DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    helping aluminum rods survive
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

helping aluminum rods survive
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Oil temperature.
Pre-heat the oil if you can, normal heat soak for the crankshaft, and monitor the oil temperature throughout an event. I always heard that oil temperatures above 250 degrees would junk a set of aluminum rods.
From BME
quote:
Engines with BME Aluminum Rods must not be run at high load or high rpm until oil temperature reaches at least 130 deg. F. Lastly, while Red Line oil lubricates reliably at oil temperatures up to 300 deg. F, the recommended oil temperature for an engine using BME Rods is 160-200

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1674 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Back in the mid 70's I worked for a guy who ran a modified production Camaro, a 331 inch motor with tunnel ram, big roller cam and aluminum rods. The only thing he ever broke was valvetrain stuff.

Posts: 22 | Location: trenton ohio | Registered: July 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how much alum rods grow when up to “temp” but I think maybe that’s more of an issue??

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4514 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Been working with aluminum rods since 1987, and it's always my first "go to" choice for connecting rod material. There are so many different factors that actually determine rod life. Design, vehicle weight, HP, driver, piston weight, pin weight, ect..

It's just as easy to under engineer a rod as it is to over engineer a rod. Additional gram weight from over engineered is not a good thing at all.

When we see darkening on at the 12 and 6 o'clock position on the bearing, it is an indicator that the clearance is typically too loose in conjunction with the lack of oil swedging. we've tightened up .0005-.0007 and it's gone away.

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Well Ill share my thoughts and real world experience. The engine in my S/ST car made well into the 4 figure area, could go 161+ in S/ST at 2975. We ran GRP 5300 rods in the engine. The last two freshen ups of that engine were 323 and 404 passes. Rods were then sent back to GRP for inspection and were given clean bill of health. The 323 pass set went in a street car after that and are still going strong. You mileage may vary of course. I did nothing special, other than warm the car up at the beginning of the day and let it heat soak before the first run. I clicked it off in the lights on every run as well.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post