Find
Notify
Tools

MFI fuel usage
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
How much fuel are you using with MFI driving up and back?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4237 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just another of the

quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
endless posts asking about mostly meaningless BS

That doesn’t apply to 99.9% of bracket cars and bracket racers!

quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Ok I am not a bracket racer

We KNOW!

So to use your words…

“If it is not a bracket race related thread why are you here?”

Again this isn’t the forum for you.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
So everybody is chasing Ed. In what 20 minutes he is posting some kind of crap on a thread that is about something he knows not a thing about. Just to start crap.

Guess I need to state a question for those with actual information only.

Posts: 4237 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
AGAIN, you are NOT a bracket racer, your POS FED is NOT a bracket car.

This forum is BRACKET TALK

so why are you here posting another of your

quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
endless posts asking about mostly meaningless BS

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
ZERO methanol

I ran a Primer Plus with a Terminator on my last dragster before I went back to a gas carb.

A True Bracket car is set up to make laps and not worry about running out of fuel.....LOL

I also welded up my own tank for primer gas and it held well over a gallon....could make a number of runs without adding gas

If you run on methanol all the time you'll use a lot.

I won a Div. race in S/C in my old car with only a gas primer and a Terminator

I was out of fuel by the last run, had to borrow some from a buddy....

I brought 4 jugs plus the 4 in the car.....24 gallons in about 10 runs.

Can't win with a dead battery or if you run out of fuel....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Well already gone through the battery issue. Hope good there for a while. Although no alternator due to a lack of electric accessories I do not see if issue if having to skip charging for one or 2 rounds. After that yea I might have issue. If do hell it is only a bracket race.LOL

If going to have enough tank to make 3 or 4 rounds with methanol I am going to need a Fuel car size tank.LOL 2 shots are a may be and that is big maybe. Pretty sure enough time between rounds to dump 2 or 4 gallons of fuel in car.Always have a jug on 4 wheeler if needed,

You mean you can run MFI on gas? LOL Pretty sure a law against that..

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Same as SCDIV1 when I used MFI. The primer plus was on anytime I was not on the racing surface. Where one is pitted makes a huge difference in fuel consumption. One track I’m over 3/4 mile from turn off to pit area. Another track less than 1/4 mile. Now that I switched to EFI, I only use the primer plus for the drive to staging lanes. At the closest pit area two weeks ago, I made 8 runs 1/8 mile on 5 gallons of methanol and less than 2 gal of 93 octane with a sbc. I have 3 gallon cells front and rear.

My EFI will switch from methanol to gas (93 to 110) with one key stroke of attaching the laptop to the ecu. I can purge the fuel system of fuel and change it over in less than 15 minutes. Some have dual injectors and can switch immediately.

I never charge the car battery at the track…….NEVER!

Posts: 2504 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Last weekend I made 5 1/4 mile runs over 3 days, using 3-4 gallons of gas and 6-7 gallons of methanol.

I only use gas before the burnout, but drive most of the way back to the trailer on methanol.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3173 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If you use the lean out....and you should....and your cooling system is up to snuff, you really won't use much.
My rule of thumb with the small block cars running low 8's is roughly 1 to 1.5 gallons per run. We are under 1 with efi.
Running in the 6's i'm at 2 gallons or so.
Driving up and driving back.
1/8 mile tracks are less.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6421 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 434 olds
posted Hide Post
My small block Olds had an Injectorator set up on alcohol. I made just over 800HP with it. I never used gas to start it or warm it up. Based on racing at Norwalk Ohio since it`s a very long track, i would drive to the lanes, do a burn out , make a pass, (8.58) and drive back to the trailer. I only have a 3 gallon fuel cell and i would use about half that. I would go out there with 5 jugs plus the fuel cell was filled and i would have fuel left over after 11-12 passes all weekend. I`m much more efficient with EFI on the car now. With the SBO i would use about one gallon. Now with the 706 getting towed to the lanes and picked up, it still uses about a gallon of fuel.

Not for anything else wideopen, what difference does it make how much fuel people use. I can tell you for a fact that a good amount of people that run MFI, run it way too fat and using massive amounts of fuel. When i went to EFI, i put the engine on the dyno and the amount of fuel and timing that i took away, i made 877 HP and the car ran 8.32. I went from 34 degrees of timing down to 26 total where it made the most power.

Worlds Quickest And Fastest 71 Cutlass On The Planet Earth

Posts: 536 | Location: Oak ridge, N.J | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea mine is too fat and working on that. The only time I have shut off full open is before burnout and run. I have a detent built into shutoff handle so as to run at same point. Agree most run mfi very rich at idle and when tuned out it is not necessary.

Leaning Bv some and nozzles some. I am considering my dual line setup that runs one set and then a second set comes in when the throttle is open past half-throtle. The problem is with MFI two sets of nozzles mean vey small nozzles
As for how much I use I do not care about amount for the weekend as much as getting set for more efficiency for the engine and better oild life.

Looks like system is off more than thought and need to work on low side.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
My fuel usage I posted earlier before I had a primer plus was during a 3 day race with warmups each day

When I first ran MFI and was at a track like Cecil and pitted well past the finish line, I had a buddy bring me 1 gallon in the lanes. I had no idea how much fuel I would be using.

Didn't need it and yes using the fuel shutoff to lean it out is your friend.....builds heat and cuts fuel usage

I also ran an alcohol carb with a slide type leanout valve.....and did not use a lot of fuel.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
3 Gallon cell of methanol here, MFI, drive it to the lanes make 1/4-mile run, drive it back to trailer, and have a ~gallon left. Empire or ESTA. I use the RP O2's to trim the barrel valve.

Posts: 107 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
How much fuel do you use MFI?

Nature of the beast MFI does not have squirter nozzles and pump so you make it fatter at idle to make it take gas good from idle. Many carb builders are fat at idle to for same reason.

Most of the fuel you use will be for the 5 or 10 minutes driving it up there and back, burn out, backing up and staging. The few seconds you are racing you do not burn much.

You can tune MFI or carb even to where it does not use nearly as much fuel at low RPM. Problem with that is when air gets good car will stumble at the hit and you just lost.

Too fat and it will milk the oil and use a lot of fuel.

My low RPM tune up on both MFI and carbs are a little fatter in good air than a Texas Summer tune up. I do tend to keep my tune up rather lean but I watch the weather.

Also as you know with MFI if your barrel valve is not right it can get hard to start. You know lean barrel valve until it spits and stumbles then fatten it back up to where it works good. Fatter barrel valve is more fuel it uses, leaner less fuel heats up quicker but too lean and it will bite you.
I use 1 to 2 gallons per pass usually and about half that with alcohol carbs. There is a lot of variables there to. If I want to build heat in the motor I will lean it out on way to staging lanes and take my time getting there until temp is where I want it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4065 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If you have good pressure at idle through the nozzle sizing and bv setting. You can have great throttle response w/o being overly rich.

I have read a few posts here about the throttle response of MFI not being as good as a carb. Not insulting anyone. If your MFI has less response than carb either you have something off or one he11 of carb builder. My problem has always been making it easy to control rpm w/o a big jump for slightest pedal input. I was told this is why MFI would not work well for a foot brake car.

With top or bottom bulb racing I do not think response would be big concern since most are off idle some before got WOT.

I have primer system.Pulling off main fuel line and right now too lean to drive car around on it.

I may need to add a gas system for primer as building heat is almost impossible right now.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have good pressure at idle through the nozzle sizing and bv setting. You can have great throttle response w/o being overly rich.

THIS!

If your MFI has less response than a carb, either you have something off or one he11 of carb builder. TRUE!

I have primer system. Pulling off main fuel line and right now too lean to drive car around on it.

I may need to add a gas system for primer as building heat is almost impossible right now.

Work on your system! That gas primer is not needed. Name one other type of race car (not a drag car) running MFI and methanol with a Primer plus system, it's a crutch.

Block and Pan heaters help. Its methanol it needs heat.

Our car idles, drives around the pits, and we can do a K turn in our driveway, no problems.

Posts: 107 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Work on your system! That gas primer is not needed. it's a crutch.

Don’t need an ac source to power oil/water heaters that need time to heat. Immediate starting in weather under 50*. Uses less fuel to get engine to desired temps even if using a lean out valve or reducing BV opening. Excellent for drying out engine after using injection.

Posts: 2504 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 69427:
quote:

THIS!

I never intended my system to run car around pits nor be on gas, I was referring to others' comments. Never had a primer plus. My system is just a pump with a solenoid and a line running through hat that shoots 8 x.018 shots of fuel to fire car up. Rather do bottle but can not always have another to fire the car.

If your MFI has less response than a carb, either you have something off or one he11 of carb builder.

I have primer system. Pulling off main fuel line and right now too lean to drive car around on it.

Work on your system! That gas primer is not needed. Name one other type of race car (not a drag car) running MFI and methanol with a Primer plus system, it's a crutch.

Our car idles, drives around the pits, and we can do a K turn in our driveway, no problems.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post

Our car idles, drives around the pits, and we can do a K turn in our driveway, no problems.[/QUOTE]

I never intended my system to run car around pits nor be on gas, I was referring to others' comments. Never had a primer plus. My system is just a 12v pump with a solenoid and a line running through hat that shoots 8 x.018 shots of fuel to fire car up. Rather do bottle but can not always have another to fire the car. Could just shut off right after shut off and let vac pull fuel to light. I rather lean out till revving up then click it with lines about dry.

Nothing is a crutch on car. I am always working on the system or trying something.

As for block heater it is the crutch you speak of too. Unless it attaches to the side of the block not much way of doing so.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I've had 2 cars with Terminators

First one just a gas primer and it made starting much easier...never any problem idling or with throttle response

Second car with a Primer Plus was even better.

Saved on fuel usage and only used the Primer Plus to drive to the lanes and warming up

Again throttle response with a Terminator is MUCH better than any carb and the Primer Plus is not a necessity but I liked having it and felt it was the best way to run an alcohol injected car

Adjusting the BV with a Terminator is simple and I loved those systems

Only reason I switched back to a gas carb is it is far more user friendly for S/C throttle stop racing and my car was just about as fast with a gas 1050 carb as it was with a 2100CFM Terminator

No difference in consistency either......

The best induction I ever had in my years of running with them all.....An Alcohol 1050 conversion done by APD that was a Stinett gas carb previously....That thing was deadly....and I never should have traded it off for the 2100 Terminator....