DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Towing with a 1/2 pickup
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Towing with a 1/2 pickup
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
You better recheck your calculations on those trailers. There's no way that 2 equal trailers are that much different in weight from steel to aluminum.

I've heard about 600# difference in aluminum vs steel on a 28' tag.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
most aluminum 32' are around 5500 and steel run from 8000 to over 9000.Don't ask me what you add to trailer frame to add another 1000 lbs I am just going off shipping weights listed on various site Trailer of east coast did not list weight on there site when I went and dbl checked numbers. Day I checked one might have been 34' and other 32',but still was huge difference in weights. I know our old Gold rush 45 goose neck was 6500 empty,easy to remember because it and dually where almost equal.

%000 or only 2500 its big difference. Especially when you consider car only weighs 1400 w/o driver,hell its getting to ride for free.

Sorry getting off topic and did not mean to derail thread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well,here is the thread that I was referring to in this post:

http://classracer.com/classfor...owthread.php?t=70827

I especially like the last guy's response:

PEOPLE THAT PULL WITH A 1/2 TON TRUCK DO IT BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THE MONEY OR DON"T WANT TO SPEND IT.

Yea,that is like saying that people who race in STOCK ELIMINATOR do it because they don't have the money or don't want to spend it to go PRO STOCK racing. Super Angry

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richard Hammond
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
most aluminum 32' are around 5500 and steel run from 8000 to over 9000.Don't ask me what you add to trailer frame to add another 1000 lbs I am just going off shipping weights listed on various site Trailer of east coast did not list weight on there site when I went and dbl checked numbers. Day I checked one might have been 34' and other 32',but still was huge difference in weights. I know our old Gold rush 45 goose neck was 6500 empty,easy to remember because it and dually where almost equal.

%000 or only 2500 its big difference. Especially when you consider car only weighs 1400 w/o driver,hell its getting to ride for free.

I don't know where you came up with those numbers.There's no way a 32 foot steel trailer weighs 8000 to 9000 pounds. My standard height 40 foot gooseneck weighed 8000 pounds empty. And it's all steel. What make are these 9000 pound trailers? I'd like to know so I can stay as far away from them if I decide to buy a new trailer.

Posts: 434 | Location: miami | Registered: September 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
My current 28' aluminum weighs 3400, It replaced a 28' steel trailer that was 4500 lbs. Towing the steel trailer with levelers was a lot of work. Towing the Aluminum trailer (no bars) is not a problem. The aluminum does have a mini spread with a long light tongue, steel was short heavy tongue.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
This is one of main reason I want to build new trailer with aluminum,if can swing cost. About 60% of the weight of steel,but at 40% more cost.Funny how those numbers worked out.

Every trailer I looked at weighed about 9500 for steel and 5300 or so for aluminum.Has to make towing easier and stopping lot easier even if using less than ideal tow vehicle.

That's a big weight difference. I never saw that great of a difference when I was looking at tags.

I was told roughly 600lb difference between aluminum and steel from Intech and ATC for a 28' tag . I tow with a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton so 600lbs didn't make sense for the added cost ........

I have heard 600-800. Wide I hope you didn't go for aluminum based off of your numbers.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6394 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
This is one of main reason I want to build new trailer with aluminum,if can swing cost. About 60% of the weight of steel,but at 40% more cost.Funny how those numbers worked out.

Every trailer I looked at weighed about 9500 for steel and 5300 or so for aluminum.Has to make towing easier and stopping lot easier even if using less than ideal tow vehicle.

What trailers are you comparing?

my old 2007 Pace Shadow GT Daytona 28' weighed 6820 lbs empty. A new 28' Vintage or Bravo steel trailers weigh in the 5500-5800, maybe 6000 lb range depending on options.

The new Intech aluminum I just ordered should weigh 4800-5000 lbs, again a 28'.

So in the end I should save 2000 lbs over my old trailer, 1000 lbs over a new 28' steel trailer.

The weight savings of aluminum isn't what some people think, but it's savings either way if you can afford it.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have towed with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. After I got the F250 set up like I wanted it, there ain't no way I'd go back to a 1/2 ton for towing more than about 4000 lbs. No way on Earth.

Also depends on where you're at and where you're towing to/from as well. Out here, there's hills and a 1/2 ton just won't pull them. I have been doing some hauling for work lately and using their 1/2 ton Ford. It has plenty of engine power but the gearing, the tires, brakes, they're all just not "beefy" enough to pull any appreciable loads. I've been using it to pull up to 50hp tractors from place to place and can't wait until the 1 ton arrives. I mean it's just dangerous. When an 18 wheeler passes you on the freeway and you're in your 1/2 ton pickup, it is a white knuckle ride even with sway control and a WD hitch. 3/4 ton not so much. Trailer weights are all over the place too. Interstate is right up the road from me and they list a 24' in several different weights-even though they're basically the same trailer. I don't think they actually weigh them or if they do, they're loaded differently. Aluminum. I've owned an aluminum boat trailer. I'll never own one again. You spend as much time welding the cracks up as you do pulling it. Maybe that was just my particular trailer but aluminum will only flex so many times until it breaks.

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have owned both aluminum and steel...I will take the aluminum ATC, T&E, or Goldrush any day over any steel trailer made.

I have also towed with a 2014 1/2 ton GMC pickup that has 6.2, trailer package, with tow bars and anti sway with 28 foot steel enclosed trailer from Houston Texas to Casper Wyoming. The trailer only had a T/S car in it with no motor and transmission in the car.

You can tell yourself till your blue in the face that it is safe, stable, and will stop on a dime if you want to with all the crap you listed in the trailer in the first post on this thread...YOUR ONLY B U L L S H I T I N G your self. Hook a real truck(3/4 ton or larger) to that trailer and you will spit on your half ton for years to come.

As stated before it can be done with a 1/2 ton...but seriously, don't PEE on our shoes and tell us its warm rain water.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 442OLDS:
There is a post in the tech section of another site that talks about how crazy and nuts you are to pull a race car trailer with a 1/2 pickup.I do not post on this site anymore to respond,so I will post my response here.

I have towed for YEARS (Many YEARS) with a 1/2 ton pickup.My current vehicle is a 2018 1500 Double Door Silverado with the Max Trailering package.

People are saying that you have to be "nuts","not value your life",etc.

Now I will admit,that if money was no object,there are "better" tow vehicles.However,this vehicle is my daily driver to work,which also functions as my tow vehicle for racing.It has a 5.3.My last truck had a 6.0.

This vehicle pulls a 24 ft enclosed trailer with a nearly 4,000 pound car and TONS of spare parts inside.It pulls like a dream and I have been getting about 12.5 miles per gallon.

I HIGHLY suggest an air bag kit,such as this:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com...e9E8dihoCVF8QAvD_BwE

However,I do get tired of all of the FAKE NEWS that is on the internet,and wanted to set the record straight.

And by the way,it stops fine also.
y

I just posted on CR tech. I respect your opinion. If you stay within specs you will be fine...but you still have small brakes. That’s big in my book. That’s my only problem with smaller trucks.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The GM trucks with Trailer Max come with 14bolt rear and bigger front brakes they are rated to tow 12000 lbs. Mine is just as good as my friends 2500 and i get better gas mileage with 8speed tranny and a bigger motor.

2017 Modified Sumerduck dragway Champ
2015 SBRA Footbrake Points Champ
Mason Dixon Dragway
Horse Power Innovations
E 85 Carb

Posts: 56 | Location: manassas | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Another guy over on that other post made a great point:

Do you know what the rated towing capacity of the ball, ball mount and hitch on their truck is?

The same people that say you are nuts to pull a trailer with a 1/2 ton truck probably have no idea.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I make sure my Ball mount and receiver are rated over what I tow.

Mason Dixon Dragway
Horse Power Innovations
E 85 Carb

Posts: 56 | Location: manassas | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big10pointer:
I make sure my Ball mount and receiver are rated over what I tow.

Sorry,that question was not meant directly to you.Just a general question.

DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hammond:
quote:

I don't know where you came up with those numbers.There's no way a 32 foot steel trailer weighs 8000 to 9000 pounds. My standard height 40 foot gooseneck weighed 8000 pounds empty. And it's all steel. What make are these 9000 pound trailers? I'd like to know so I can stay as far away from them if I decide to buy a new trailer.

I have a 30ft TAG and a 30ft Gooseneck. The TAG is 1' taller than a normal trailer, the Gooseneck is 6" taller than a normal trailer.

Same car in each trailer, roughly the same amount of extra stuff in each, EXCEPT the TAG is a tri-axle AND has a golf cart in it:

TAG is 10K loaded, Gooseneck 12K loaded!

No one is making a 9K EMPTY 32ft TAG unless it is a stacker!

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thats ok its a great statement/question everyone should check this.

Mason Dixon Dragway
Horse Power Innovations
E 85 Carb

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
WOuldn't it be better to use whole truck to tow with?

Sorry after reading title as posted I couldn't help myself.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
WOuldn't it be better to use whole truck to tow with?

Sorry after reading title as posted I couldn't help myself.

I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to catch that.I forgot to type "TON" and figured I would just leave it. LOL.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
IMO, you're fine with even a 4K lb car on a open trailer, as long as you have trailer brakes.
With the 24' enclosed/1/2 ton truck, you are most likely over the rating of the truck, especially in the eyes of an attorney, if you do have a wreck.
Thats almost garanteed to be the first thing they will look at.
Personally, I wouldnt take that chance, especially, as "sue happy" as people are now...

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a Featherlite 4926 24’ all aluminum to include the floor. No interior, I can hose it out, nothing to rust. This model trailer has a lower floor height and the interior wheel pockets are much higher than most. Weights 3100 empty (without spare). It has the older model 4800 lb Dexter axles that used 12x2” 5 bolt backing brake shoes. All the later models I believe are 4 bolt 10”. Loaded for the race track it’s just under 7000 lb. For me, I’d never own anything but an all-aluminum trailer.

This trailer pulls easy with my Ram 1/2 ton using a WD hitch and stops great also. I expect the trailer to provide its end of the stopping power in an emergency and check the trailer brake shoe adjustment every season. I average 5 - 8k miles with this trailer every year.

I’ve also check the braking power of my truck in the event the trailer brakes failed. I turned the brake controller to 0 output and did several fast stops from 65 mph to get a feel of what I would be up against. I’m impressed with the brakes on my truck but am also impressed with the trailer brakes when properly maintained.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post