Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
THE NEXT 10 YEARS
 Login/Join
 
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted
Just for discussion only . Where is the market going for classic ,muscle , pro street and your race going in the next 10 years and beyond....Was at a car show last week and saw 85% of owners way over the age of 65....


HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!
 
Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I was talking to the wife this morning about this as we are having insulation blown in out in my shop.
I said we are spending more on this place than it will ever be worth, not to mention having a 40x60 shop that I have no clue what I will do with when I get to old to race.

She said I would always be out there tinkering with something.
I guess it's a good thing I bought my old Ford to restore as when finished I can always jump in it and cruise.

I guess to answer your question. I as well as most of us gear heads will find something to do with cars until death..lol

Dave


"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell
 
Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I won’t last another two years.
 
Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Old cars and race cars are toys. I don't buy toys with re-sale prices in mind. And I don't spend or "invest" money I might need down the road on toys.


Mike
 
Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Old cars and race cars are toys. I don't buy toys with re-sale prices in mind. And I don't spend or "invest" money I might need down the road on toys.


Thats how I look at it too Mike.


You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.
 
Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll probably be dead in 10 years so someone else will get to worry about all that crap. I keep saying I'll race till I die. Who knows, it might come true.

Right now I just finished loading everything for our biggest local race of the year, the Lindsey Callaway Memorial which is this weekend.

Monday I leave for the double divisional in Salt Lake. Can't let those kids make any bye runs. LOL


Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......
 
Posts: 5302 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I to will be doing this until I die. It is a fact of life the younger generations are not the same as us and most (not all) but most do not care about cars, Rodeo, fishing, hunting or much of the things we grew up with and love.


https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion
 
Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
At the division one Lucas series race 2 weeks ago....

Myself and a good friend were talking to our division director and head of competition one morning and this subject came up.....Mostly because we brought it into the conversation...

The age of most Super Stock and Stock racers is well up in the 60's or older in general.....and its a big concern for them as they wonder how can this continue....They are very aware of this fact...

The funny part is I am 70 and my racer friend is 72 and we run in the Super classes....and that's how the conversation got started.....we were out walking and just trying to get going for the day and they rolled up on a golf cart and asked what the words of wisdom for the day was we might have.....We said...."don't get old" .....LOL
 
Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I to will be doing this until I die. It is a fact of life the younger generations are not the same as us and most (not all) but most do not care about cars, Rodeo, fishing, hunting or much of the things we grew up with and love.


My wife works in the hospice industry. I can tell you that while that is a great plan that everyone would like, it rarely works that way


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6391 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Bucky is 100% right.

You THINK you will just keep going like you always did but the truth is you won't.

Father time will catch up with you and if you're real lucky it will just be a steady slowing of your ability to do what you used to do.

If your unlucky like many people you will be hit hard with something that will stop you in your tracks....


I am one of the lucky ones so far......Just to be able to do what I am doing every day...

I did and do work pretty hard to try and stay in decent shape and it makes a huge difference....
 
Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J178RED:
Just for discussion only . Where is the market going for classic ,muscle , pro street and your race going in the next 10 years and beyond....Was at a car show last week and saw 85% of owners way over the age of 65....

What;s even more interesting is many of them over 55 don't know jack about the car and didn't do anything on it besides pay for it. I worked with a bunch that are the fat bald guy lawnchair classic car owners. I ask them if they installed the air freshener or did they have it professionally installed? Plenty at the racetrack too that do nothing to their cars themselves no matter what the age.
 
Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Go to a No Prep race....tons of young folks at those, mostly the small tire classes.
 
Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Bucky is 100% right.

You THINK you will just keep going like you always did but the truth is you won't.

Father time will catch up with you and if you're real lucky it will just be a steady slowing of your ability to do what you used to do.

If your unlucky like many people you will be hit hard with something that will stop you in your tracks....


I am one of the lucky ones so far......Just to be able to do what I am doing every day...

I did and do work pretty hard to try and stay in decent shape and it makes a huge difference....


I always figured you were about 20 years younger than what you admitted to being recently. You do stay active for sure!!


Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
 
Posts: 6391 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think the classic and muscle are going down the path that the vintage cars went, the high end cars are maintaining value but the average resto is losing. Maybe that's just a casualty of the decline of the middle class, with fewer of us able to afford another toy. I agree that in 10 years there will be even fewer buyers.
 
Posts: 321 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: October 24, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for discussion only . Where is the market going for classic ,muscle , pro street and your race going in the next 10 years and beyond....Was at a car show last week and saw 85% of owners way over the age of 65....



Funny this topic came up, I've been crying all week over this lol ........I buy, sell and build cars all the time, it's how I survive. The market is very unpredictable and I don't see it ever improving. I recently bought and sold a few cars and while I did pretty good, I thought they would do better. Obviously nice stuff always pulls better money, but the interest is much lower than usual.

Plenty of money out there, but people are very selective on what they spend it on.

On another note........... My son just bought a boat, a nice 24' center console. Of course we stole it for 1/2 of book value lol, but one thing I instantly noticed was HOLY SHYT, there's NO shortage of money on the water !!!!! I cant believe the number of big money boats out on the weekends !!! WAAAAAY more than when we had our boats when the kids were smaller 10 yrs ago. Three or four 300+hp outboards are common these days Roll Eyes
 
Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
quote:
Just for discussion only . Where is the market going for classic ,muscle , pro street and your race going in the next 10 years and beyond....Was at a car show last week and saw 85% of owners way over the age of 65....


Funny this topic came up, I've been crying all week over this lol ........I buy, sell and build cars all the time, it's how I survive. The market is very unpredictable and I don't see it ever improving. I recently bought and sold a few cars and while I did pretty good, I thought they would do better. Obviously nice stuff always pulls better money, but the interest is much lower than usual.

Plenty of money out there, but people are very selective on what they spend it on.

On another note........... My son just bought a boat, a nice 24' center console. Of course we stole it for 1/2 of book value lol, but one thing I instantly noticed was HOLY SHYT, there's NO shortage of money on the water !!!!! I cant believe the number of big money boats out on the weekends !!! WAAAAAY more than when we had our boats when the kids were smaller 10 yrs ago. Three or four 300+hp outboards are common these days Roll Eyes


Because most of them are cash deals...... And you know where most of that money comes from. Now your son, that's another story. He works his butt off for it like you do! Ask your youngest about his Hawaiian Hula Skirt tonight! Smile

See you guys this weekend. Look for me, I am a good duck this year!
 
Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll be 78 shortly---raced 3 times this year and if something attractive was available could have raced more but have a fishing property in WV that I needed to spruce up so I could sell it then I just spent about a month gutting a place I have up in MD that will require lots more of my time. I can't be persuaded to go to races with car count requirements that they can never reach and never have. Hate double entries, buy backs, and mulligans but will deal with them since its about the only way. I race foot brake and it seems no one wants to fool with the bottom bulb racers anymore. Why could we race years ago for $40--$50 entry for a $1500---$2000 purse with no buy backs or double entries and the tracks made money? Why can a promotor rent a facility, charge a reasonable amount for entry, and pay a good purse yet that same track can't do the same? Why. I think the bottom will fall out of the 55--57 Chev market soon. Lots of people will get stuck with them as younger people could care less----I never did enjoy sitting in a parking lot on a hot day with my old cars. I sold my 65 GTO conv last July. Done with that but still have the hard top. Just bought another motor home and plan on using it for something besides the race track. Guess I'll need to sell the old one. Anyway I am enjoying getting old so far so you young people just dig in and keep looking forward--you can't change yesterday. I got grass to mow so everyone enjoy your racing this weekend
 
Posts: 6202 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I'll be 78 shortly---raced 3 times this year and if something attractive was available could have raced more but have a fishing property in WV that I needed to spruce up so I could sell it then I just spent about a month gutting a place I have up in MD that will require lots more of my time. I can't be persuaded to go to races with car count requirements that they can never reach and never have. Hate double entries, buy backs, and mulligans but will deal with them since its about the only way. I race foot brake and it seems no one wants to fool with the bottom bulb racers anymore. Why could we race years ago for $40--$50 entry for a $1500---$2000 purse with no buy backs or double entries and the tracks made money? Why can a promotor rent a facility, charge a reasonable amount for entry, and pay a good purse yet that same track can't do the same? Why. I think the bottom will fall out of the 55--57 Chev market soon. Lots of people will get stuck with them as younger people could care less----I never did enjoy sitting in a parking lot on a hot day with my old cars. I sold my 65 GTO conv last July. Done with that but still have the hard top. Just bought another motor home and plan on using it for something besides the race track. Guess I'll need to sell the old one. Anyway I am enjoying getting old so far so you young people just dig in and keep looking forward--you can't change yesterday. I got grass to mow so everyone enjoy your racing this weekend
I am not that old. Smile But as you age the majority of us shift our priorities away from the racing. Not that I don't still love it but it is not the only thing in life like it was 30 years ago. I know a lot more former racers my age than current ones and very few of their kids want anything to do with it.
In ten years it will likely be more walkers and canes.
 
Posts: 109 | Location: NY | Registered: April 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the classic car thing, but will The Bender thread still be going?

Falling of chair laughing


272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.
 
Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I have classic cars and a drag car and could care less what the market does . No doubt there is a skrinking market and naturally nicer stuff is easier to sell . Give it 15 years and sportsman racing will be suffering badly .
 
Posts: 1235 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 


© DragRaceResults.com 2024