DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    fuel pressure regulator choices ( specifically Magnafuel )
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

fuel pressure regulator choices ( specifically Magnafuel )
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
a gallon of gas in 20 seconds is good.

The level of horsepower dictates supply of course, but 1 gallon/20 seconds would be a minimum for a medium fast car imho......

If you use a gallon of fuel per run, simple math would tell you 1 gallon in 20 seconds is going to lean out..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4520 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
My two cents, been running an Aeromotive A-2000 pn-13202 return style regulator with my belt drive pump on both alky and now gas for quite some time. I would assume it would work just as well with an electric pump. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Magnafuel shows two different diaphragms for them, one for large two and four port regulators and one for small two port regulator. So apparently they are different internally.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
My two cents, been running an Aeromotive A-2000 pn-13202 return style regulator with my belt drive pump on both alky and now gas for quite some time. I would assume it would work just as well with an electric pump. Good luck with whatever you decide

areomotive is the most consistent that i have used, they are not small though

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1453 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

My Racepak graph shows that to be true.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5328 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
currently running around 44 lbs

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1453 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
Just for clarity up front....Im not an expert by any stretch (as you requested – lol).

Some simple testing that has never steered me wrong; The test that was claimed to be BS, was not “invented” by BG, it is simply a volumetric test that is a fundamental baseline for evaluation. How much fuel per second can correlate to the BSFC results found during dyno testing. Honestly, a pressure regulator is very simple devise in concept and function….if you want to talk about marketing gimmicks’….we could probably start here.

I would deadhead each combination at 5 PSI using all of the same pump and plumbing components all the way to the float bowls to assure fair evaluation, then do the volume/time test. Repeat the test at 8 psi. See if you can determine any significant volume difference across the regulators in question. Obviously if you haven’t purchased the other regulator yet, this may be difficult to determine…

Just another thought, on the combinations you have compared, are these all using the same orifice size needle and seats? Depending on how deep you want to go - Flow through the bowl assemblies inverted using the different brand/size needle and seat assemblies….you may will be surprised!

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It is a bullshyt test and it was infact first used by BG as a marketing tool to sell his original fuel pump which was built by John Rademacher who was superflow pumps, then magnaflow pumps then product engineering pumps and HE was the guy that came up with this bullshyt flow test. He believe every drag racer needed a fuel pump with capacity to fill a swimming pool in minutes and sewer sized fuel lines to deliver that capacity regardless of engine size and power.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
Look pal….this test is 5th grade science…who gives a flying ***** what BG (or whomever fits your narrative) did or attempted to do with his marketing strategy. The bottom line is that you should start with this test for diagnostics. If you understood what you are paying for during your “dyno” sessions….for your bracket cars (hahaha), then you would understand BSFC and how this ties in…

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What part of the FACTS and the TRUTH don’t you like?

I ain’t your pal and I understand fluid dynamics better than most here. You keep on recommending this bullshyt test and I’ll keep on doing what I do, putting 2 of the best if not the best cars on the track where ever we compete, winning races, big checks and championships.

The bottom line is this, the OP asked about 2 specific regulators and he was told by me snd Tony which one we use/to use, end of discussion.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
The original question was if the smaller regulator would flow enough. Simple question.

The motor uses a certain pounds of fuel per horsepower. Simple fact from lawnmowers to top fuel. A dyno guy can tell you how about how much horsepower you are making just from fuel consumption.
And you need more fuel than that due to restrictions and g forces. Also some pumps may not put out as much as they claim in your car due to fuel lines or restrictive fittings or low voltage. Some pumps may be "Optimistic" in their output ratings. I have seen fuel lines get damaged or kinked restricting flow.

Your fuel system is only going to flow as much as the weakest link.

So it is good common sense to check actual volume of fuel delivered near the carb.

With all that said I would not use a dead head regulator on any car. Is the smaller regulator big enough to handle the job? I do not know but he has one of the small ones and can do a rough test to see if it can handle the volume needed.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
1290,Ediot,Edith...and all of the other compassionate nicknames you are known by....You love to argue, contradict and boast….and I love to pull your strings…a great past time when it gets cold outside.

The one comment you do have correct, we "aint pals"….and I pity those who find you as a pal. You are absolutely in the top 10 for those I have ever encountered for having clinical level of narcissism issues……and for someone who feels he is leagues more intelligent than the rest….when will you ever discover using the words “facts and truth” to drill your point is redundancy squared…..or is it you lie and BS so much you have the two confused?

The shop should be warm now, so off to work I go....we'll pick up where I left off tomorrow morning Be Right Back

Jerry Kathe

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You and the other nobodies here that contribute little if any useful info on this forum, couldn’t fill my jock strap let alone match my on track experience and knowledge as it relates to bracket/class racing.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Kathe:
1290,Ediot,Edith...and all of the other compassionate nicknames you are known by....You love to argue, contradict and boast….and I love to pull your strings…a great past time when it gets cold outside.

The one comment you do have correct, we "aint pals"….and I pity those who find you as a pal. You are absolutely in the top 10 for those I have ever encountered for having clinical level of narcissism issues……and for someone who feels he is leagues more intelligent than the rest….when will you ever discover using the words “facts and truth” to drill your point is redundancy squared…..or is it you lie and BS so much you have the two confused?

The shop should be warm now, so off to work I go....we'll pick up where I left off tomorrow morning Be Right Back

Do not let him bother you, the little Ediot is a C0ckal0rum.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Curly cue call me an idiot to my face you broke dyck loser confirmed by the guy you grew up with. Laughing very hard

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
quote:
a gallon of gas in 20 seconds is good.

The level of horsepower dictates supply of course, but 1 gallon/20 seconds would be a minimum for a medium fast car imho......

If you use a gallon of fuel per run, simple math would tell you 1 gallon in 20 seconds is going to lean out..

I didn’t say it was one size fits all test but it’s about as realistic of a test you are gonna get aside from taking the bowls off and flowing through them also.

Posts: 2595 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It’s nearly 2022, if you are a serious competitor, you don’t rely on bullshyt tests presented decades ago by those looking to sell their products nor do you rely on website calculators and you certainly don’t follow the hearsay, myth, rumor and opinions that is spewed on Internet forums. Serious bracket/class recers rely on hard data furnished by a data recorder on their car. THAT tells you everything you need to know. My cars repeat within thousands from pass to pass. I don’t know nor do I care to know how quickly my fuel system can pump a gallon of fuel! What I do know based on hard data is I don’t have a fuel delivery issue nor a pressure issue from the moment my cars launch to the moment they cross the finish line.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
It’s nearly 2022, if you are a serious competitor, you don’t rely on bullshyt tests presented decades ago by those looking to sell their products nor do you rely on website calculators and you certainly don’t follow the hearsay, myth, rumor and opinions that is spewed on Internet forums. Serious bracket/class recers rely on hard data furnished by a data recorder on their car. THAT tells you everything you need to know. My cars repeat within thousands from pass to pass. I don’t know nor do I care to know how quickly my fuel system can pump a gallon of fuel! What I do know based on hard data is I don’t have a fuel delivery issue nor a pressure issue from the moment my cars launch to the moment they cross the finish line.

Really not sure why I should bother, but maybe to get your “jock strap” …I mean G-string out of a bunch, Ill attempt to point out the reality here. The OP asked about two specific regulator PNs and why/what is the difference.
1. Elementary “Truth and Facts” would disclose there is one primary goal of a pressure regulator, control pressure.
2. The next consideration would be maximum flow volume. This is dictated by orifice size (most restrictive passage).
3. Fluttering with the diaphragm is essentially cavitation of the flow.
4. This fifth grade test is going to disclose those differences in flow….if that does exist and I would support the fact it does!
5. He doesn’t yet have the model in question but it sounds like he has a few other combinations he could baseline to evaluate differences. The smallest orifice in the regulator will ultimately govern flow and the surface area of the diaphragm vs that flow potential will dictate the stability of a given pressure. I have looked at a few different combinations, but not all of what he has to work with, I for one would be interested in the feedback he may have to offer after that.
6. PLEASE explain to us/me on how ANY data recorder is going to; “tells you everything you need to know”. Since there is absolutely no direct correlation, I would suggest understanding the difference between “designing a system” and “diagnostics of a problem” .
7. And well…..reading YOUR quote: “you certainly don’t follow the hearsay, myth, rumor and opinions that is spewed on Internet forums” I just gotta laugh….

Curly1, copy that, appreciated. I don’t let him rent space, trust me. I am simply fed up with closet liberal types who like to taught patriotism (his signature block) then express the lack of social harmony….I also occasionally tend to get bored, that will generate the desire to target that type for fun…..is that bad?....

Jerry Kathe

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Another that thinks he knows!

I've seen your junk run on you tube...dual carbs tunnel ram dragster that runs 4.60s-70s and a cutup shyt box duster than doesn't launch straight, what a joke and you're offering advice. Didn't think of that

Keep reading everyone of my posts. NahNahTounge

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
No fuel system expert by any means here, but when I was running gas, I had a magna fuel pump, prostar 500 and was running a BG four port regulator. I had a severe issue of running out of fuel after mid track. Did the pump volume test, checked plumbing, everything. Called Magnafuel with my issues and they said they can't help me unless I run their regulator.....What?????? I thought that was pretty crappy so I called Aeromotive. I ran their A2000 pump before WITH THE SAME REGULATOR without issue. The guy on the other line told me to describe my fuel system setup and plumbing....So I did. He told me what the issue was and how to fix it. Didn't once try to sell me anything. I decided to make the switch to Aeromotive and haven't looked back. I won't run Magnafuel on anything now. My engine guy here used to run them but got tired of having to have the pumps rebuilt 2-3 times a year. He's had the same, untouched Aeromotive pump on his stuff for several years now....

I know, lots are going to say nothing wrong with their pumps and regulators, they are the best, etc....I don't care...You could give me one and I'm just going to sell it to someone else......Magnafuel are an old, outdated pump in desperate need of modernization... If they are working for you, great.....But there are MUCH better pumps and regulators out there.....Aeromotive, Weldon just to name a couple.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1513 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post