DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    roll bar in convertible
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

roll bar in convertible
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Racers, I am considering taking on a 2005 Mustang convertible for a bracket project. For those of you with such experience, before I go forward, what is the roll bar requirements for a convertible. Also, what is the weight difference between a coupe and convertible? [2005 Mustang]
The performance will be 6.30 - [10.00] ET range.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Short answer on the roll bar...at that performance level NHRA requires a certified full 10-point cage minimum.
IHRA will tolerate an 8-point roll bar system to 6.00 1/8th mile.

Depending on what you're doing, I would consider a F/C style ****pit, kinda do the roadster thing. Confused

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have learned the convertible is 100 + pounds heavier, so I will pass on this project.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1835 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
I have learned the convertible is 100 + pounds heavier, so I will pass on this project.

We always knew that GM convertibles were heavier.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Lose the ragtop. Cut down the windshield. Lose all other windows. tonneau cover the rest and make it a roadster.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 352 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post