DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Flexplate or starter problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flexplate or starter problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Just bought a new Hay's 168 tooth flex plate put it on and then turned the motor over by hand and after about 3/4 of a turn it started making a screeching noise at first I though it might be hitting the TCI steel midplate but later found that it was still hitting the bendix of the starter, guessing that this flex plate is warped also.

Posts: 357 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
THE CHEAPER STARTERS HAD A SHIM PLATE TO SET THEM BACK A LITTLE .IT WAS INTERNAL

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1416 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Power master starter.

Posts: 357 | Location: OGLESBY,ILLINOIS,USA | Registered: April 02, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
hey do offer the shims go to their website for an overview then check your starter you will be able to see it

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1416 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Excessive runout which begs the question..With all the threads about who’s flexplate to buy, why would you purchase Chinese garbage?

The choice is clear it’s ATI if you don’t have the need or budget for a billet Meziere.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
They are called a flex plate for a reason...I'm assuming you haven't got the convertor bolted up yet?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Don't know about a Hays flexplate but I've had the gold colored SFI rated flexplates before. You would be under the car and crank the engine with a remote switch and watch the wobble of the flywheel. I bought an ATI and it is absolutely true with no wobble at all.

Posts: 1468 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
The gap between the face of the flexplate ring gear and the starter gear should be around .100" to .140". You can check this by using feeler gauges as you spin the motor around by hand.

Sounds like you have allot of run out. At Meziere we shoot for .005" run out max.

You shouldn't rely on your converter to straighten your flexplate.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 241 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI, ATI shows all 153 and 168 internal balance flexplates as Out of stock.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Great, I have used 168 plates for sale Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with JW. House of Payne may have some flex plates in stock. Check with him.

ep

Posts: 767 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
FP300 in stock here and at summit.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 241 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
If the runout on your flexplate bothers you, just straighten it. Turn your engine over and using a large screwdriver move the flexplate as needed to get it to run true. A flexplate has to be able to flex so the natural movement in and out of the torque converter doesn't push on the crankshaft and destroy the engine's thrust main bearing. Otherwise, why not just bolt the converter up to a flywheel?

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post