DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    2013 Duramax Emissions issues
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2013 Duramax Emissions issues
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I have a 2013 duramax with 52k miles on it. Just had NOx sensor #1 go out this time last year, and had it fixed $993. Then about 2 weeks ago NOx #2 went out had it fixed and def tank cleaned out and drained $1,200. Wednesday check engine light came on and code said P2BAD, which was the injector in the exhaust which is now bad. Also having them change the DEF tank heater since it is right there. Probably $800 bucks or so.

My question is, has this happened to anyone else? Am I good for the next 8-10 years with this DEF/Emission junk?

I know Delete is the way to go, but as of right now my truck is worth about 42k, and I don't want to make it worth 18k with DEF delete, since it wouldn't pass emissions without it.

6.0 gasser was a thought, but I have a big trailer and the gasser would be having to try really hard with roughly 400 lbs of torque lost.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of the emission junk on modern diesels, but I suspect you, or whoever is doing the work is just throwing parts at it instead of properly diagnosing and repairing the problem.

P2BAD doesn't indicate a failed injector. It indicates the exhaust fluid or selective reductant catalyst isn't controlled NOx correctly. It "could" be a bad DEF injector, a leaking indirect injector or any number of other problems. Were all the post repair procedures followed with NOx 2 was replaced? Why was the NOx sensor replace, AND the the DEF tank cleaned and drained? I suspect whatever is causing your current DTC was also causing the problem a couple weeks ago.

I'm a former GM World Class Technician. (GM Master Technician in multiple areas) I left the Chevy dealership in 2016, but had several local dealers sending me their problem Duramax vehicles because I'd actually repair them instead of just throwing parts at them.

My somewhat educated guess. Nothing was wrong with NOx2. The def injector is leaking, and has soaked the brick in the SCR catalyst with DEF. The necessary regeneration necessary after replacing NOx2 got the SCR hot enough to dry it out for a few days. It takes time and patience to properly diagnose this stuff. It also takes time and patience to verify repairs.

My suggestion, do the delete. Don't cut anything off remove everything in one piece and keep if for future reinstallation. Re install it when you go to sale the truck.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sell it $42,000 and buy a 2008, no DEF!

I'll sell ya this one for $42,000, it's mint, just turned 90,000 miles.

I'll take $12,000 cash, the rest in Gold. I keep the dog. Big Grin

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woody B:
I'm not a fan of the emission junk on modern diesels, but I suspect you, or whoever is doing the work is just throwing parts at it instead of properly diagnosing and repairing the problem.

P2BAD doesn't indicate a failed injector. It indicates the exhaust fluid or selective reductant catalyst isn't controlled NOx correctly. It "could" be a bad DEF injector, a leaking indirect injector or any number of other problems. Were all the post repair procedures followed with NOx 2 was replaced? Why was the NOx sensor replace, AND the the DEF tank cleaned and drained? I suspect whatever is causing your current DTC was also causing the problem a couple weeks ago.

I'm a former GM World Class Technician. (GM Master Technician in multiple areas) I left the Chevy dealership in 2016, but had several local dealers sending me their problem Duramax vehicles because I'd actually repair them instead of just throwing parts at them.

My somewhat educated guess. Nothing was wrong with NOx2. The def injector is leaking, and has soaked the brick in the SCR catalyst with DEF. The necessary regeneration necessary after replacing NOx2 got the SCR hot enough to dry it out for a few days. It takes time and patience to properly diagnose this stuff. It also takes time and patience to verify repairs.

My suggestion, do the delete. Don't cut anything off remove everything in one piece and keep if for future reinstallation. Re install it when you go to sale the truck.

Thanks for all the info Woody. Do you have an opinion on which delete kit to get, and where to get it from?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:

Thanks for all the info Woody. Do you have an opinion on which delete kit to get, and where to get it from?

I don't really know anything about the delete kits/tuners. When I was working at the dealer I put all the stuff back on a couple trucks when people were getting ready to sell them.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2011 2500 HD when the DEF first came out. In the first 4 years I had 17 service calls at the dealership for warranty work. Each glow plug was replaced, one at a time, a couple of injectors, both nox sensors, a stabilatrak sensor, fuel filter housing cracked and a TCM had to be replaced. I have had no more issues accept having to replace the oil pressure sending unit on my dime. Once all that crap was done it's a great truck.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:
I bought a 2011 2500 HD when the DEF first came out. In the first 4 years I had 17 service calls at the dealership for warranty work. Each glow plug was replaced, one at a time, a couple of injectors, both nox sensors, a stabilatrak sensor, fuel filter housing cracked and a TCM had to be replaced. I have had no more issues accept having to replace the oil pressure sending unit on my dime. Once all that crap was done it's a great truck.

I'm hoping that's where I'm at now! That being said I did just change the fuel filter this weekend and the exterior Aluminum housing separated from the interior plastic housing....so exterior spun but internal threaded portion where the threads are wouldn't. Had to take the entire housing off and put it in a vice to get it off.

However, things like that are just an inconvenience, rather than a major issue since they can be done myself. I just hate having to go to the dealer to get things fixed for over 100% markup all because you need a 3500-5000 dollar computer to put it in Regen mode.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a 2011 2500 HD when the DEF first came out. In the first 4 years I had 17 service calls at the dealership for warranty work. Each glow plug was replaced, one at a time, a couple of injectors, both nox sensors, a stabilatrak sensor, fuel filter housing cracked and a TCM had to be replaced. I

That's testament to today's GM QC. They'll get no more money from me.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:
I bought a 2011 2500 HD when the DEF first came out. In the first 4 years I had 17 service calls at the dealership for warranty work. Each glow plug was replaced, one at a time, a couple of injectors, both nox sensors, a stabilatrak sensor, fuel filter housing cracked and a TCM had to be replaced. I

That's testament to today's GM QC. They'll get no more money from me.

2011 was a new model year and I knew better than buy one but I blew up my '03 on the way to a race and got towed into a dealership and an hour later drove out with the new one. Most expensive drag race I ever attended.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The service writer told me they had a new diesel colorado in with an emissions code on it. Tech couldn't find any information as far as what the code was for. Called GM, and they didn't have any documentation of the code either. How can that even happen?

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
How can that even happen?

Ugh, the left hand doesn't know what the right hands doing?

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
2011 was a new model year and I knew better than buy one but I blew up my '03 on the way to a race and got towed into a dealership and an hour later drove out with the new one. Most expensive drag race I ever attended.

Went through a similar scenario as you going back and forth to the dealer for warranty work. Back when the new Dodge Intrepid came out the wife wanted one. Since she worked for her money she got one. To Chrysler's credit, they willingly fixed it many times and it, like yours, finally held together.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
quote:

Went through a similar scenario as you going back and forth to the dealer for warranty work. Back when the new Dodge Intrepid came out the wife wanted one. Since she worked for her money she got one. To Chrysler's credit, they willingly fixed it many times and it, like yours, finally held together.

The pre emissions trucks lack torque without tuning and upgrades, but they don't break down. So I guess its a pick your poison type of thing.