Find
Notify
Tools

Crew members
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
When most stop laughing at idea. How many crew members do you have? By crew member I mean someone who is there most every week you go to track, not the hey you racing this weekend,can I go guys.

Finding out that while do not need 4 or 5 like with a pro car, Having one is not a do or die,but sure as heck makes life easier for the light bulb, owner, tuner and whatever else job you take on.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 3; me, myself & I. Big Grin

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2569 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea but are they dependable?

Posts: 4199 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Very & have won me many bracket races over the years!

Now, in my older years I would like just one dependable crew member to assist. I haven't found one yet.

2BKING
Relaxing

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2569 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
My problem everyone i know is old and lets admit it takes some work to run a car.

In totaly different deal with my norm has been 4 or 5 guys rather working on or driving my own stuff back in the depth of history.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Most all bracket racers set up so they can do it all them selves. Someone to help is always nice but I do not count on them being there.
If you need 4 or 5 people to race then you are probably not a bracket racer.
Really cracks me up the idiots that bring 43 people to the starting line to hold car while doing burnout, 5 to help them stage then run a No Time something like 7 seconds 1/8 MILE and they jump up and down cheering like they did something?
A real bracket racer burns out, lines up and runs it and does not need anyone else. They have the car set up to run laps and stay cool, It is dependable and easy to do.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I generally run by myself, and set my car up so I could. I do have a couple of friends that would help whenever they could though, and my daughter always does when she's able...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1489 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Over the past 60 some years of racing I've been blessed to have several friends and Family members help me. Each one was smarter than me and willing to make personal sacrifices to go to races with me. I learned a long time ago to surround yourself with people who are smarter, it's how you learn. Presently I rely on the help and advice from two people, Rich Ambler and Barry Poole, as I said earlier both of them are smarter than me.

My only gift was than no one outworks me my "Time clock" doesn't have a quitting time.

Bob

Posts: 3088 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Most all bracket racers set up so they can do it all them selves. Someone to help is always nice but I do not count on them being there.
If you need 4 or 5 people to race then you are probably not a bracket racer.
Really cracks me up the idiots that bring 43 people to the starting line to hold car while doing burnout, 5 to help them stage then run a No Time something like 7 seconds 1/8 MILE and they jump up and down cheering like they did something?
A real bracket racer burns out, lines up and runs it and does not need anyone else. They have the car set up to run laps and stay cool, It is dependable and easy to do.

So Curly are you taking uip the director of what is bracket racer now. LOL Know you will love that one.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea I run my car as a one man operation. It takes a lot of preplanning I never had to do with pro-style cars. One thing I have found with the FEd that makes a second great is backing car out of pits. If you have never sat in a FED and tried turning around to look back you will not understand the amount of tight fit it is. Maybe need backup camera.LOL

With crap that has been happening.Like PTFE oil line breaking, the transmission cooler leak last week, and the primer solenoid leak because can not mount upside down. I feel like I need a crew guy to check for leak or let me know what rack personnel are freaking out about.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Yes the FED is hard to see out of to back up as probably most dragsters. You could go on Ebay or Amazon and get some Motorcycle mirrors. They are small, lightweight, have many different mounting options and aerodynamic and could help you see to back out.

As for the PTFE line breaking my guess would be bad fitting connection or kinked hose. The PTFE is better for some applications but it is not as flexible and if you kink it you may have a problem. They are more of a pain in the tail to install the hose ends. At least the ones like the Fragola I use which are very good.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4039 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Nim Rod
posted Hide Post
I'm an army of one almost exclusively

------------------------------------
Not Hot Rod, not Super Rod, not Quick Rod, but the one and only NimRod

Posts: 216 | Location: The Weeds | Registered: August 10, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Alot depends on the type of car you are running. Generally the bracket car is just me and a buddy occasionally comes along. The TS car required a dedicated crew guy, same buddy so I could only race when he or my son were available. So didnt get to race it much and ultimately why I sold it. On the heads up guy we can do it with just the two of us, but prefer when we have another peron with us especially if it can be my sone. As he knows the routine and we dont need to babysit. He also crews on a nostalgia nitro funny car on occasion.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 990 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curly1:
Yes the FED is hard to see out of to back up as probably most dragsters. You could go on Ebay or Amazon and get some Motorcycle mirrors. They are small, lightweight, have many different mounting options and aerodynamic and could help you see to back out.

As for the PTFE line breaking my guess would be bad fitting connection or kinked hose. The PTFE is better for some applications but it is not as flexible and if you kink it you may have a problem. They are more of a pain in the tail to install the hose ends. At least the ones like the Fragola I use which are very good.[/QUOTE

These had very easy-to-install hose ends. I had the guy at hydrualic line place here install them in a press. High-pressure crimped hoses.Not say I will not break them but I will say doing everhting I can to keep it from happening. Well one thing might keep them from breaking is not putting ion my fed. Not LOL

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
Alot depends on the type of car you are running. Generally the bracket car is just me and a buddy occasionally comes along. The TS car required a dedicated crew guy, same buddy so I could only race when he or my son were available. So didnt get to race it much and ultimately why I sold it. On the heads up guy we can do it with just the two of us, but prefer when we have another peron with us especially if it can be my sone. As he knows the routine and we dont need to babysit. He also crews on a nostalgia nitro funny car on occasion.

Yea a knowledgeable crew guy helps a lot, Last weekend an old crew guy from Funny Car team was helping. The week before high school buddy helping. While he is a very smart guy with lots of car knowledge. I had to tell him most things I needed him to do, whereas old crew guy just fell right into it for the most part.

Right now with all the crap going wrong and the driver included. Having someone outside of car looking crap over helps calm me down and hopefully get me to do my job better, Have sucked at it past two weeks.