DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4 link preload / body roll
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 link preload / body roll
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Hey all I have a question about 4 link preload and body roll. My 6.20 big block back half car has a pretty good twist to it after going to 3800 from 3000 launch. I needed to leave a little higher to be in my spot on the bottom.

The 4 link is neutral right now. Would lengthening or shortening my top right bar help combat the twist? An anti roll bar would be the best route I know but just trying to tune it okay right now.

Thanks in advance!

Josh VanHorne

Posts: 3 | Location: Orient, OH | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have been at the track and forgotten which way it is before, and discovered if you support the third member and car, and simply give that bar a turn, it is visibly obvious which way it goes. It will push that side of the axle down that is getting the additional preload.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Lengthen the upper right side bar which results in more weight on the LF and RR tires.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Tim’s videos are very good, I’ve watched most of them and a lot of Kevin Wilson’s videos.

I’m too stubborn to have someone else set it up so it’s time to learn. I’m replacing all the rod ends because they are very old and will put a couple flats of negative in and see how she does.

Josh VanHorne

Posts: 3 | Location: Orient, OH | Registered: August 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Buy or borrow a set of scales

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Lengthen the upper right side bar which results in more weight on the LF and RR tires.

Wrong
Shorten top right bar to add preload/weight to the RR/LF

Posts: 123 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
scales will tell you which way to turn. NahNahTounge

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
scales will tell you which way to turn. NahNahTounge

Cant argue that!

Posts: 123 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:

Wrong
Shorten top right bar to add preload/weight to the RR/LF

I have seen videos where pro's have had it backwards and even one book that was reversed. From a fella I really respect too. Easy to mis speak or write it wrong and miss it in editing.

Hell I have even seen pro's get it wrong regarding pinion angle for that matter.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6412 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Dave Morgan is no pro and never was!

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right

We can agree there. Professional writer I guess would be correct.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1674 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:

Right

We can agree there. Professional writer I guess would be correct.

This was a professional builder. And that's all I'm sayin about that.
Morgan just had a different way of looking at the picture. Not wrong IMO, but different. I like to look at all challenges in several ways. So I don't mind the view.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So which rear tire do I want to add weight to in order to combat body roll?

Josh VanHorne

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRacerJosh:

You want around 50 lbs more on the right rear with you sitting in the seat.

Shorten the top bar on the right side.

If you don't have scales, try 2 - 3 flats.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:

Look at what the car looks like at launch and it will answer your question. Although it is much harder to get a visual on a dragster. One tire is getting pushed away from the chassis, and one looks like it is getting sucked up into the chassis. You want the one that is sucking up to have more weight. If you adjust it on the ground, you can actually see or measure the car twist slightly and lean according to your adjustment.
If you can't see from a rear picture at launch or video, pay attention to what the front tires are doing. They tell the opposite story of the rear at launch. When I had my four link altered, a 2x4 under one front wheel, and adjust the bar til neutral was about right for that car.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

You want around 50 lbs more on the right rear with you sitting in the seat.

Shorten the top bar on the right side.

If you don't have scales, try 2 - 3 flats.

this.

i set mine with no one in the seat because no one is ever with me. i scale mine and make the right rear about 75 heavy. this again is with nobody in the seat. an anti roll would be a plus and something to do in the future.

ep-yes....shorten top right bar adds weight to right rear. if you think about it the top bar is running down hill. by shortening the top bar you are pulling the tire towards the ground. at least that is how my feeble mind remembers it.

Posts: 765 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ve been setting the RR 50 lbs. heavy as a baseline on all my cars for the past 15 years, even more if your LF isn’t at least 50 lbs. heavier than the RF on a door car.

My Firebird with driver

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
adding preload to reduce body roll is a bandaid at best. the amount of preload controls the direction the car goes not the amount of body roll. something is flexing in the chassis or the setup has the totally wrong springs for weight.

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
scales are a great place to start.

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post