DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Which dial bore gauge do you use?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which dial bore gauge do you use?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
I recently picked up a Fowler, to backup a Mitutoyo I've had twenty plus years.

It'll be good to have two fairly high quality dial bore gauges around here, for obsessive compulsive double and triple checking. Smile

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Neither of those are high quality. Under two hundred dollar with no settings tool. Those don’t impress me.
You want a quality DBG, get a sunnen with the setting tool. I bought mine in 1977 and it’s spot on today.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
Neither of those are high quality. Under two hundred dollar with no settings tool. Those don’t impress me.
You want a quality DBG, get a sunnen with the setting tool. I bought mine in 1977 and it’s spot on today.

Fast forward to around 4:10, watch closely. Then, do tell why I should be impressed.

Trust me I'm plenty experienced to catch a standard off the crankshaft or piston. I got a good feel for it, touch.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Being in the machine tool business I have used a lot of different gauge. Mitutoyo has a cheaper end and more expensive stuff. They are pretty good gauges but the more expensive ones seem to be a better and more accurate. I like starrett can be a little pricey. I have used the fowler too. They don't seem like a bad gauge.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:
Being in the machine tool business I have used a lot of different gauge. Mitutoyo has a cheaper end and more expensive stuff. They are pretty good gauges but the more expensive ones seem to be a better and more accurate. I like starrett can be a little pricey. I have used the fowler too. They don't seem like a bad gauge.

I may buy a Starret, what price range are you speaking? Starret has a dial bore gauge in the $200 range as well.

I bought a Starret dial caliper from a calibration lab twenty five years ago, have always been impressed by it. I was using it too much on rudimentary measurements, so I bought a Fowler in order to preserve the Starret caliper.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by ts393c:

I may buy a Starret, what price range are you speaking? Starret has a dial bore gauge in the $200 range as well.

I bought a Starret dial caliper from a calibration lab twenty five years ago, have always been impressed by it. I was using it too much on rudimentary measurements, so I bought a Fowler in order to preserve the Starret caliper.

The ones we use at work are around 300 to 400. But it really just depends on the tolerance you want to hold with them.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:

I doubt that Mike is doing anything that would require Aerospace tolerances. I know of a lot of garage built engines that work just fine using plastigauge. Most machinists and their machines aren't good enough to hold the capability of their measuring tools.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
quote:

I doubt that Mike is doing anything that would require Aerospace tolerances. I know of a lot of garage built engines that work just fine using plastigauge. Most machinists and their machines aren't good enough to hold the capability of their measuring tools.

Grown up toys, I bought another torque converter instead of the $300-$400 Starret DBG the man has mentioned.

I'll get one eventually, I had a friend that worked in the calibration lab at the AFB in Vegas, he too always suggested Starret.

I might pull the trigger, just to compare all three.

Pretty nice Smile

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
I’m not building engines now, so my Mitutoyo 0.7-1.4” .0005 dial 511 series bore gauge is for sale. It’s 100% complete with case and manual It’s the best way to verify lifter bore or balancer clearances.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12164 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If you want to read about dial bore gauges go here. http://www.longislandindicator.com/p8.html

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TD1964:

I agree since Mike is not doing any machine work.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Starret makes good tools and I own a few. But I don't use their BDG's
I have been to the old Starret plant in Athol Massachusetts in the 90's. It was located in an old mill building. Very interesting.
You get what you pay for.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have the Fowler. While it's definitely not a high end gauge, it does the job for what I need it for. It's been pretty danged accurate so far, and repeatable. I know there are better ones out there, and I've looked at a few, but I don't use them enough to warrant the extra cost.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Fowler, Mitutoyo and Starret are fairly high quality gages.

Are there higher quality out there? Sure.

It's gonna be good, as I said before, to have two around here for obsessive compulsive double and triple checks.

It don't matter how long it takes for off the trailer strong.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
Fowler = Garbage. May be ok to use if you are a commie hammering 2 x 4's together in chinka. You know, if you wanted to support your fellow dog eating commies you share a shyt hole country with.

Mitutoyo = Great if your objective is to send a fighter plane to the bottom of the pacific. While modern day japs do happen to make some good chit, it aint mitutoyo. Not to mention they make the ugliest junk on the market.

Starrett = Undefeated in world wars. Obviously the greatest toolmakers on the planet with a few exceptions. One of those is their bore gauges. Theyre fine for using on a mill or general crap that needs to be closer than scaled. Not nice enough to keep in the Gerstner but better than throwing in drawer of wrenches. Nothing to brag about owning as everybody has at least a half dozen of em laying around always in the way.

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Standard bore gages purchased by Brown&Sharpe
Now owned by someone else.
Not to much better out there unless it’s an air gage.

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boucher Jr:
Fowler = Garbage. May be ok to use if you are a commie hammering 2 x 4's together in chinka. You know, if you wanted to support your fellow dog eating commies you share a shyt hole country with.

Mitutoyo = Great if your objective is to send a fighter plane to the bottom of the pacific. While modern day japs do happen to make some good chit, it aint mitutoyo. Not to mention they make the ugliest junk on the market.

Starrett = Undefeated in world wars. Obviously the greatest toolmakers on the planet with a few exceptions. One of those is their bore gauges. Theyre fine for using on a mill or general crap that needs to be closer than scaled. Not nice enough to keep in the Gerstner but better than throwing in drawer of wrenches. Nothing to brag about owning as everybody has at least a half dozen of em laying around always in the way.

That's true, the Japs or china. The Japs are probably our best allies though, most don't know that for the most part, but they are. Plus they're work force are paid decent, they're western civilization, so they're not pressuring our work forces wages like the chinese and mexicans, one reason they let mexicans waltz across the border, to manage inflation.

I thought Fowler was Made in USA, bummer I'll post the Starret when it gets here.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I’ve been involved with metrology for 44 years and it’s my opinion that a majority of the DIY types are better off with plasti-gauge than precision bore reading instruments. I do it daily and still double check myself, if not triple. Starrett and Sunnen are my choices.

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
https://www.practicalmachinist...ade-starrett-169877/

Your new Starret bore gauge is made in China. LOL
I have a spare Sunnen DBG and Sunnen setting tool for sale. $1650.00 for both in original wooden boxes. Cal date on both are from Feb. this year Made in the USA. Good tools don't loose their value.
As long as a certain percentage of the components are made in the USA they can claim Made in the USA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD1964,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post