DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    what decision would you make under these circumstances
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what decision would you make under these circumstances
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Im curious about what others decisions would be under these circumstances,which i have seen occur on occasion.
You drove 10 hours to a race.Some weather came in that postponed your first round of eliminations till the following day.
Its 900am and the way the schedule has worked out your the first class up.
Its a chilly 50 to 60 degrees and there is alot of dew still in the air.When you pull up to get paired your opponent is already at the front of the staging lane and the officials wave you to the front.Your going to be the first pair out and the guy your running is dialed over a full second slower than your dial.
Race director says fire em up...
Do you fire up and stage hope for the best?
Do you flag an official and tell him you dont feel safe enough being the first car down track in these conditions?
What if the race director says go or your out?

The one time i was in this situation i was sideways half track and had to lift.Race director tells me no rerun you both had the same track.After we went down they stopped racing for about 2 hours till the conditions improved.

Posts: 1433 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
It’s always your decision to go down the track or not. If you don’t feel safe, put it in the box or at a minimum just stage and hope for an opponent red light. I think most cases track officials try to have the track ready to go and somebody has to be first out each day. 10 hrs makes it tougher but that is still up to you and bottom line if you aint feeling it, save it for another day.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 337 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Dial the same as your opponent, wheel race him. Car gets loose, lift and go home. Otherwise if you’re really apprehensive then put it up and go home.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
hope is not a strategy and vern is correct!

that said you decided whether to stage or not but know that if you refuse to stage the NHRA will DQ you. When the NHRA decides the track is ready, it's ready, no reruns no matter how many cars are sideways. Happen to us at Indy in 2021

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
NHRA LOL

Posts: 1270 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I trust NHRA Officials to make the correct decision to send me down a track. Over the past 60 years of racing I've seen tracks I wouldn't go down under any circumstances......ever!

In the end it's your butt in the car, and your ride that can get wadded up.

Bob

Posts: 3155 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Most everyone is right about this. You have to make the call and if you do not feel safe then do not run it, do not stage, get out of the car and tell them it is not safe. Should you choose to run it be prepared to abort. There have been 4 times where I did not feel comfortable but ran it any way but was on high alert and ready to abort run 3 of the 4 times. Twice the Championship was on the line which I Won and one time was IHRA bracket finals. I went four rounds there and told them it was not safe several times. I just could not pull out of the race while still in it but last round blew tires off at the hit and I collected my check and went home. Another time it was a regular weekly bracket race and I was still in loaded up and went home. Not much on the line no reason to risk it. Some times it is a risk verses reward deal and it just is not worth it.

With all that said if they stopped the race after you got out of control because track was not safe then they should have allowed a rerun there. So they basically admitted the track was not safe when they sent you down it but would not let you run it when it was?

Tracks do not like to ever have a rerun because I think once they start that everyone will be up in the tower wanting a rerun every time they lose. And of course NHRA would NEVER admit they were wrong.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Brings back memories of running rounds after exhibition jet cars went. Never ever knew what to expect. Seems like it was always the money rounds too.
I will add I did gain a ton of relative confidence, after I lost the Goodyears and ran MT. Those late dew track rounds never gave me as much trouble as my opponent and I loved that.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12175 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
we are all really competive and dont wont to quit,that said i would likely complain to who i could ,sandbag the car really hard and go racing.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1453 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you have an unused toggle switch on your panel you could easily remove XX amount of pre-programmed timing activating a Step Retard in Grid or even Analog ignition at a moments notice when desired. If you know about how much the reduced timing would slow you down it could possibly offer you something. Minus 10* could do much in poor conditions.

Dialing same as your slower opponent was an excellent suggestion.

Posts: 2610 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If the round of racing was suspended, NONE of the runs should have counted, complete restart of the round.

I tried to hang back one morning at Montgomery, but ended up being about the 4th pair, had to watch a 4-link dragster shed most of it's Dzus fasteners from tire shake in front of me, and I knew I was toast. Spun .020 off, and out of there.... Car behind me aborted the run.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
NHRA sent the first pair of Top Dragsters down a wet race track at the 2016 Gatornationals. Both cars crashed in there own lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJck7wwKGfQ

Posts: 2516 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
NHRA sent the first pair of Top Dragsters down a wet race track at the 2016 Gatornationals. Both cars crashed in there own lanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJck7wwKGfQ

If I remember right the NHRA did not accept any responsibility for that mess?

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Why would they? They signed a waiver acknowledging that this is dangerous and can result in death and they staged their car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Let me tell you something about waivers.....they are legitimate documents, however they DO NOT nullify responsibility of the party, if a party is negligent and that can be proven in court I don't care what waiver you signed they will be found guilty. Period.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
We have had some issues in the past at RT 66. The one year, It rained like he** the night before. The following morning,Track clean and good to go. Overcast weather and warm. Sun comes out @ 10:30 ish. Here comes the moisture seeping up through the asphalt at about the 800. There were about 50 or so out there trying to get it dried. Kept bleeding no matter what. Cut it down to 1/8 mile event. After that the track invested in a high$$ drain tile system on both side.

The biggest problem there is, no matter how well the track is prepped, You have a air temp drop and the sun goes down. the dew starts rolling in from the fields and makes for a dangerous condition no matter what they do or how they do it.. The one night there were i believe 4-5 wrecks at or about the 800-900. We went home. One came close to a fatal.. I refuse to run there at night with high humidity and dew seeping in from the surrounding fields.

Posts: 1412 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
In the end, the driver makes the last call. He alone makes the final decision as to the safety of the racing surface.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2546 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post

Posts: 728 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
No round win is worth wrecking a car and/or bodily injury. In the OP's scenario, SOMEBODY has to be first, so I don't see the point of informing an official that you don't feel safe being first. 50 - 60 degrees really isn't all that cold, either.

Mike

Posts: 1589 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Let me tell you something about waivers.....they are legitimate documents, however they DO NOT nullify responsibility of the party, if a party is negligent and that can be proven in court I don't care what waiver you signed they will be found guilty. Period.
Exactly ain’t worth the paper it’s written on…

Posts: 1270 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post