in et.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So it sounds like I need less LSA and less duration. So this would make it more aggressive on the bottom end? Another question I would have is. Would doing the raise trap rpm? It don't pull the big end maybe 6700 range.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
All your ET n/a is by the 330’ cone and it starts with how quickly you 60 foot.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/5Fdhx6u-d5o
If I put radials on the Ripper it would go sub 1.20 60 ft.n/a home brew sbc

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
All your ET n/a is by the 330’ cone and it starts with how you 60 foot.

I'm starting to see the light. I'm just trying to learn a few things here. I will admit I never knew much about camshafts but I'm always willing to learn.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
https://youtu.be/5Fdhx6u-d5o
If I put radials on the Ripper it would go sub 1.20 60 ft.n/a home brew sbc

If your 1.27 now, I can't see you dropping that much just with a tire change. I've seen cars drop a tenth going to radials, but they were 11 second cars that were running tubed bias plys, and it was a tenth over 1/4 mile.

Posts: 119 | Location: Outside | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm starting to see the light. I'm just trying to learn a few things here. I will admit I never knew much about camshafts but I'm always willing to learn.

I had one guy I talked camshafts 25-30 years from when he was at Comp Cams to Lunati to Bullet Cams named Richard Woods, he's putting out fires for an automotive parts manufacture no longer in the high performance industry, however he has turned us on to a new contact at Bullet Cams named Kirk, super nice guy. Talk with Kirk.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Top I wouldn't say I'm un happy. It is a very consistent set up. But if I could get some more et and not sacrifice consistency I would love to do that. I have always felt there is some left in this combination.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had one guy I talked camshafts 25 years from when he was at Comp Cams to Lunati to Bullet Cams named Richard Woods, he's putting out fires for an automotive parts manufacture no longer in the high performance industry, however he has turned us on to a new contact at Bullet Cams named Kirk, super nice guy. Talk with Kirk.

Mike I believe I have dealt with Kirk before. When I had my 582 and my dragster. They was good to deal with. Never understood why they always wanted to run a lot of lift. The lift was way higher than any other places that recommended a cam for it. But like I said I don't know a lot about cams.