DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Trailer Tires, Time for New Ones
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Tires, Time for New Ones
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The wheels themselves have a weight limit rating.
Most are around 3000lbs IIRC. Some are a little higher.
Cheap steel 15” wheels are under 3000lbs. Rated load
Nobody breaks wheels though generally.
Axles yes and tires for sure.

The worst trailer tires I’ve had were D rated 15” Carlisle’s. A total wreck in 2-3 years.
Titan another brand I had that blew and they looked good. Not sure how old they were.

Used to have Michelin’s and they dry rot cracked just like they still do.
My motorhome had Michelin’s and they were cracking. They were 6 years old though.

Goodyear’s have worked well for me. Marathons and now the Endurance E rated tires.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Goodyear’s have worked well for me. Marathons and now the Endurance E rated tires.

same here

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
SCDIV1 makes a great point about wheels. We pi$$ and moan about tires but, the wheels have to be up to the task, too.

If you have two 7K axles and four wheels rated at 3K each your 14K GVWR trailer is now a 12K GVWR trailer.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Always check the weight ratings on the wheels.
Assume nothing. Most overload their **. Scale your

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I am going to say it again I think much of the problems with trailer tires and even truck tires is not heavy duty enough load rating for what you are doing.

Many trailer manufacturers put too light of a load range tire on there from the factory.

Tires will fail when they get old, if they are ran too low air pressure or if they are too light of load range.

My 34 foot trailer originally had 6 of the load range D. I lost some fairly new tires and put 14 ply load range G tires on there at 110 PSI. No problems since.

That is another reason I like a dually truck you have the load spread over 4 tires in the back instead of two and that reduces the stress on them.

All I really care about here getting tires that will hold up for what we are doing with out blowing out and tearing up stuff.

I agree. I became a tire rating expert after driving my motorhome from North Carolina to Michigan with severely underrated tires that someone threw on to sell it. I was shocked to find my front tires were underrated by 3500#s. Could have been bad. Another reason I recommend everyone spend $20 and weigh your rigs.

My last store bought trailer was an '03 Classic 32'. It came with Goodyears and I finally changed them after about 12 years just cause I felt bad. Only had one failure, but I must have hit something and put a hole in the sidewall.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I bought the tires from Tire Rack. Best price ,free delivery at my shop in two days. That works

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
You want to see some eye opening tire abuse....

I routinely move trailer mounted generators and just trailers in general, with a forklift and a ball mounted on one fork...

Watch those trailer tires when you back a trailer up !!

A forklift can turn a trailer sharper than a tow vehicle but you get a real good view of the twisting and distorting loads put on the trailer tires just backing up and turning.

The best you can do is keep the turns as gradual as possible and it's way less abusive on the trailers tires...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post