DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    2015 GMC/Chevy 2500/3500HD Duramax
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2015 GMC/Chevy 2500/3500HD Duramax
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Ed, the Denali package is beautiful. Do you tow with a tag trailer? I was wondering about sway control and the SRW short chassis combo? I've always wanted that combo but was talked out of it by others because of my 32' tag trailer.

Mark Brown

Posts: 197 | Location: Lake Worth, Florida | Registered: May 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Single rear wheels and no rim screws ...that's what i call living life on the edge . Rolling

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtpimp:
Single rear wheels and no rim screws ...that's what i call living life on the edge . Rolling

Oh, he'll get screwed..........................................................by the dealer!!!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zoom Zoom:
Ed, the Denali package is beautiful. Do you tow with a tag trailer? I was wondering about sway control and the SRW short chassis combo? I've always wanted that combo but was talked out of it by others because of my 32' tag trailer.

Mark, I do tow a tag trailer and have not had any sway issues towing a 26' for the past 10 years nor last season with a 32' tag with my current SRW 2500HD standard bed, what you are refering to as short chassis. That said, I just don't have the need for a dually(no gooseneck/5th wheel) and with this truck being my daily driver, parking at work would be is an issue.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We have a 2013 3500 silverado and it pulls our 26 footer, and gets great mpg. I dont have an exact figure, but we can go from long island to Atco and back on less then a half a tank. Our old 6.0 gas 2500 suburban was 2 tanks

EXTREME Racing Engines - Staria's Transmissions

Posts: 264 | Location: Long Island | Registered: July 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Thanks Joe. Whatever happen with your quest to buy a dragster?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Thanks Joe. Whatever happen with your quest to buy a dragster?

Not in the cards unfortunately at this time for me. Instead making my fathers monte so we can still run 8.50 index but be able to bracket race it as well

EXTREME Racing Engines - Staria's Transmissions

Posts: 264 | Location: Long Island | Registered: July 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I've got a 2015 chevy 3500 dually. 4x4.

Towing 28 foot trailer fully loaded with dragster, I average 11 mpg at 70. No issues. 9k miles so far. Average empty mix of city and highway I'm getting 17.

Posts: 20 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Drew, thanks for the reply.

Joe, good luck this season.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of scarab1999
posted Hide Post
04 extended..210,000 miles...zero problems to date...it did have an injector recall that gm took care of...no charge new injectors installed at 80,000.
19 mpg daily....11.5 towing.
i change oil and filter every 5-6000 miles; trans filters every 30,000, fuel filter every 15,000 miles..i did have to put a new hitch on last year (rust killed the original)....best truck i've owned!

Posts: 97 | Location: troit | Registered: September 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
When I bought my new car in 2011 I really wanted a truck but with about 80 miles of daily driving, it was not economical. I do like that the newer trucks are seeing a lot better gas mileage. A truck may be an option on my next purchase.

What I don't like is seeing I can buy a few rental properties for the price of a nicely equipped 2500 truck.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My question is this, is it economical to buy a diesel truck verses gas with the additional amount of upkeep over the life of the vehicle?

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No, but there's no gas pickup truck that has the capacity nor the power to pull/tow the typical bracket racer's enclosed trailer on par with a diesel truck.

<DOTracer>
posted
I agree, the $8200 diesel engine upgrade plus $600 trans is a tough pill to swallow, but once you tow with a diesel, it's real hard to go back to gas.

It's nice to cruise around at 1200 rpm (3200 rpm redline) compared to a gas engine that you have to rev alot harder to do the same thing.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The Duramax Plus Package includes the Allison trans as well an engine block heater, gear change to 3.73 and driver alert package for $8,845 MSRP less $1,500 for package discount for a net of $7,345.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It's all in your economics. I use my truck for everything. It is my winter storm vehicle and my work on the farm truck. Anything that hits an Illinois road in the winter will rust. It doesn't matter how often you wash it.(and I have taken good care of mine) I see 4 year old Chevy's here with significant rust. I just replaced the rockers and cab corners on my 2000 because I can't stand rust.
My point here being: My 6.0L still runs like new after pulling a 28' trailer loaded all over. I could get a diesel that would last longer, but I would need a spare body to go with it!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I bought a new 2006 DRW GMC Duramax 3500HD 4x4 Crew Cab SLT for my LTL freight business. Sold it in 2010. Loved it, should have kept it, had absolutely no issues. Left it factory OEM (no programmers, etc.). Pulled as much as 25K with 30' flatbed trailer loaded.

Bought a used (104K miles) 2007 GMC 2500HD Sierra Classis SLT, DuraMax, SRW, Crew Cab in early 2013. Love it, will keep it. Had a minor issue with O-rings in the fuel filer/primer housing I wasn't aware of till this winter. Fixed that and with the previously installed PowerUP Diesel programmer at Econ70, fuel mileage is 17+ combo (DIC shows 18.6 average).

Haven't had the opportunity to evaluate highway trip mileage since I repaired the filter housing but looking at actual fuel usage to mileage on short trips, indications are around 22+ mpg. Before I fixed the vacuum leak in the fuel system, towing mileage averaged 11 mpg, highway 18.5 unloaded, 15 city, with the programmer.

[quote: Shawn Pinkerton]What I don't like is seeing I can buy a few rental properties for the price of a nicely equipped 2500 truck.[/quote]

^^^^What Shawn Said^^^^^^

Ed, don't think I'll be buying another new truck...... until the Chinese knock off comes out!

Posts: 8 | Location: LIMESTONE, TN | Registered: December 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of SC105B
posted Hide Post
Shawn was that the car you picked up right before I was introduced to the Giant Pancake??

TNR Token Pipe Rack Driver...because quotas have to be met... The Axeman Cometh!!!

How the Hell did I end up back here....& when the Hell does it start gettin better!!

Posts: 1473 | Location: Back East again.. | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SC105B:
Shawn was that the car you picked up right before I was introduced to the Giant Pancake??

Absolutely!! No one wants to steal a Ford Fiesta out of a parking garage in downtown Akron!!

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My 2001 2500 Duramax still runs and looks like new, 143,000 miles, GM did replace the injectors at around 100,000 miles.

Posts: 266 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post