DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Practice tree, desk or full size
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Practice tree, desk or full size
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Racers, for those of you who employ a practice tree. Tell us about your equipment and methods.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
Portatree with full size tree and LED in Top bulb only. I also use the cable that allows you to hook the transbrake wire to it. With that setup you can utilize bump down buttons and set delay in your box. I have mine setup with a weather pak connector.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Wildman
posted Hide Post
Biondo final round,full size, practice in the car.

Posts: 109 | Location: at a dragstrip near you | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WILDMAN:

Same here....If you are a beginner, the table top is OK to get started but you can't beat setting in the car using the box and button like you are setting on the line. I use the relay and hook it up to the trans brake wire.

Posts: 1565 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Portatree Eliminator Next Gen tabletop. Set it on top of hood or air cleaner and use TB button on steering wheel to activate.

Posts: 2462 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I found an old biondo final rd 2 with a full size tree on Facebook for 300$. I just cut one of the hand switches and use 2 jumper wires with alligator clips to connect to my tb button wires. Works great and the power doesn’t even have to be on in the car

James Stringer

Posts: 36 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I just sold my full size port-a-tree with top LED bulbs with cones and 40ft cable, desk top unit, cable to connect TB button, cable to hook to solenoid wires and use K&R Z-force delay box with port a tree desktop controller. I haven't used any of it for 5 years.

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I really like my Porta-Tree Next Gen.

My wife got me the full-size tree last Christmas. It’s really nice, but it’s so bright I have a hard time using it. I don’t have a huge shop to set up in though.

I definitely don’t use it enough to justify the cost. With the correct setup, I do think it is better to practice looking at full-size bulbs.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a full-size tree that I built many years ago using Biondo supplies. It is a good tool and I benefited from it, however, as posted above, it is difficult to set up at the correct distance and lighting conditions.

For me, the most practical setup is a desktop wired into your trans brake button.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a hand held "Tag Systems" tree with a Biondo foot pedal attachment plugged into it. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

My wife got me the full-size tree last Christmas. It’s really nice, but it’s so bright I have a hard time using it. I don’t have a huge shop to set up in though.

I definitely don’t use it enough to justify the cost. With the correct setup, I do think it is better to practice looking at full-size bulbs.

My wife came up with this at a Christmas party we had a few years ago. We were doing a practice tree tourney in the house and the lights were way to bright. She went and go a few pairs of women's black nylon thin socks that we put over the bulbs. It works great to reduce the glare that you get in a small place.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyB6255:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:

My wife came up with this at a Christmas party we had a few years ago. We were doing a practice tree tourney in the house and the lights were way to bright. She went and go a few pairs of women's black nylon thin socks that we put over the bulbs. It works great to reduce the glare that you get in a small place.

That’s a pretty good idea. What I don’t like is that when I’m racing, I like to focus in on a tiny cluster of LED nodes within the bulb. I wouldn’t be able to see those through the stockings. I’ll give it a try though.

Or I could leave the top bulbs open but put shades in the rest. Some things to experiment with. Thanks!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3159 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a full size Biondo with LEDs set it up in the shop you can turn off most off the overhead lights to simulate after dark -really helps me I try to wear this thing out but so far so good lol

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I use my practice tree box by setting it on the hood, and wired to my trans brake button.

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tyler Laue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WILDMAN:

Same but portatree

Posts: 18 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: August 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
Tabletop is best. A full size is not good for practice.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
Tabletop is best. A full size is not good for practice.

Why so?

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
For those using a full tree, especially for bottom bulb, how far away are you from the tree when practicing? I would think for top someone could come up with 1 bulb and a timer you could practice with.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
have measured from start line to tree at several tracks they average about 40 feet but vary on height most are about 4 foot to bottom yellow my biondo has just enough cord to get it there lol

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I hit my full tree inside the car 25 times a day last off season, and I can tell you I hit the tree at the track better in the first 3 months of the season than I ever have.

I will be starting that regimen again this month now that the car is done.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post