Find
Notify
Tools

VFN fiberglass
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted
I need to buy a hood for a 1980 Monte carlo and they seem to be the only one that makes a 4" cowl. I have done a search and there seems to be mixed reviews. How are they to deal with and is it a good product?

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 369dragster:
I need to buy a hood for a 1980 Monte carlo and they seem to be the only one that makes a 4" cowl. I have done a search and there seems to be mixed reviews. How are they to deal with and is it a good product?

It depends on your standards. I have one on my car and it is a decent fit , not perfect, but it does what I want it to. It's about 50 lbs lighter than the steel hood and I had a fiberglass scoop grafted in, painted it a textured black and put a nice set of polished hood pin bezels on it The hood gap are pretty good but it bows in the middle about 1/4 inch. IMO,not bad for the money.

Posts: 9 | Location: york pa | Registered: July 31, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Talk to Bert, he used to work at VFN, he got me to the front of the line early, and saved me $100 on their Sunoco hood.

He lives couple doors down from VFN.

Mine was perfect, big hood too. To the windshield, eliminates wiper cowl.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Dead On
posted Hide Post
Who ever you buy from you'll need to be able to do some glass work. you may need to widen it some or narrow it some. If it is bowed up in a area like a previous post use a heat gun to warm it while applying pressure. The goal is to make the gel soft enough to move it but not bubble it up. I was very lucky, I had a buddy that works at Bell Helicopter in the composites area show me how to widen and how to reshape with a heat gun. It's not really that hard but your certainly nervous the first time trying to not mess it up

Posts: 73 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
The 3" sunoco hood for my 97 S10 is near perfect. It is a pin on style. I ordered last February and got it when they estimated.

Posts: 125 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
I ordered one the other day, they are 5 months out to complete the order.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post