DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Staging temperature on Gasoline
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Staging temperature on Gasoline
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
Is there an optimum temperature for consistency?

If so, 'splain your theory.

I want to help my car with atmospheric changes just a little bit. It's really good, just need it to get a touch better.

The period approaching and just after dew point temperature is hard on me.

Being that "lean is mean", would I jet down a bit and raise my starting line temperature, to help "dry" the fuel charge?

I stage at 130, have forever, and the car is jetted rich enough that I can pick up or lose .02 with 20 degrees either direction. Colder is faster.

Yes, the power difference between the "mineshaft" air season and the dog days of humidity has always been near .3 between quickest run of the season and slowest. Fat.

I'm thinking of dropping 1 or 2 sizes all around and staging at 150-160

Thoughts?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
We stage at 160 on alky and 160-170 on gas.

It's sometimes difficult to build heat on alky in the cooler temps but we always shoot for pretty much as hot as we can easily get it. The gas car gets to 160 quickly then we just use the 2nd fan to keep it from getting any hotter.
Our stuff repeats pretty damn good, I'd like to stage the alky car at 180 but that's too much work.
Without looking at past tickets I'd say .2 or less from best to worst on gas, 1/2 that on alky.

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
When on gas I staged at 160. That was a temp that was easy to repeat if we started running back to back in late rounds. I really had a hard time keeping it any cooler. I would find a temperature that is easy to maintain and go with that. You may be slower or faster than normal but consistent is what you want. On gas my et swing from summer to fall was never as bad as yours, .15 at worst. I did change the jets two sizes iirc all around. Leaner starting in May thru August.

Posts: 511 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Yes, your car will run faster in better air, all of ours do. With a carb changing jets between good air and bad air may not be helping anything.
If the carb is right then it should not need a jet change for different weather as the carb by design will flow more fuel into motor as air gets heavier and or moves larger volume of air. Over a certain RPM say 2000 you are riding on the main jets and even at part throttle the carb works good because the boosters only draw as much fuel as the air going into the motor needs. Same with wide open. If the air is heavier and as it moves more air in then it will draw more fuel. Just because car is faster in good air as it should be does not mean that you need more jetting the carb when set up right does it on its own.
Water temp if it is faster at certain temp then it is probably getting peak performance and efficiency and should be more consistent there. Choose a temp that is close to that and that you can easily repeat between rounds.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4191 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I personally stage cooler than others on here are saying when on gas. I try for about 140 when bumping into the beams with water pump and fan on

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
When I ran gas, I got it as cool as I could on water temp, oil temp is more important. On alky, again oil temp is more important, but I try to get it to about 210 or so and let it heat soak, and never make a pass below 180-190 on water temp, as car performs best in that range.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1513 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
I personally stage cooler than others on here are saying when on gas. I try for about 140 when bumping into the beams with water pump and fan on

This is pretty much exactly what I shoot for. Strangely enough, when it creeps higher than 140 on the starting line, sometimes it picks up, sometimes it slows down. I've never seen a pattern on starting at a higher temp so I just try to keep it the same all the time.

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 228 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
Go Alky its magic

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1413 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RacerVX54:
Go Alky its magic

Ran alky for over a decade

On injection it ran best staging at 165ish, it would actually cool off some going down track

Still like gas better

Posts: 842 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
140 but I have a large radiator, 55 gal pump and usually come back to trailer at 160. I always make sure to heat soak everything to keep oil temp as consistent as possible.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The OP wants consistency and should try raising the un-tried operating temps to 160+ and chart the results over different conditions. You can’t have fastest jetting / operating temp and most consistent in same package given the DA imho. Take your pick of either.

My 2850# door car moves .18 from -700 to 4500 DA. It’s predictable. Others could be slightly more consistent given the same DA.

Posts: 2612 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have you found 160 to be more consistent? I am absolutely open to testing that out.

BG

Posts: 760 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
The OP wants consistency and should try raising the un-tried operating temps to 160+ and chart the results over different conditions. You can’t have fastest jetting / operating temp and most consistent in same package given the DA imho. Take your pick of either.

My 2850# door car moves .18 from -700 to 4500 DA. It’s predictable. Others could be slightly more consistent given the same DA.

That's a nice tight spread, I need to get closer to that, and I'm willing to sacrifice the mineshaft air bonzai ET's a little for it.

I think if the weather station lines up, I'll just raise the temperature to 150 this week, and see what that does.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1771 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BG7X77:
Have you found 160 to be more consistent?

No. When it was MFI I tried 150’s , then 160’s, 170’s, 180’s. At 180’s it was very close or same as 170’s and I went back to 170’s and have stayed there for 10+ yrs. Now it’s EFI, on same fuel, and I have more control of how I want it to run.

I’m a do same thing, expect same results racer. I’m always looking at what can be changed slightly for improvement. Can always go back if it results aren’t improvement, but don’t know unless tried.

I ran my last race of the season Sunday and just switched from a 1435 cfm throttle body to a 1150 cfm and hope to do a T+T before the tracks close here to see the results which I expect/ hope are exact same et as larger TB. Want to use this in 2024 if it works.

Posts: 2612 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
When I was running E-85 & VP X85 that fuel liked the starting line temp at 170* for fuel vaporization/consistency. When I switched back to VP C12, I did the same thing & found pretty much the same results.

I've been racing with higher starting line temps ever since. While I may lose a little ET; I don't care, it's bracket racing! I'll take the improved consistency.

I think the higher temps aid in fuel vaporization/distribution in the engine.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:

That's a nice tight spread, I need to get closer to that, and I'm willing to sacrifice the mineshaft air bonzai ET's a little for it.

I think if the weather station lines up, I'll just raise the temperature to 150 this week, and see what that does.

This was last Sunday, racing eliminations off the trailer, overcast in 50’s, 1300 DA weather, on an Ok track. Good car, crappy old driver.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Started creeping my starting line temperature up this past weekend, and I think I am going to like it.
Didn't get as much data as I wished, the atmosphere stayed pretty stable, and the car was a little quicker than I might have guessed considering the humidity.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
What temp are you starting to creep up on?

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2699 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
What temp are you starting to creep up on?

2BKING
Relaxing

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
with my Mopar factory big block I would stage @ 160 where possible . Above 180/185 power would drop off definately by 190 .
I now have a World iron saimese block and it is better @ 170/175 stageing but can go 195 hot lapping and does not have power drop off , it almost seeme to buld a little more .

Tex

Posts: 71 | Location: Oz | Registered: March 16, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post