HELP!!!
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
^^^ What he said.
I've had issues in the past where the shift shaft seal leaks. I have since doubled up/stacking them putting two in where I can. Sometimes only one will fit.

Dave

David et al, what's a good source for those seals? Anyone know a part number for Advance, NAPA or O'Reilly's? Thank you much.

Posts: 342 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Does anyone here use transmission pan studs and nuts, rather than bolts?
To me, they look like something less likely to strip out the threads.

Posts: 342 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Covey:
^^^ What he said.
I've had issues in the past where the shift shaft seal leaks. I have since doubled up/stacking them putting two in where I can. Sometimes only one will fit.

Dave

Here Ya go.. These are for a Glide..
https://www.tsr-racing.com/pow...etal-clad-seals.html

https://transpartswarehouse.co..._content=Catch%20All

It seems they are very hard to ask for. I've ordered and received Turbo 350 instead of one for a glide. I do not trust summit on them. TSR has always been good.

Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Covey,

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
FTI, if you are reading, it would be good for you to add a glide shift shaft seal to your inventory.. They are a pain to find.

I do check your site when buying my glide parts..

Thanks
Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
^^^ What he said.

Dave

David et al, what's a good source for those seals? Anyone know a part number for Advance, NAPA or O'Reilly's? Thank you much.

ACDELCO 8792S
TIMKEN 8792S
SKF 4912

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1300 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
quote:
FTI, if you are reading, it would be good for you to add a glide shift shaft seal to your inventory.. They are a pain to find.

Thanks
Dave

We have them, just not listed on the website. give us a call at the shop and we can get you taken care of. 386-736-5816

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 163 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:
quote:

Thanks
Dave

We have them, just not listed on the website. give us a call at the shop and we can get you taken care of. 386-736-5816
You Da Man

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
I hate to trouble you again, buddy, but how does one gauge the mark on the tranny dipstick to the proper fill level in the pan? Is there some reference point in the transmission that one can compare the full mark to? Thanks again![/QUOTE]

With pan off, dipstick in, you can see the end of the stick poking out of it's tube from under the car. Take note of where the marks are on the stick, in relation to the pan mounting flange at the bottom of the trans. Better yet, mark the stick right at the pan mounting surface. That is your MAX full fluid level. Mark it with a Sharpie, but after ward pull the stick out and make a permanent mark on the stick, (as in a notch or groove that won't disappear like the marker ink will. Oh, and that will be your HOT fluid level, so make a cold fill mark about 3/8 to a half inch below that. Trans fluid expands a lot when it is up to full hot-lap temp, so the level will rise about 3/8" with a stock pan and cooler. Bigger cooler and a deep pan, it will rise about 1/2" when hot.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
One more thing to make note of: Since your goal is to keep the fluid level below the pan gasket, and you check ATF while it is running, keep in mind the height of your trans cooler and lines. If the cooler is above the pan level, (I'd guess most are, at least on door cars), when you shut it off, that fluid will drain from the cooler down into the pan, and push your fluid level above the gasket and seals. So if your ride leaks while it is sitting, but not when it is running, that is probably why. If you keep the lines routed down low, (like the car manufacturer did), the cooler should hold that fluid and not drain out.

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Bad Nusz, follow what Footbrake Jim said for dipstick fluid level.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
quote:
quote:
^^^ What he said.

Dave

ACDELCO 8792S
TIMKEN 8792S
SKF 4912

Joe

Great info, Joe; thank you.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
One more thing to make note of: Since your goal is to keep the fluid level below the pan gasket, and you check ATF while it is running, keep in mind the height of your trans cooler and lines. If the cooler is above the pan level, (I'd guess most are, at least on door cars), when you shut it off, that fluid will drain from the cooler down into the pan, and push your fluid level above the gasket and seals. So if your ride leaks while it is sitting, but not when it is running, that is probably why. If you keep the lines routed down low, (like the car manufacturer did), the cooler should hold that fluid and not drain out.

Sounds like great advice, Jim; thank you. And to Eman.
I reckon one can lay a straight edge across the bottom of the transmission case.
Does this procedure apply to most other auto transmissions as well?
I would bet mine is a little high; the tranny likes to leave a little bit of fluid in a drip pan between races.

May I copy and paste that information into a new thread? It would probably help others.
Thx again!

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:

This is the problem I am having now. I mounted my transmission cooler up high in the rear of the car and when car sits the fluid level gets high as it all drains back into pan and now you have leaks. So it looks like I will have to move the cooler to a lower location.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
My son's Chevelle has a big cooler mounted up high.
Got tired of it leaking, so bought a really deep pan with filter extension, and leave it about a half quart low, problem solved and it performs just fine.

Dan "Jim" Moore