DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Roller lifter maintenance??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roller lifter maintenance??
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I went to bushed several years ago in my engine and will never have another needle bearing in my engines again.

One chewed up lifter that throws crap behind the piston skirts, and runs metal through the engine, and you could have bought several sets of lifters....

Posts: 1565 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I've been using Isky Red Zone .904's in my 582 (360# seat pressure, .800+ lift Bullet cam). The T&D lash never varied even after 300+ runs. Not a lazy person, I check the valve lash frequently and very carefully check the springs and retainers.

I was advised to use a multi grade (10W-40 in the Summer and 10W-30 in colder weather) oil due to the tight fitting bushings . Never been a fan of a single grade heavy oil but I run gas not alky.

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Emailed Crower for quotes on rebuilding my 903's, needle bearing HPPO's. Straight rebuild is just under $600, upgrade to bushings is about $75 more.

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Busted Knuckles:
Emailed Crower for quotes on rebuilding my 903's, needle bearing HPPO's. Straight rebuild is just under $600, upgrade to bushings is about $75 more.

That's good to know. I'm putting together another 468 to replace the current one, and I have a bunch of used needle bearing HiPPO lifters around. Thanks!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Ah, man. I was going to not freshen or do anything to my engine this off-season. Everything is fine about it, although it is approaching 300 passes since last refreshed. But I do have Comp needle bearing lifters. They have 282 runs, lash has remained rock solid all year, and I was hoping to get through next season. But now I am nervously wondering about them after reading some of the comments here. Roll Eyes

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of TheBlueTruck
posted Hide Post
I have 113 runs on my .937 BAM DLC lifters. They look good and roll good at this point. My rockers are off to T&D for service at this point also. I'll run the lifters through 2024 and probably send them in for inspection. So far so good!

Regan Wilson Super Street 469C

Posts: 297 | Location: Tyler Texas | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've been sending my Crowers in for rebuild and the cost was never more than about $250 a set. Both sets I have now have been done twice, and it was recommended to me not to go beyond that. Bob at MadCap made me a deal on the BAM DLC lifters, so I have those now for my new build. Keeping the Crowers as spares just in case....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We use Crower bushing lifters in the BBC's and last time I asked them about it they said many sets come after 1000 runs and are perfect. And yea, check lash every couple of weeks.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Busted Knuckles
posted Hide Post
Crower's needle bearing rebuild on the 842's is right at $400, upgrade to bushings is $525.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Busted Knuckles,

Organized people are just too lazy to look for their $h!t.

Posts: 488 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: November 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s my first question… At what point in a needed valve adjustment would one suspect that the needle bearings are failing?

Two consecutive adjustments required in a row (or close there to).

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Iskys for years, Used a lot in offshore stuff. Drag race 300-350 runs then rebuild. 202-96RH .842 they were like 16 bucks each to rebuild.
Last engine got some Crower .904 hppo style new. Not enough runs to know at this point.
I never let the engines sit and idle to warm up, I changed the oil about when the oil smelled gassy. Yeah scientific.
Kept up on valve springs also.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
440 SBC 790 HP turning 7600 every pass and i have 4 years on a set of the BAM DLK steel on steel .904s with 180 offset intakes and around 1400 passes at 800 lift with no issues. I plan on running them next year. I mite check lash 3 times a year. I’m thinking about buying an intake/exhaust for a spare just in case i have an issue at the track. What I've seen with guys putting 12-1500 passes on a spread port BBC i wouldn't think twice about running them to 2000 passes on a SBC. My 12 Degree BBC with Isky or Crowley i was Lucky to get 450 passes.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Since we are discussing roller lifter maintenance I have always wondered if anyone has data relating to when the camshaft profile (lift/duration/acceleration/deceleration rate) dictates using a larger roller lifter.

Example for a big block Chevy would be at what point do you change from a .842 to a .904 or to a .937 ? I imagine that at some point the weight of the lifter also becomes a factor.

Just curious

Bob

Posts: 3083 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post