New
Find
Notify
Tools

FTI power glide
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
anyone running a FTI glide with a aftermarket gear set I have had my trans for about 8 yrs has 200 passes on it and the gears are all pitted I am being told this is normal for their gear sets. trans builder has only seen this and heard of it happening with their gears anyone else run into this problem? also, the 3 pins that hold the gears are all ground down but no witness marks on what they may be hitting. I have photos but not sure how to post them.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camaro77:
anyone running a FTI glide with a aftermarket gear set I have had my trans for about 8 yrs has 200 passes on it and the gears are all pitted I am being told this is normal for their gear sets. trans builder has only seen this and heard of it happening with their gears anyone else run into this problem? also, the 3 pins that hold the gears are all ground down but no witness marks on what they may be hitting. I have photos but not sure how to post them.

Yes, and I will say that when higher quality of fluids are used, AND serviced more often, you will see less of that. I have customers that have used $20 a quart stuff, but didnt service the trans and gear set looked like you describe. I also have customers that use a cheap fluid, but service them around 50 passes, and there stuff looks new when i take it apart at 250 passes. Keep the fluid clean and changed and stuff like that wont happen as often.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of DON KALINA
posted Hide Post
THE 3 PINS THAT ARE GROUND DOWN ARE HITTING THE BACKSIDE OF THE HIGH GEAR DRUM....SEEN IT SEVERAL TIMES ..FTI DOES NOT MAKE ANY GEARS...THEY ARE EITHER

SONNAX OR BTE GEAR SETS...THE PITTING MAY COME FROM SMALL PARTICLES COMING FROM THE REVERSE RING GEAR TO THE REVERSE CLUTCH PLATE...ON A POWERGLIDE IT'S

METAL TO METAL CONTACT...SONNAX SELLS A THIN RING THAT GOES BETWEEN THE TWO..IF YOU HAVE A MAGNET DRAIN PLUG IT WOULD KEEP THE PARTICLES AWAY FROM THE

PLANETARY.....YOU COULD SEND THE PLANETARY BACK FOR NEW GEARS..BUT...IT'S NOT CHEAP...ABOUT..$ 700 WOULD BE MY GUESS...GOOD LUCK...

Posts: 58 | Location: Northwest | Registered: August 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Metal in the pan? If the pins ground down is the pitting because of the metal in the fluid? I glue neodymium magnets to the aluminum pan to catch any metal.

Posts: 1463 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Spalling, microwelding. I have had it happen on a gearset.I believe the gearset was indeed BTE, but it has been more than 10 years ago. The replacement was a TS unit and is still ok, but I switched to a 295 spec fluid.
Lack of lubricity in regular ATF. As a lubricant ATF sucks, there is no "cushion" developed between contact surfaces and you get spalling. Heavier bodied fluids such as Hydraulic oil and specialized such as Transynd type spec 295 fluids do a better job of lubrication.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Whose building it if you don't mind me asking?

------------------------------------------
killer of MT82s
Converter Guy

Posts: 25 | Location: Deland | Registered: December 09, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
TSR in NH is fixing it

Posts: 408 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
TSR in NH is fixing it

It'll be a walk in the park for those guys, it'll be excellent.

Have em throw one of their brass high flow pickup kits on it, while they have it, you'll like it. Make sure the vent is liberal / unobstructed.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
This could get lengthy but let me chime in and educate.

First of all I myself have done a large amount of testing on every brand oil out there and I have seen every brand of planetary there is so let me explain what is going on.

Galling of any metal counterparts is caused by micro welding. It can and will happen with any manufacturers planetary. Even the planetaries in the car or truck you drive down the road. I speak from 35 years of transmission experience not only in the race world but everyday world.

There is a reason manufacturers recommend certain oils for there transmissions. Not only for lubrication and temperature but for how the molecules react with certain friction materials.(clutches).

The problem IS LACK OF LUBE!!! Period. You say "my trans is full of oil it cant be lack of lube". Well it is. I spent a great deal of time and money developing an oil for bracket race use. We do not use it in 3000 plus hp cars for a reason. Without getting into a debate with an oil engineer here I will make a simple explanation. If an oil engineer is needed then I will get Buck Parker who help develop my oil who is a Nasa hall of famer for lubrication on here and we will have a discussion.

Pressure additives in the oil keep the gears from actually contacting each other. If there is not enough of these molecules then the gears will touch under load causing them to micro weld. The more power--the more load!! Put them under a microscope and look for yourself and you will see the pits. You need to run a quality lubricant in your race transmission. I will not speak of brands, but we broke down many brands of oil and many were advertised well but were lacking in quality. There were a few that are not advertised well that are exceptional quality. If you bought low quality regular "X" brand Dex 3 oil and run it in your race car for 20 runs and then change it then the micro spots are already there. Once there, they will grow. Just like a rash!! After 200 runs of this unit and someone takes it apart and then it is----_BRAND X PLANET IS JUNK!!! nope not the case. There are better planetaries than others. While the less expensive planetaries will have gears with lesser AGMA finish on the gears.(American Gear Manufacturers Assoc). As you get up in price on planetaries for more power you will get into a higher AGMA finish with a more exotic gear material. Even Micronite finishing is performed on the most extreme strength units. The better the finish the tighter the manufacturing tolerance can be held. We offer 4 different planetaries all with the same ratio. depending on your combination as to what you need.

Filter!!! It is never good for debris to be run between any gear of transmission or engine component so good filtration is a must. Understand that a screen will out flow a paper type filter with the same square inches of surface. With this being said, if a pump flows 4 gallons of oil per minute on our dyno in a standard power glide with a standard size pump gear at 1500 rpm and flows exactly the same with a screen type filter which is better to have? If you have sufficient surface area of filtration there is no benefit of a screen filter. In Fact most todays cars that you drive have a paper type filter. Why you ask if screen is better. The reason is most of todays cars have aluminum valve bodies, aluminum pumps, and solenoids inside the transmission. Just like a racecar transmission of todays world. Transmissions make metal Thats what they do. You must keep this oil free from debris. Ever had a late light and wander??? hmmmm I wasn't that late. Maybe a piece of trash went thru the transbrake valve which will cause it to hang in an aluminum valve body or even worse the valve can drag making it inconsistent. This is why we use a paper type filter on aluminum Valve bodies as does most manufacturers. It is not as critical on cast iron Valve bodies.

Moral of the story!!

Use a high quality oil.
Use the proper filter for your application!!
I hope I have helped to enlighten everyone. While I am not perfect, I try very hard to surround myself with the proper people that have the answers to build and maintain quality racing products for your cars. It is our hobby and in todays world we need to have our happy days.

Greg

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 165 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Truth.

If you ain't running ATF, you will once it costs you enough.

Someone will suggest it down the line.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Allison’s Transynd 295 for the WIN!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:

First of all I myself have done a large amount of testing on every brand oil out there and I have seen every brand of planetary there is so let me explain what is going on.

Galling of any metal counterparts is caused by micro welding. It can and will happen with any manufacturers planetary. Even the planetaries in the car or truck you drive down the road. I speak from 35 years of transmission experience not only in the race world but everyday world.

There is a reason manufacturers recommend certain oils for there transmissions. Not only for lubrication and temperature but for how the molecules react with certain friction materials.(clutches).

The problem IS LACK OF LUBE!!! Period. You say "my trans is full of oil it cant be lack of lube". Well it is. I spent a great deal of time and money developing an oil for bracket race use. We do not use it in 3000 plus hp cars for a reason. Without getting into a debate with an oil engineer here I will make a simple explanation. If an oil engineer is needed then I will get Buck Parker who help develop my oil who is a Nasa hall of famer for lubrication on here and we will have a discussion.

Pressure additives in the oil keep the gears from actually contacting each other. If there is not enough of these molecules then the gears will touch under load causing them to micro weld. The more power--the more load!! Put them under a microscope and look for yourself and you will see the pits. You need to run a quality lubricant in your race transmission. I will not speak of brands, but we broke down many brands of oil and many were advertised well but were lacking in quality. There were a few that are not advertised well that are exceptional quality. If you bought low quality regular "X" brand Dex 3 oil and run it in your race car for 20 runs and then change it then the micro spots are already there. Once there, they will grow. Just like a rash!! After 200 runs of this unit and someone takes it apart and then it is----_BRAND X PLANET IS JUNK!!! nope not the case. There are better planetaries than others. While the less expensive planetaries will have gears with lesser AGMA finish on the gears.(American Gear Manufacturers Assoc). As you get up in price on planetaries for more power you will get into a higher AGMA finish with a more exotic gear material. Even Micronite finishing is performed on the most extreme strength units. The better the finish the tighter the manufacturing tolerance can be held. We offer 4 different planetaries all with the same ratio. depending on your combination as to what you need.

Filter!!! It is never good for debris to be run between any gear of transmission or engine component so good filtration is a must. Understand that a screen will out flow a paper type filter with the same square inches of surface. With this being said, if a pump flows 4 gallons of oil per minute on our dyno in a standard power glide with a standard size pump gear at 1500 rpm and flows exactly the same with a screen type filter which is better to have? If you have sufficient surface area of filtration there is no benefit of a screen filter. In Fact most todays cars that you drive have a paper type filter. Why you ask if screen is better. The reason is most of todays cars have aluminum valve bodies, aluminum pumps, and solenoids inside the transmission. Just like a racecar transmission of todays world. Transmissions make metal Thats what they do. You must keep this oil free from debris. Ever had a late light and wander??? hmmmm I wasn't that late. Maybe a piece of trash went thru the transbrake valve which will cause it to hang in an aluminum valve body or even worse the valve can drag making it inconsistent. This is why we use a paper type filter on aluminum Valve bodies as does most manufacturers. It is not as critical on cast iron Valve bodies.

Moral of the story!!

Use a high quality oil.
I hope I have helped to enlighten everyone. While I am not perfect, I try very hard to surround myself with the proper people that have the answers to build and maintain quality racing products for your cars. It is our hobby and in todays world we need to have our happy days.

Greg

The voice of experience!

Thanks for this Greg.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FTI:

Moral of the story!!

Use a high quality oil.

Greg

Way to explain everything very clear! Thank you Greg for contribution

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Greg

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post