DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Overcoming the Random Dead Hook
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overcoming the Random Dead Hook
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
So with the weather getting better here in FL my car seems to be liking it. But I'm dealing with a random round dead hook that will basically throw me red by popping the tires out of the beam. Just curious is what's everyone remedy for this? Obviously I don't want to get into a lot of chassis adjustments etc. if they can be avoided.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Get a good video to see exactly what front wheels are doing, I am assuming you have a data logger to verify dead hook?

Solution may be as simple as adding a few pounds on the nose or changing launch RPM a little.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Definitely a dead hook according to the logger. Pops the front straight up and throws it red. Doesn't do it every run so I was thinking of a maybe just going down on air pressure in the rear but trying to keep it simple.

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Add weight on the nose and start working on the shock adjustments.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:

Bob

This. On my FED just 5 or 10 Lbs would make a difference.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4019 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:

Bob

There are a few things you can do but one simple fact you can't overlook, if it's too light up front, add some weight and be done with it! Sounds like your close now so add 5 to 10 pounds, that should fix it.

No matter how much you play with the shocks, if it's too light up front, you're wasting your time! The car needs to be balanced weight wise and that varies with HP.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Uh, make it dead hook every run? Confused

No where in a bracket car setup should the word "random" appear.

goob- just sayin'

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Uh, make it dead hook every run? Confused

No where in a bracket car setup should the word "random" appear.

goob- just sayin'

Honestly.....this. Unless it is a really fast bracket car, I'd design my program around dead hook all the time.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Its a 4.90 - 5.10 door car, bracket car.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Well, if you hang weight on the nose, you may find that the random event still affects your R/T and ET, just differently.
I'd be inclined to take some swings at the 2-step RPM and rear tire pressure in 1/4 p.s.i. increments.

Is high gear launch an option?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Hang some weight on the front and drop rear tire pressure 1/2 a LB. See what that does before getting into any chassis changes. Also as others have said, play with launch RPM. 200 to 300 RPM sometimes makes a big difference.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
So should I go up or down on rear tire pressure?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
So should I go up or down on rear tire pressure?

I would try dropping it some first but it depends on what tire is doing? Is it wadding up or wrapping up too much? I like to see about 4 good wrinkles in the tire and not flattened too much. Not folding up and running over itself. That is why I said get a good video, if you can put it in slow motion and see exactly what tire is doing then you can make a more educated decision what to do.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Dragster??

Less air in rear and loosen extension a couple clicks…. Happens when its cool out ?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
Dragster??

Less air in rear and loosen extension a couple clicks…. Happens when its cool out ?

No Door Car