DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Starting line water temperature on Alky
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting line water temperature on Alky
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted
What temperature do you stage your Alky motor at???? I have been staging my SBC 441 at 160 but wondering if staging higher like 180 if my car will be more consistent
Thx

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Brian, I usually stage at 160*. I try to get it to 170*, (and it does seem to be a touch more consistent for me there), but it can be a struggle because my idle mixture is a bit fat.
Still very consistent at 160 tho.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I try to get at least 160* before burnout and want 170*+ when I stage. Really probably should be 180+.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4026 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I try to set mine up so it doesn't matter much.
Mine doesn't seem to care as long as above 155. Usually around 160-165 entering waterbox but been as high as 175-180 with no difference. That said though making sure to enter the burnout box at adequate temp is more important in the cold racing conditions though.

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
With injection its super easy to get where you want it,especially for dragsters. Just use lean out to get it close before burn out and if need more just close about 50% when backing up. There are ways to cool it if needed,but always starts big debate.

I am going to make me a shut off with detente where it will build most heat and still drive well,once I find that spot that is.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4193 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
As for as lean out do you have to worry much about detonating...

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 358T:
I try to set mine up so it doesn't matter much...........................................................................
Scott

Exactly. If the tune is right it won't be finicky about temperature as long as a reasonable minimum is met.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
For me at really all depends on what I am doing for the day. If its just me in the car I will usually shoot for 165ish on the starting line. If I am doubled with my son I stage higher 180 on the SL so we can better maintain temps. I dont really notice a difference.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1989 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I pull into the water at 175* with my 355 on alcohol. The hotter it is, the more consistent it gets.

I was told a long time ago by a very successful racer to stage it at the same temp it would be late in the day going round robin. Whatever it would be late, that is what it needs to be on the first run.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 743 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:

"stage it at the same temp it would be late in the day going round robin. Whatever it would be late, that is what it needs to be on the first run."

^^^ Always. On gas or alky. (Bracket racing, not heads-up). Never understood the guys you see pushing their cars up the lanes before Round 1 or 2 to keep them cool on a hot day. Fat chance you'll see that same engine / coolant temp again in the semis, (but probably never get there anyway).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1039 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I always liked to pull into the water at 160* and would stage in the 165-170 range. Whether its 160 or 180* just make sure you do the same thing everytime and you will be fine. Just doing it the same everytime will make your car more consistent.

Posts: 2433 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
140 in the waterbox for 15+ years. MFI, Methanol, BBC 565, 598, 615 iron heads, aluminium heads, did them all the same way. Why are you guys looking to get to 160. I've done the whole 160 or so temp in the water box before and never saw any benefit. Mine will hover around 145 to 150 staging temperature and never really build or cool off sitting there idling unless i'm in a really cool staging battle then i'll occasionally reach over and lean it out a tad to make sure the temp don't go down too low.

Also tried the 160 and 165F deal on the engine dyno, ZERO change. I am trying to understand why you guys are staging them at 160.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
140 in the waterbox for 15+ years. MFI, Methanol, BBC 565, 598, 615 iron heads, aluminium heads, did them all the same way. Why are you guys looking to get to 160. I've done the whole 160 or so temp in the water box before and never saw any benefit. Mine will hover around 145 to 150 staging temperature and never really build or cool off sitting there idling unless i'm in a really cool staging battle then i'll occasionally reach over and lean it out a tad to make sure the temp don't go down too low.

Also tried the 160 and 165F deal on the engine dyno, ZERO change. I am trying to understand why you guys are staging them at 160.

ONE reason for me: I can't say for sure that when I am going rounds even maybe doubled, that I can get that car driven back to the pits, fueled, and cool enough to make that happen at 140. I can usually get 160-170 pretty easily with the pump and even the fan if needed.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6410 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Good point Bucky. I rarely have trouble with the motor but the trans is a different story when doubling so i'd be more concerned about the trans. The motor always seems to cool down, but i always make a stop at the trailer for refuel, check tires, and plug charger in while im filling the tank, write down some stuff then head up for the second entry. Water temp is usually a non issue if it is i'll ride up with the fan and wp on. 140 can be challenging but usually have enough time. More than likely its because i rarely ever carry 2 cards late enough in the race to where times between runs are really tight.

Posts: 375 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Nickel:
140 in the waterbox for 15+ years. MFI, Methanol, BBC 565, 598, 615 iron heads, aluminium heads, did them all the same way. Why are you guys looking to get to 160. I've done the whole 160 or so temp in the water box before and never saw any benefit.
I am trying to understand why you guys are staging them at 160.

Triple Nickel, that MFI system of yours could be the difference. With my setup, (1050 2-circuit Dominator), I begin to have issues with stumbling or sluggishness(?) when trying to quickly get up on the converter, when my water temp is at 150* or cooler. My shooter nozzles are huge, and I keep my idle mixture a tad on the fat side to help prevent the problem, especially on cool nights or after a long track cleanup.

Dan "Jim" Moore

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Stage at 170...if I turn fan on...it is immediately going down in temp...easy to control temps...

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post