New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP!!!
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a transmission pan (th 350) that I am having trouble getting it to seal good. The surfaces were clean when I installed it, and they seem to all be true and flat. I used the black high temp silicone, is there something else I should be using?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.

Posts: 404 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had an alum glide pan that was .125 out of flat and I had to mill the flange flat.
Check yours on a flat plate or bolt it up lightly on the trans and check with feeler gauge.

Posts: 691 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
FastRacer,

It has been my experience that sealer on the trans pan gasket is a bad idea. I suggest a Felpro race gasket installed dry.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't need anything more than a dry gasket. That being said I have a tube of permatex automatic transmission sealer that I grabbed a while back because it was intriguing.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
As others stated install dry. I prefer FARPAK brand Fiber Pan Gasket.

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Is it a good pan (thick aluminum) or a stamped junk one? If stamped throw it in garbage and buy a good one.

FARPAK gasket dry.

And don't overtighten. They only take like 12ft/lbs.

Posts: 1441 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
We also prefer and employ Farpak gaskets on all our transmissions.

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 163 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Check flatness of pan, good gasket installed dry. Then look really good at shift shaft, dipstick tube and where the detent cable goes in or the plug where it went in. Those are as likely to leak as the pan and run around the pan rail so it looks like the pan is leaking. Also check where the full mark is while you have the pan off, aftermarket sticks aren't known for accuracy.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
^^^ What he said.
I've had issues in the past where the shift shaft seal leaks. I have since doubled up/stacking them putting two in where I can. Sometimes only one will fit.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
My transmission guy always tells me to torque the pan bolts to 85 inch pounds, also. This is on a cast alum pan. And, Ive never ever used silicon on a trans pan gasket.

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
https://globaltransmissionpart...-th250c-350-6261649/

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have always used a Felpro gasket when possible. Always put a very light coat of grease on both sides, trans assembly goo or white lithium work well. Reason for the grease is it is a natural sealant and also the gasket does not stick to the pan or case. Its always worked well for me anyways

Posts: 2429 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
make sure oil is not running down from above the pan rail

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1411 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
I need to fix a drip too on a TH350.
What's everyone's favorite filter?
And favorite pan, cast or otherwise?
Thanks!

Posts: 342 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Check flatness of pan, good gasket installed dry. Then look really good at shift shaft, dipstick tube and where the detent cable goes in or the plug where it went in. Those are as likely to leak as the pan and run around the pan rail so it looks like the pan is leaking. Also check where the full mark is while you have the pan off, aftermarket sticks aren't known for accuracy.

Eman, are there seals, gaskets or O-rings at those leak points you described? Thanks!

Posts: 342 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Dipstick tube can be either an O-ring or a hat type seal depending on the tube. T350 shift shaft has a seal that is pressed into the trans housing. If you have a leak there the best bet is drop the pan and remove the shaft, has a clip and a nut on it. Then polish the shaft, chuck it in a drill and use fine emery or sandpaper and polish it clean. Then install a new seal and the clean polished shaft. Detent cable can have an 0-ring or a small boot type seal depending onm the cable. If the trans isn't using the detent remove it and tap the hole and put a pipe plug in it or band a oil gallery plug in.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I do not use the old stamped pans on anything now. Not on the transmission, oil pan, timing cover or valve covers. An aluminum pan will seal better and those Farpak gaskets really do seal good. You install them dry and when they get hot they have a heat activated sealant that really sticks and seals.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4015 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks for the link, man; I just ordered a few of those Farpak pan gaskets from them, plus a few other seals as spares.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dipstick tube can be either an O-ring or a hat type seal depending on the tube. T350 shift shaft has a seal that is pressed into the trans housing. If you have a leak there the best bet is drop the pan and remove the shaft, has a clip and a nut on it. Then polish the shaft, chuck it in a drill and use fine emery or sandpaper and polish it clean. Then install a new seal and the clean polished shaft. Detent cable can have an 0-ring or a small boot type seal depending onm the cable. If the trans isn't using the detent remove it and tap the hole and put a pipe plug in it or band a oil gallery plug in.

Great tips, Eman; thanks! I see that new Sonnax shift shaft and seal kits are available at Jeg's and Summit for about 32 bucks.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hate to trouble you again, buddy, but how does one gauge the mark on the tranny dipstick to the proper fill level in the pan? Is there some reference point in the transmission that one can compare the full mark to? Thanks again!