DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD Digital 6+ ignition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD Digital 6+ ignition
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
I was sold on the superior 2-step function, versus the old 6AL with the plug in 2-step, but I'm finding it a little inconsistent.
I already knew that the RPM chips were notoriously inaccurate and had a dial potentiometer connected instead of chips on my old setup.

As I'd expect, the higher the ambient temperature, the lower the set RPM, but it also seems to vary + or - about 50 RPM from run to run.
Maybe it's the resolution capability of my Mega-200 replay function? Actual variation may be 15-25 RPM but the tach only registers 50 RPM increments?

Anyone else using one?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
I have used one on my Nova for many years. It's been flawless and is now paired with a grid.

I have never checked the consistency of the 2-step. I just set it and forget about it. The grid recordings show a "normal" bounce in rpm on the 2-step, I've never looked to see how much movement though.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
MSD Grid ReView will display every output pulse and the engine rpm. With Grid 7730 and 2-Step set to 4000 rpm this is what I’ve experienced using a crank trigger. Varies from 3940 to 4040, about 100 rpm difference. Grid allows you to program the 2-step in 50 rpm increments.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post