DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Low Buck 350 Bracket Build
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Low Buck 350 Bracket Build
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
Quick question, is the car street driven, or track only?
And what does that converter stall at?

Whether you are wanting to be competitive at bracket racing, or just want to maximize the car's potential, Dave / Goob is right. Get yourself a tach. Even a basic one. It will let you be be more consistent by hitting the same shift points, and it will let you shift at the optimum RPM to run your quickest.

I agree with most of the other suggestions, other than smaller carb. If you have the gear and converter, I am more in line with Bruce / Curly's thinking.

If it is a track only car, methanol will pick up some ET & MPH. And assuming your exhaust is free flowing / open, more cam would probably help a lot, as would more compression. If milling the heads is not an option, call a few of the cam companies and ask for recommendations based on your combo. There are grinds that will increase the dynamic compression, ("fooling the engine" into performing like it has more static compression).
Where do you race in Texas, I race in Texas myself.

Posts: 67 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
quote:
Originally posted by VORTECPRO:
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
What does it run now? 60' times? What suspension? Carb is big, how is it jetted?
Before trying the rocker be sure to check valve to piston clearance and retainer to guide clearance.
Were good on both guide and PV, 224 @ .050 cam. I don't remember the jets but I did dial it in at the track. Suspension is factory type TQ arm with Viking shocks on the rear. 60 foot so far is 1.43 best, but I hope to improve on that when it cools down.

1.43 60'is pretty good, what is this car running now? Are you running 1/8 or 1/4 mi?
Shift points and knowing RPM drop would help.
I've run both, 6.87 660 10.89 1320, looking for 10.60s this fall.

Posts: 67 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
6.80's is pretty good, I had a flat top 355 in my Camaro ran about the same, mine weighs around 2750 without me. Methanol really wakes it up.

Posts: 1560 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind my asking, why do you refuse to run Alcohol? I went to Alcohol in 1998 and it is faster, seems more consistent, runs cooler and I do not have to run my fans and water pump as much to cool down after a run. It is cheaper to.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4234 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
If you do not mind my asking, why do you refuse to run Alcohol? I went to Alcohol in 1998 and it is faster, seems more consistent, runs cooler and I do not have to run my fans and water pump as much to cool down after a run. It is cheaper to.

It's NA gasoline and carburetors for me. Where do you race at in Tx?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
North Texas area. My local track was Redline / I-30 but it shut down again last year. So Xtreme Raceway Park (XRP) is my best option these days.
Kind of shut down my racing for the year while I work on the new car for next season. Might still get out 1 or 2 more times yet.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1090 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
quote:
North Texas area. My local track was Redline / I-30 but it shut down again last year. So Xtreme Raceway Park (XRP) is my best option these days.
Kind of shut down my racing for the year while I work on the new car for next season. Might still get out 1 or 2 more times yet.

Xtreme the concrete palace is also my home track, best track in the US!