DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Methanol and epoxy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methanol and epoxy
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Racers,

We have a very nice pair of fully worked Brokix Track 1 heads. They have some epoxy at the pushrod pinch and we are running them on Sonoco race gas because of the epoxy. The epoxy is of an unknown brand but the heads have run for several seasons without a problem.

The question, how can we determine the type of epoxy and will it compatible with Methanol.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Now that may be a drawback to alcohol in your case.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4024 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
larry i have not had any come out because i didnt try it,but everyone says the epoxy will come loose.if there is only a small amount of epoxy just remove it for the alky.

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1415 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not sure how it works in your situation. I have rebuilt deck surface on a blown alcohol engine with Marine tex and won the race. Ran block that way for 4 or 5 races and it will still then when repaired in off season. Again it was not really subject to alcohol contact like inside a port.

Can you sleeve the pinch area that is how our billet heads are done. Simply drill hole little bigger and have sleeve few thou smaller. Heck do like guides. Bake heads at 280 for 30 minutes. Remove and insert frozen sleeve. Prepare to live in shop for one week as wife is going to be pissed.LMAO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Do not do it. Had an intake that had epoxy in it. The alcohol loosened it up and it came free. wedged the valve open and piston smacked valve.

Stephen Liss jr

Posts: 329 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Call Reher Morrison, they can tell you exactly which epoxy to use.

I had an intake Reher Morrison did loaded with epoxy, I burned thousands of gallons of methanol through.

BMF BBC intake, made Power - arcana

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Belzona 1111 will stay. It is just expensive.

Abbott Racing Heads
(432) 558-2841

Posts: 39 | Location: Crane, Texas | Registered: January 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SpeierRacingHeads
posted Hide Post
Splash Zone will stay as well if you prep it. I also use a product from Devcon called 2-ton epoxy that you mix 1-1 and seal it.

I have epoxy is lots of stuff! Smile

Posts: 1405 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: January 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
I re did my 18 degree small block heads for that same reason ! I used the Splash Zone epoxy and that was 10 years ago and no problems at all ! The Splash Zone is water soluble so you can mix it and use rubber gloves and keep them wet with water ! you can use your finger to smooth it out and not even have to grind it ! Works great !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post