DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    lateral or gas ported piston HP
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lateral or gas ported piston HP
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok in another thread Curly1 said his dyno guy had told him gas ported pistons/rings worth about 50 ho on a 1000 hp engine. No room to argue but seems like lot. Even if half that it is a good bang for buck. Mostly thinking about lateral ported pistons, just for discussion's sake.

Wondering what others have found or been told about power gain gas-ported pistons/rings are worth?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Years ago we gas ported pistons through the top of the piston deck into the back of the top ring land. The idea was to create pressure behind the ring forcing it out against the cylinder wall as the piston rose in the cylinder.

That worked great right up to the point where the small h0les became plugged with carbon. Lateral gas porting the piston solves that problem.

Personally I've never done a A - B dyno test with the same engine but the overall results seem to prove it's worth the small investment. This process effectively allows the use of thinner rings such as a .043 or even thinner .031. At first I was skeptical of laterally gas porting a piston and using a thinner ring package for a bracket engine. That wasn't the case, it worked great and lasted far longer than I originally thought possible. I ran TRW 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring packages for decades, gas porting with thinner rings changed my mind.

Along with this I am a firm believer in vacuum pumps to reduce the pressure below the piston. Reducing the pressure that is created below the piston has quanifyable positive results, that you can verify on a dyno.

The other area often over-looked is reducing the oil windage in the pan. There is power and reliability in this area. Many little things that require a little work can add up to big things.

I have a simply question for anyone: What always happens when you increase the stroke?

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RPROGAS,

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Lateral IMO for mainly the reasons listed above.
You see the majority of vertical gas ports in the top of the piston, I think it is because they are much easier to drill the holes. When I was in the planning stages of my blower motor I talked to Keith at total seal about gas ports and a boosted engine. He said lateral without question

Posts: 2434 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
In interesting reading found while researching the ported piston and rings.
https://rehermorrison.com/ tech tip 22

Hard to argue too much, but sure some will.LMAO

Posts: 4197 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
doing a bunch of reading on the subject. Never know too much to learn more unless you are too stupid to know you do not know everything there is.

I am a firm believer that small gains add up. Both power gains and weight loss. I love it when someone says 10 hp gain is not worth crap it does not show on et slip. Nope, but 5 or 6 of those will. Just like 4 lbs off nothing but 30 off will show. May not be ton but it adds up in long run. Remember I am guy who will spend two hours machining a piece to get 1 or 2 lbs off.It is money free gain.Now time wise not so much.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
Years ago we gas ported pistons through the top of the piston deck into the back of the top ring land. The idea was to create pressure behind the ring forcing it out against the cylinder wall as the piston rose in the cylinder.

That worked great right up to the point where the small h0les became plugged with carbon. Lateral gas porting the piston solves that problem.

Personally I've never done a A - B dyno test with the same engine but the overall results seem to prove it's worth the small investment. This process effectively allows the use of thinner rings such as a .043 or even thinner .031. At first I was skeptical of laterally gas porting a piston and using a thinner ring package for a bracket engine. That wasn't the case, it worked great and lasted far longer than I originally thought possible. I ran TRW 1/16, 1/16, 3/16 ring packages for decades, gas porting with thinner rings changed my mind.

Along with this I am a firm believer in vacuum pumps to reduce the pressure below the piston. Reducing the pressure that is created below the piston has quanifyable positive results, that you can verify on a dyno.

The other area often over-looked is reducing the oil windage in the pan. There is power and reliability in this area. Many little things that require a little work can add up to big things.

I have a simply question for anyone: What always happens when you increase the stroke?

Bob

I agree with all of it...

Dykes rings were popular many years ago but they don't work as well as gas ports. I ran them in my flat top SB engines...
And yes gas ports will plug up with carbon in the top
Side gas ports will not and work well

.043. 043. 33MM oil and lowish tension is fine with a vac pump.....and very common now on shelf pistons

Look at NHRA Stockers to tell you what rings work best and they spend 2 Grand on special ring packages....thin rings with spacers and gas ported rings since they can't do it to the pistons or run thinner grooves.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
It is cheap horsepower and you can buy gas ported rings with out having to get special pistons.

You have to buy rings anyway, look into it and see if they are available for your pistons. If so spend the extra $63 dollars or what ever it is and take the horsepower.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I guess a set of rings swapped after and if get few real runs would tell story,Except have pistons for dyke rings in car.

yea the rings are cheap part. the bigger lot higher compression pistons are the real cost.

While I know some diagree about gain with compression and tighter tuning window. It allows me easy versitility. If I get 15"1 with .040 gasket. I should be around 13 at ,090 gasket. Only engine change would be adjust intake for spread and rocker adjusters out .050 more, so nothing.

Now the if the gas ported rings pick up 25 hp which I would consider alot and 3:1 copressions boost I should be getting the most I can out of what I have. At minimum I will have new rings this winter, but I want that extra compression and bore.

Still looking into what ported rings gain over dyke rings also.

Please guys this is a next year over winter thing and has nothing to do with me running car this year. Still trying to hit every chance track is running something I can play. Hopefully get more shots next week and few other chances this year. So no I need to run car before changes. Believe it or not trying like hell.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Call Total Seal and ask them what they recommend and what is available for your pistons.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Only thing going in my Pistons top ring wise I a .047 dyke. The second will be a 1/16 ring gapped or gapless and 3/16 oild probably low tension. No matter what I do they will not grow or build more compression.
Right now get by with swapping out some oil rings and send it. The worst leakage was 8% on one cylinder and the rest well below. Have an exhaust valve to work on,but hell it is a bracket deal and every 001 not that important. On old cars at 8% on Saturday night I would be chasing it and the bad valve would be out and new one in.

Figure if do pistons and rings, with compression. Throw on the new intake with better runners and bellmouth entries which has to help.I might get enough bang to justify the bucks. To me and I am hard to please.LOL

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I know what can get for my pistons I am getting new pistons and rings and working on that package.Like everything else after covid take for freaking ever to get anything. Even rings some choices are not available and materials to make them not on hand at the moment.

I Was told mine might be little quicker since i did not want valve pockets finished and had wrist pins for them. Still 3 or 4 months.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Although post was more about pwer gains than choice of ring for all other reasons mentioned. Lots of good replies and no bs about not a bracket racing car or bad mouthing folks' opinions. IMO result is more information exchanged. Cool Deal!

Looking around net for info on dyke verses ported ring ings

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
after seeing my leak down recently and my e.t. im not sure it matters much other than bragging rights lol

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Once again:

What is the one thing that [i] always /i] happens when you increase the stroke?

Just askin'

Bob

Posts: 3086 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I guess I was doing something wrong then, never once had gas ports plug up with carbon when I was running gas....

The thing about gas porting, is it allows for you to be able to run low tension rings which reduces friction, hence increases power output. Then add a vacuum pump, go to a dry sump or a really big oil pan with large kickout to help control windage, and there's some more gains for you...

I run .043, .043, 3mm rings, low tension on the oil, with a dry sump and vac pump. I maxed out the regulator on the vac pump and hold about 19-21" all the way down track...works for me........

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1486 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post