DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Equalizer jack won't retract
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Equalizer jack won't retract
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Before I get elbows deep in diagnosing this thing, anyone ever had an equalizer jack for a gooseneck suddenly have where both switch positions extend the jack?
Just looking for the common failures before I start from scratch.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Sounds like something electrical. Mine has a hex drive on top of the motor to drive it manually with a drill. I'd run it both directions to rule out mechanical and hydraulic. From the sounds of it, the relay may be an issue. Has it been rained on recently? Possibly water in the contacts too. I've had that happen on other stuff and it drove me nuts chasing it down.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Sounds like something electrical. Mine has a hex drive on top of the motor to drive it manually with a drill. I'd run it both directions to rule out mechanical and hydraulic. From the sounds of it, the relay may be an issue. Has it been rained on recently? Possibly water in the contacts too. I've had that happen on other stuff and it drove me nuts chasing it down.

It's in the compartment at the front of the gooseneck. But far from weather proof. Sounds like these have the normal electrical gremlins that other outdoor 12v stuff does. Just have to chase it down.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
relay contact stuck

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1412 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Bucky, can the switch get wet? I’d start there. Solenoid next. I have one too. Single big ram.

Damn! Just read Colorado comments.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4498 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When not in use I cover my tongue jack with a trash compactor bag (it's thicker than an average plastic bag) to stop water from entering the electrical contact/switch area.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nope, it was the switch. LOL. Thank you guys. It was the first thing I looked at and a quick diagnosis. It shouldn't get wet there much being under the front of the trailer. But something isn't right in the switch so I will get one coming.
Thank you!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Get two coming that way it’ll never break again

Posts: 388 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Top355x:
Get two coming that way it’ll never break again

I had a body guy tell me about a small dent in my wife's car: That dent will ward off future damage. If I fix that dent, the laws of the world will send a deer to run out in front of her next week. LOL. We left the small dent.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo