DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1 piece rear main and timing cover
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 piece rear main and timing cover
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a 1 piece rear main seal aftermarket BBC block. I am using a Milodon aluminum timing cover (Gen V 10 bolt cover) currently that has the groove on the back side for the oil pan gasket to sit in.

I am thinking about changing to a belt drive setup for the cam but most of the offerings fit the older Gen 4 blocks with the flat oil pan gasket sealing surface on the timing cover.

Do I need a custom oil pan to make this work or can I just use a Gen 4 oil pan and gasket? Not sure if the oil pan gasket is the same at the rear main cap between the 1 piece and 2 piece rear seal blocks.

Hope this makes sense.

Posts: 72 | Location: Oostburg WI | Registered: October 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not sure on the Gen V but my old Gen VI the rear of the pan was different and when I went to Mark IV belt drive my builder just welded an piece of flat stock to from of pan where cover goes to extend the lip for it to seal up. It worked great until I broke the block. I bought a Dart block and sold the pan.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I was gonna have a piece machined to weld to the front of my old pan to use with the Dart block but found out the rear of the pan wouldn’t clear the rear main cap of the dart block also.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
My experience with the Gen V block has been that it's a real pain in the azz, on several issues.
Terrible idea, but at the time it was the only big bore block available.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post