New
Find
Notify
Tools

Contingency
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Let’s face it, the purses paid out at NHRA races are rather dismal at best. There, I said it but everyone knows it. In fact, other than some minor increases to the – dare I say (wink-wink, after last week’s Blog) – Sportsman classes, the actual cash paid out from NHRA; be it a national or divisional event; has really not kept up with the times.

Read more at https://dragracingactiononline...2022/01/contingency/

Posts: 154 | Location: Beaver Springs, PA | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
"Drag racing for money is like eating Jello with chopsticks. You'll get a bite every once in a while, but mostly you'll be hungry."

Contingency??
Manufacturers can't afford to have their name on your car anymore, too much liability.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Really; to much liability? Explain!

When everything is coming your way, your probably in the wrong lane.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Between a Rock and a Hard Spot, USA | Registered: December 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Not even close to what it once was! Gobbled up greed.
I get companies verification process but some of them have too harsh restrictions. We run the parts and decals. Wheels for example. They Have a cutoff time in years.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you have the Part and the Sticker from the Manufacturer on your Winning Car you should get Paid.. Voiding payout because you purchased the Part 3 years ago instead of 2 years ago is clearly a way to avoid honoring their Contingency advertisement..There are some GREAT companies who pay quickly and without a hassle, Moroso, Comp Cams/Edelbrock, VP,PAC,Summit ..A big Thank You to them...Weld Wheels does Suck...The fact that you have their "Sticker" on your car is a "Win" for them....I dont think it is a Liability issue at all...Every product that I have purchased for the Race Car has a Liability Disclaimer somewhere to help insulate them from Claims..Paying you $ 100/200. dollars doesn't increase their exposure IMHO...They just love to advertise that they have Posted thousands of Dollars for Contingency...However the Racer isn't the beneficiary...

Posts: 228 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The NHRA Contingency program today compared to almost any decade going back about 10 years is pitiful

When you add in the dollar value drop over those decades, it's much worse....

You have to question your sanity to spend thousands and thousands of dollars to win a Wally and chump change......

We're all guilty of it......It's an addiction and the $$ doesn't matter and NHRA knows it very well.....

Car count quotas fill up in minutes for popular events in some categories....

Many Lucas races have very good car counts......

It ain't the money anymore for the vast majority racing NHRA......It was when I was first at it I can tell you that for sure.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by S/S Dart:
If you have the Part and the Sticker from the Manufacturer on your Winning Car you should get Paid.. Voiding payout because you purchased the Part 3 years ago instead of 2 years ago is clearly a way to avoid honoring their Contingency advertisement..There are some GREAT companies who pay quickly and without a hassle, Moroso, Comp Cams/Edelbrock, VP,PAC,Summit ..A big Thank You to them...Weld Wheels does Suck...The fact that you have their "Sticker" on your car is a "Win" for them....I dont think it is a Liability issue at all...Every product that I have purchased for the Race Car has a Liability Disclaimer somewhere to help insulate them from Claims..Paying you $ 100/200. dollars doesn't increase their exposure IMHO...They just love to advertise that they have Posted thousands of Dollars for Contingency...However the Racer isn't the beneficiary...

This exactly!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4503 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Drag racing for money is like eating Jello with chopsticks. You'll get a bite every once in a while, but mostly you'll be hungry."

That's a good comparison. A few years ago, an acquaintance of ours showed up for a jr race with a new to him toter and stacker. There was a conversation a few weeks later about jr money races. His wife piped up that they can't afford not to go to the money races because they have all this expensive equipment to pay for. Roll Eyes It's like a crack addict. Or a gambling addiction.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
as stated there are really good companies that pay. then there are others who are so cryptic in the requirements that you have to be a computer software genius to find them on their web page.

oh you didn't get paid because you did not supply a proof of purchase, fill out a registration form on line for the product, show a serial number, provide a w-9 and give us a stool sample.
where are these said requirements posted? oh, they are on our home page somewhere.

ep

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You pay at the gate….you should get paid when you leave the gate…I’ve never seen the attraction…

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
How about the gift certificate for 1/2 off something you will never use? I’ll post cash, might not be much but you can spend it anywhere. Ask the racer from KY that got our $500 at the WFC last year—-no strings attached.

Posts: 6214 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
But, how about the IHRA manufacturer contingency program for National and Division races. Laughing Hard

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Does IHRA even exist anymore !!!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:

If there is an incident that causes injuries and / or any lawsuit action, I will guarantee that EVERY name or brand associated with that car will be named as defendants in the suit. 100%

If the lawyer can swindle 20 companies out of a little bit each, it's an easy payday. The cost of defending even a frivolous suit sometimes exceeds the payout, everyone settles then walks away.

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1666 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Scarth:

If there is an incident that causes injuries and / or any lawsuit action, I will guarantee that EVERY name or brand associated with that car will be named as defendants in the suit. 100%

If the lawyer can swindle 20 companies out of a little bit each, it's an easy payday. The cost of defending even a frivolous suit sometimes exceeds the payout, everyone settles then walks away.

That's a stretch and has never been an issue and is really not true

If there was a specific part failure that caused a crash and injuries or worse.....sure a lawyer is gonna chase that but proving it is gonna be difficult

If it was true the lawyer community would be all over drag racing looking for payoffs.......ambulance chasing....

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Okay.
Just tell your insurance carrier that you are going to sponsor a race car. Let me know how that goes. Wink

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ahh....just think about it

Think NASCAR
If what you say is true there would be no decals or sponsors on their cars and the sport would not exist. They crash, spectators have even been injured. I’m sure there were lawsuits and settlements but not at a level that has hurt the sport

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
https://www.sportingnews.com/u...bc7gssi149nhtp7q3ok5

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
You don’t race NHRA class for the money, you race it for the prestige. As to contingency, most of the current contingency sponsors pay without issue. Weld, Magnaflow and ATI make it very difficult to get s check with all their exceptions and requirements. Those that don’t pay, get removed from my car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
Contingency? How about nhra themselves? They've used every lame excuse they could conjure over the years to raise everything from entries to memberships.
The ONLY thing that has not gone up is PAYOUTS, still the same as they were when entries amounted to 1/3 of what they are now!

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11005 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post