DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    What is "anti-squat"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is "anti-squat"?
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
I see the term "anti-squat" referred to often online in print and on YouTube.

What is the definition of anti-squat? Is it merely a catch-all term to refer to the separation between the axle and the chassis upon launch? The movement downward of the axle as the suspension drives it down?

I've seen anti-squat referred to as a percentage; how do you calculate or measure that?

Thanks!
Troy

PS, I did just order a copy of Jerry Bickel's book. ;^)

Posts: 346 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
It's currently being discussed in the "Big tire, not so fast door car...." thread. Copied this from Mike Ritow's post. I had seen it before.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
I see the term "anti-squat" referred to often online in print and on YouTube.

What is the definition of anti-squat? Is it merely a catch-all term to refer to the separation between the axle and the chassis upon launch? The movement downward of the axle as the suspension drives it down?

I've seen anti-squat referred to as a percentage; how do you calculate or measure that?

Thanks!
Troy

PS, I did just order a copy of Jerry Bickel's book. ;^)

The closer the IC is to CG, the higher percentage of anti squat

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
If you look closely at those pictures it will help you learn how the four link works. But even then it is not that simple. Weight, wheelbase, center of gravity, tires, shocks, Anti-roll bar all can change how the car needs to be set up.

One note as you move further away from neutral the shocks work harder and dampening becomes even more critical. In fact shocks are very important in making a car work right.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Anti-squat is the opposite of squat. Squat is what guys do when they T-bag ed behind the snack bar at the track.. Laughing Hard

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4475 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is the mother of all touché's!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Ah, thank you much guys. I'll download and save that neat diagram.
T.

Posts: 346 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Anti-squat is the opposite of squat. Squat is what guys do when they T-bag ed behind the snack bar at the track.. Laughing Hard

After that vision I want to rend my clothes, dress in sack-cloth, and sit in ashes!!

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FastLane
posted Hide Post

Posts: 397 | Location: Parked... | Registered: May 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:

That should be on the Quotes thread.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4035 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
There's always a trade off with squat and anti squat.

Springs support the weight of the car. Too light a spring and they compress too much when vehicle weight is sitting on them. Too stiff a spring and you might as will be running solid suspension.

Shocks on the other hand control the action of the springs. Neutral squat means the back of of the car doesn't rise or fall. Squat means the back end of the car drops down which also means the diff is lifting off the track. Anti squat is when the back end of the car lifts as the diff is moving down and driving the tires into the ground. Too much anti squat and you can get a lot of tire shake.

As for the shocks with anti squat, you want the shocks loose extension so that they'll extend quickly then allow slow compression as the vehicle moves down the track.

As with everything else, they are a tuning aid. Too much anti squat and you can get tire shake. Too little and you get wheel spin.

My car has anti squat however my IC is too high and I pull the front wheels too easily.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1353 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Cool explanation, Stephen; I wasted many years not knowing that stuff.
Will certainly keep in mind that warning about tire shake from too much anti-squat.

I've been told that the springs are the muscle of a suspension system and that the shocks are the brains.

Off topic, perhaps but-- how did you get an S10 manual brake master cylinder to work with (I presume) disc rear brakes?

Thx again,
Troy

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Off topic, perhaps but-- how did you get an S10 manual brake master cylinder to work with (I presume) disc rear brakes?

Thx again,
Troy

I use a manual proportioning valve mounted beside the drivers seat.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post