DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MSD Grid TB Lockout Control
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSD Grid TB Lockout Control
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
THIS wiring diagram is the Best Transbrake “Lock Out” method that works in both Box and No-Box that is controlled by Grid imho.

Unlike the Lock Out feature in the Delay Box that if bumped will manually need to be reset or left to time out, this feature only runs when the Time From Launch Timer is running in Grid and the RPM programed in Output Switch is achieved during an actual run.

If you inadvertently bump the TB button when staging using the Delay Box that has the Lock Out programmed for 9 seconds, you have to find/ push the reset on the delay box to reset. For me having old eyes and a box that is mounted 90* to my right this is hard to do. With Grid in control, the Delay Box will automatically reset in 1 second time out.

Because more racers are using transbrake valvebodies that will lock up in more than 1 gear (my 3 speed has a 1+2 brake and FTI now offers an “All” gear 3 speed) using this method in No Box is a great safety alternative.

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Ok, let me get this straight....Currently I run the grid, but have the lockout delay function in my delay box and it's set so it won't reset unless the ignition is turned off, or it times out. It's cost me a couple of races and several passes because of hitting the brake button too early.

If I do this, and set it up like you have it here, this will stop that?

I launch at 5500 rpm...have a separate button for backing up...what do I set it too in that case?? Just wanna make sure I get it right

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Ok, let me get this straight....Currently I run the grid, but have the lockout delay function in my delay box and it's set so it won't reset unless the ignition is turned off, or it times out. It's cost me a couple of races and several passes because of hitting the brake button too early.

If I do this, and set it up like you have it here, this will stop that?

I launch at 5500 rpm...have a separate button for backing up...what do I set it too in that case?? Just wanna make sure I get it right

If you follow my installation and programming instructions, you will only have to wait for the delay and crossover timeout for your delay box to reset in the event you bump the TB button.

If you program the Output Switch to the values in the photo it will work correctly in any Launch RPM setting.

What delay box model are you presently using?

Posts: 2457 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Here's what the TB lockout event looks like in the Grid Data Acquisition of my box / no-box car. This event is being controlled with the MSD 7760 3 Stage Delay Timer Module.

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I have an older Mega 400

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I have an older Mega 400

With Mega 400, the Relay terminal 30 will be attached to a ground. Disable the Push-button Interrupt Time in Mega.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Are you worried about the relay bouncing under vibration? We ran a similar system only activated by the starting line enhancer. We made about 300 runs so far between both cars and had only run where the car left very early. I looked into using a solid state relay but I can't get it to work since I'm trying to control a ground circuit.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:
Are you worried about the relay bouncing under vibration?

No. I use a quality Bosch relay ( 0332209158 diode protected) mounted to the relay board Thermoformable ABS mounting plate that uses rubber vibration mounts to mount to the floor.

I installed this in early 2018 and have 2 full seasons (over 300 runs) and no problems.