DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    BBC Front crank seal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BBC Front crank seal
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Bbc blower motor with a cast aluminum front cover (milodon maybe). RCD hub. No wear mark last time it was apart but I can’t remember if I ever measured it. I’ve put at least 3 felpro front seals in and it always leaks. It looks fine but if I jack the back of the car up high enough it will leak sitting still after a day or two. Other than that it only leaks when I hit the parachutes. If I hit both chutes 1/4 mile it makes a pretty big mess. Like, put it up on jacks and empty 3 cans of break clean every pass. I see cosmetic makes a really expensive seal, anybody ever have a problem like this?

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I had a RCD hub, gear drive and billet cover on mine, not sure what seal they used but I never changed it in the 5 years I ran that motor and never had a leak.
Sounds like whatever seal your using isnt the correct seal.
Give JR at RBS Superchargers a call, I bet he could give you the correct answer
https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Not comparing apples to apples, but I had a chrome cover that leaked with the felpro seals, I had to put a bead of ultrablack on the seal and the leak went away.

Posts: 297 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I had a RCD hub, gear drive and billet cover on mine, not sure what seal they used but I never changed it in the 5 years I ran that motor and never had a leak.

I called RBS and asked for help. The lady told me she couldn’t help me.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Several companies make stainless steel sleeves that press on the seal area of a damper/hub that increases the O.D. enough to seal much better...the sleeve is intended to repair a damper that has developed a wear groove from the seal, but work very well to increase the seal against the cover seal...
Also, dont assume the hub or damper was machined to the correct size to begin with...

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4469 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I would think I’d have measured it by now but can’t remember for sure. I’ll get back to it in a few days and double check. I know rcd makes their LS hubs undersized to where you have to run a special seal unless you want it to leak. Supposedly they undersized it with the intent of using a stock seal to reduce drag which sounds pretty dumb to me.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
I would think I’d have measured it by now but can’t remember for sure. I’ll get back to it in a few days and double check. I know rcd makes their LS hubs undersized to where you have to run a special seal unless you want it to leak. Supposedly they undersized it with the intent of using a stock seal to reduce drag which sounds pretty dumb to me.

Probably so you have to buy their "special" seal for $39.95 just to find out it fits a Ford 6cyl truck or something....

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4469 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:

I called RBS and asked for help. The lady told me she couldn’t help me.

Wow that does not sound like Robbin not to check with or have JR call you back. Sorry to hear that

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hub measures 2.335 and looks fine. Seal measures about 2.300. I found a few threads where apparently the market was flooded by defective felpro bbc front seals. Guess I’ll just change brands.