DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4.50’s Dragster Grid Launch Retard Programming
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4.50’s Dragster Grid Launch Retard Programming
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for a starting point to soften up the launch on my 4.50’s dragster. What does a typical grid program look like? Do you start the ignition retarding at zero seconds or at a certain time out?

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Not a dragster, but may give you a few idea's

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I like to start mine .300-.500 into the run. I want to let the car react first. Also remember it will tighten up your converter too so consider that too

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My dragster runs 4.40. I retard it 8 degrees for 1.5 seconds starting at .01 after launch and bring it back in on a linear slope. The car runs the same et with or without the retard but it is more consistent using it.
FYI if you start the retard at 0.0 and pull 8 degrees or so then the grid will pull it out as soon as the transbrake button is pushed. If you are at idle then that is not good. Either pull very little at 0.0 or start it at 0.1 seconds. This allows the engine to come up on the 2 step as usual.
David

Posts: 134 | Location: Marion, TX | Registered: July 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I started mine at 0.0. Pulled anywhere from 8 to 12 degrees. Ramped it back in anywhere fro 1.5 to 2.2 seconds depending on how good the air was or how bad it was carrying the front end. That was the only thing I could do to keep it on the ground.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
I started mine at 0.0. Pulled anywhere from 8 to 12 degrees. Ramped it back in anywhere fro 1.5 to 2.2 seconds depending on how good the air was or how bad it was carrying the front end. That was the only thing I could do to keep it on the ground.

Mine idled at 18-1900.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, going to try starting pulling at .01 like davidsracing is doing and see what that does.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post