DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Staging temperature on Gasoline
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Staging temperature on Gasoline
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaracer:
When I ran gas, I got it as cool as I could on water temp, oil temp is more important. On alky, again oil temp is more important, but I try to get it to about 210 or so and let it heat soak, and never make a pass below 180-190 on water temp, as car performs best in that range.

I have a thread on oil temps. Getting it cool on gas seems to cool down the oil a lot also.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Been following that, surprising information.
My thought process has been that some of that is information that can only worry me at the wrong time.
I'm toying with adding some data collection devices for the grandkids... I have one two years away from stealing my seat.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When my two older sons Mike and Rob ran Late Model Circle Track cars they got the water as cold as they could and the oil as hot as they could prior to qualifying. That produced the quickest lap times.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
My thought process has been that some of that is information that can only worry me at the wrong time.
I'm toying with adding some data collection devices for the grandkids... I have one two years away from stealing my seat.

My data collection device is a knockoff Go-Pro aimed at the dash. Only fault is usually operator error forgetting to turn it on.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
When my two older sons Mike and Rob ran Late Model Circle Track cars they got the water as cold as they could and the oil as hot as they could prior to qualifying. That produced the quickest lap times.

Bob

I've always been able to go .02 quicker in my car with the "Pro Stock cool down" to under 110 degrees.

I'd run it that way except in the summer it's pretty hard to get cooled to 100 degrees when the air you're blowing across the radiator is 120-140 degrees, from off the pavement.

I've always run it cool, and rich on mixture, because I like lots of compression, and cheap 110 race fuel.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

My data collection device is a knockoff Go-Pro aimed at the dash. Only fault is usually operator error forgetting to turn it on.

I've got oil pressure, water temp, and a the replay tach in the Mega-200 for data now.

Considering a Fuel Tech 600 setup with some sensors.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
.Considering a Fuel Tech 600 setup with some sensors.

If you’re looking at FuelTech for data acquisition, now would be a great time to purchase during their Black November sales event.

Imho the FT550 would be a better deal than the FT600 that offers everything you’ll need in the same size display.

FuelTech comparison

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
My data collection device is a knockoff Go-Pro aimed at the dash

I removed this Holley Pro Dash from my car and have it on my desktop powered by a trailer brake away battery with a trickle charger on it. This dash has 9 pages of displays available. I’m designing several new displays for 2024.

This pic is in the customize mode. This will have large flashing warning banners for low oil pressure and high water temp that disappear when everything is normal.

Posts: 2464 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
.Considering a Fuel Tech 600 setup with some sensors.

If you’re looking at FuelTech for data acquisition, now would be a great time to purchase during their Black November sales event.

Imho the FT550 would be a better deal than the FT600 that offers everything you’ll need in the same size display.

FuelTech comparison

I'm still looking and pondering, but having the FT piece in my car kind of scares me, it's got features I shouldn't have.

I need less of the control, and just more on the data collection, and I'd like to be able to overlay several runs.
I'll collect the data until I have the pattern, address any issues I see, from then on it will only get collected if there's an issue.

I'd like to help the grandkids accelerate their learning of how to operate and maintain this race car. I want to finish the the car the best it can be, and it's pretty dang close right now.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
ET swings on gas will be more than alcohols, but can be minimized. What temps your engine needs depends on the fuel you use and its vaporization properties, and how efficient the engine and carb are at atomizing/distributing the air and fuel. Less efficient engines need more heat, more efficient less. As an example Pro Stock cools their engines, usually below 70 degrees and make more power. For consistency get a digital temp gauge, try to find the most consistent temps and stick to them.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Car is real good, follows the general atmosphere like you'd expect, but the thing that will get it screwy is changing dewpoint, or falling close to the dewpoint temperature between the weather station and the starting line.
I've always been able to read the track lighting haze for a warning of being right on the verge of dewpoint, dial it up, when the haze clears up, dial it back down.
Would a higher operating temperature have an effect on the suspended moisture content? Confused

Dave Cook
N375