DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Interesting, Testing spark Plugs.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting, Testing spark Plugs.
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
TD .... Haven’t tried the Brisk. We have run the E3, Denso, Autolite and NGK. We never run them without ohm test first. Since most are made elsewhere...

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that ran Brisk plugs and his sbc did not gain anything. It was a 12:1 SBC, roller cam, mid 6 second 1/8 mile bracket car.

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
years ago I ran Autolite Racing plugs until they would start missing in less than 100 passes. Checked at the time with Tracy Dennis who confirmed he was seeing the same and he made the change to NGK in his builds and I followed his advice.

Same here. Autolites would begin missing in as few as 40-50 passes for me. Switched to NGK,and I have never had one start misfiring. I change them once or twice per season out of guilt. Roll Eyes

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
: When should I use a resistor spark plug?
A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.
NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.
They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.
In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.
from ngk ,did some other reading not sure if it matters now, oh well

Just for clarification, the above quoted NGK info pertains to their "R" Series (Resistor, OEM Type) plugs, which have an italic "R" on the insulator, (separate from the Part Number). The Resistor type plugs will have an R as the 2nd character in the P/N, (Example, P/N YR5, which is the OEM equivalent for an LS5 powered 1970 Chevelle SS454, and is also spec'd for a 1979 C10 half-ton pickup with a 350). It does have 5,000 OHM resistance
The NGK Racing plugs have an R as the first character in the P/N, (such as the R5671A-8 that I use), and they are all spec'd at 1 OHM of resistance, (Non-Resistor).
You can see for yourself, at NGK Part Finder

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FootbrakeJim,

Dan "Jim" Moore

Posts: 1035 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
thanks jim that info helps.lol i wasnt actually going to change anyway.r 5671a -10

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks jim that info helps.lol i wasnt actually going to change anyway.r 5671a -10

Wondering how many guys who thought they were running resistor plugs with their MSD ignition boxes, are now going to pull out those perfectly good non-resistor NGK's, just because MSD says to run resistor types? (Hopefully none, unless someone is having electrical gremlin issues).

Dan "Jim" Moore

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
So the R5671A-10 is a non resistor plug? Honestly I always assumed it was resistor. I have so much electronic stuff in my car that less noise is always a good thing.
But what would be a good replacement?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:

Wondering how many guys who thought they were running resistor plugs with their MSD ignition boxes, are now going to pull out those perfectly good non-resistor NGK's, just because MSD says to run resistor types? (Hopefully none, unless someone is having electrical gremlin issues).

lol.I will have to check it with the radio on.
Thought you would never ask.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm using the R5671A-10
Is there a resistor equivalent?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6403 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:

lol.I will have to check it with the radio on.
Thought you would never ask.

Funny but I watched a Stock Eliminator World Champ pull out a hand held am radio to find an electrical gremlin in his car. It was the water pump motor!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I tried to find a resistor equivalent due to problems with my Haltech setup. I’ve resorted to using br7 something something because there is nothing colder or even gasket seat from ngk unless you can fit the bigger hex which I cannot.

Well, not exactly true. Summit lists a part number for something close to a r5671a-9 but I think it’s $10/ea and on back order

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post