DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Trading instead of selling race car stuff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trading instead of selling race car stuff
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
What is with all the ad's we are seeing now with guys looking to trade this or that? What am I missing? Is this a tax thing or ex wife thing or something? I would like to give cash money for some of the stuff I see. But it would mean buying what they are looking for and trading them for it. LOL

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
My Dad always said, "I figger they will trade for cash"

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1833 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I almost always prefer a trade. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Smile You both do better than a cash exchange. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It's typically the same type of jackass that wants to "raffle" off his race car because he knows he'll never get what he wants for it by trying to sell it. But if you start asking about taxes and cash value in lieu of the "prize", they get pretty defensive.

Posts: 118 | Location: Imperial, CA | Registered: September 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fivecentcharlie:
It's typically the same type of jackass that wants to "raffle" off his race car because he knows he'll never get what he wants for it by trying to sell it. But if you start asking about taxes and cash value in lieu of the "prize", they get pretty defensive.

They call them waffles on facebook to get around the raffle policy. I have friends who can't pass one up. I point out that they could have purchased what they are bidding now if they had all the money they have spend on waffles.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by fivecentcharlie:

They call them waffles on facebook to get around the raffle policy. I have friends who can't pass one up. I point out that they could have purchased what they are bidding now if they had all the money they have spend on waffles.

My friend has a Facebook group where he raffles off dirt modified tools/parts/equipment. It has a big following and he gets about 30-50% markup on whatever he raffles. And people line up all day long to do it. He’s even done complete race cars. People see that a ticket costs $100 and buy it for the chance to win a car for $100...they’re either not smart enough to know the math that he takes in much more than its worth or they just don’t care. His group has been going since the start of COVID, I thought they would have shut him down by now. I bet he makes $500/week on it, sometimes more. He figured out as the saying goes why lotteries are a tax on the poor and stupid.

On the other hand, a fellow drag racer has been doing some raffles for cars lately and they look pretty fair in that he’s taking in about what the car is worth.

Posts: 714 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Trading is a pain

Most people don't offer a trade unless they know THEY (not you, the seller) are coming out good on the deal. Occasionally it works (for the seller) but not often. I've been on both ends. Last car I traded, I did extremely well with; came out GOOD, but prior not so much.

It is a gamble if you ask me

Posts: 540 | Location: central Ar | Registered: June 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Cash is king

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
GTM

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Only way I do a trade is if its totally useless to me and other guy has something I need pretty bad. Cash is till best and makers the world go round.Ok gold probably should be in there instead of cash

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4189 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
To each his own on personal preference. Barter and trading was the original and only way to exchange goods and services. Currency/money/cash came into existence to aid in flexibility of exchange. A guy with a cow may not want 15 or 20 chickens in a fair exchange. So the guy with the cow accepts 3 chickens and $X.00 dollars in a fair exchange. Trying to eliminate money only works with the exchange of goods/services of equal value. It's pretty much as simple as that.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
To each his own on personal preference. Barter and trading was the original and only way to exchange goods and services. Currency/money/cash came into existence to aid in flexibility of exchange. A guy with a cow may not want 15 or 20 chickens in a fair exchange. So the guy with the cow accepts 3 chickens and $X.00 dollars in a fair exchange. Trying to eliminate money only works with the exchange of goods/services of equal value. It's pretty much as simple as that.

I hear ya. But the way I see it, now instead of two fellas arguing over what one thing is worth, they get to argue over what two things are worth. At least with cash you know what the cash is worth!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I used to ask the same question, why not just sell ???

Well........... I recently bought something for pennies on the dollar. A few friends wanted it but I couldn't sell it for what it's worth without looking like a jerk so trading it for something else made a lot of sense.
I did good Smile

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post