DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1-Wire Alternator Hot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1-Wire Alternator Hot
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
BG yes it does.... It was easier to add the solenoid cause i had it and didn't need to order anything.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 2 CH disconnects in the rear of my car. The main disconnect feeds the relay panel and ignition box. The second disconnect feeds the starter and continues on to the alternator.

Manually cycle the second disconnect On / Off at the beginning and end of day. This isolates the starter and charging from what runs the car.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
A few ways to resolve. A second contact on the master is best, but a relay works fine. You want the shelf state on the relay contact to be open. Power the relay coil from nground on one side and the other to battery, but after the master disconnect. So master ON, powers the relay and closes the relay contacts. Then wire the alternator to the relay C and the N/O to the battery.
A 60A relay is fine. Use 10awg wire.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293965211778

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12172 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
If the alternator is bleeding the battery down it can't be charging the way it was designed to. Most likely a shorted diode. Just get it repaired?

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11004 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas guys, I am going to install a solenoid/relay. I am also going to see if I can find someone localish to check out alternator and fix if needed. Thanks everyone.

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I do what vetman mentioned. Continuous duty solenoid near alternator. Peace of mind while towing or storing the car knowing the cable from alternator is not HOT.

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post