DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    A how to question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A how to question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted
Greetings
So I am stumped.
I have acquired a BBM project in a box. I’m ready to install the Jesel belt drive. It’s my first encounter with one of these things.
So how do you hold the cam to torque the 3 bolts holding the sprocket drive to the camshaft? I’m ready to clamp it in some soft jaws, but maybe there’s a smarter way.
Thanks
Rip

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The Jesel kit should have come with a "spanner wrench" kind of tool to hold 2 of the 3 holes at a time to allow you the torq one bolt at a time...Other than that just torq them once it's all together and just put a socket or dowel of some sort in one of the crankshaft balance holes and turn the crank until the socket rests against the pan rail

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Clamp the cam in a vice between two pieces of wood as close to the end journal as possible. Torque to spec and you're golden.....Just make sure to use blue loctite.....and the torque spec isn't much, something like 25ftlbs or so....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The comp cams ones came with the spanner wrench that Dave mentioned

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
It is just a steel rod, about a foot long, with two Allen bolts with the same O.D. as the I.D. of the hub. The bolts are exactly the same distance apart as any of two of the three holes in the hub.

You just hold the hub with the took and torque the third bolt, roatre to the next two hole and repeat, and so forth.

Here is the whole installation kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/s...e-installation-tools

DG

Posts: 415 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC4400
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
It is just a steel rod, about a foot long, with two Allen bolts with the same O.D. as the I.D. of the hub. The bolts are exactly the same distance apart as any of two of the three holes in the hub.

You just hold the hub with the took and torque the third bolt, roatre to the next two hole and repeat, and so forth.

Here is the whole installation kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/s...e-installation-tools

Thanks! I had no idea that there was such a tool. I'll confess that I clamped it between two pieces of wood, which worked fine.

RIP

DG

It's a dangerous time in America. The communists are inside the gates.
Our survival is not guaranteed.

Posts: 794 | Location: Lake Charles La | Registered: January 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Can easily make one with two allen head bolts and a piece of steel. What I did years ago and works just fine. Allen bolts slide in the holes on the cam gear steel rod to hold it.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Can easily make one with two allen head bolts and a piece of steel. What I did years ago and works just fine. Allen bolts slide in the holes on the cam gear steel rod to hold it.

That's why I posted both options!

Some folks are more handy with building their own tools than others!

Posts: 415 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Gerard:
Some folks are more handy with building their own tools than others!

Nop reason to be so touchy, just reiterating what you said. Which is EXACTLY what the Jesle tool is.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post