Find
Notify
Tools

THE NEXT 10 YEARS
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I'm right up there with Fern. I've slowed down a lot in the past year cause not taking care of myself earlier is catchingup to me. I wanted to sell the race car but my son said now way so I guess that ain't going to happen. I made my last investment to it last year with a complete back half and a new certified cage. It's all going to be on him now. I've got good scotch and steaks to spend my money on.

Posts: 4829 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
you mean there is such thing as good Scotch? Bourbon I could see.LOL

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bender page at 167 pages. Got a lot of catching up to do to get to 667 of Mike Hawks good morning thread Big Grin

Posts: 6268 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I’ve been hearing this since the 70”s. Racing will be just fine

Posts: 654 | Location: Here | Registered: November 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ferndaleflyer:
I'll be 78 shortly---raced 3 times this year and if something attractive was available could have raced more but have a fishing property in WV that I needed to spruce up so I could sell it then I just spent about a month gutting a place I have up in MD that will require lots more of my time. I can't be persuaded to go to races with car count requirements that they can never reach and never have. Hate double entries, buy backs, and mulligans but will deal with them since its about the only way. I race foot brake and it seems no one wants to fool with the bottom bulb racers anymore. Why could we race years ago for $40--$50 entry for a $1500---$2000 purse with no buy backs or double entries and the tracks made money? Why can a promotor rent a facility, charge a reasonable amount for entry, and pay a good purse yet that same track can't do the same? Why. I think the bottom will fall out of the 55--57 Chev market soon. Lots of people will get stuck with them as younger people could care less----I never did enjoy sitting in a parking lot on a hot day with my old cars. I sold my 65 GTO conv last July. Done with that but still have the hard top. Just bought another motor home and plan on using it for something besides the race track. Guess I'll need to sell the old one. Anyway I am enjoying getting old so far so you young people just dig in and keep looking forward--you can't change yesterday. I got grass to mow so everyone enjoy your racing this weekend

I race Sportsman (footbrake) at my local NHRA track. $35 entry, $15 buy back. I honestly wouldn’t care if the purse was zero. I just like racing. I guess something must be wrong with me. You’re telling us about multiple homes and properties, expensive classic cars, and motor coaches, but you can’t race unless the payout suits you?

Mike

Posts: 1591 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
you mean there is such thing as good Scotch? Bourbon I could see.LOL

JW Black and sometimes Blue. A good 1/2"-2" ribeye medium rare.
Every night my dog and I take a ride around the neighbor hood in our UTV with a scotch in the cup holder. He likes to visit the neighbors and I like to look at their wives. LOL

Posts: 4829 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
the next 10 years won't be good for drag racing, many will be retiring either on their own terms or their ticket will have been punched in the pro ranks, sportsman and bracket racers.

Posts: 32 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: September 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Don't know about the classic car thing, but will The Bender thread still be going?

Falling of chair laughing
WHO?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4472 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Hawks "good morning "thread, Bender and weather underground are safe. But I can see dwindling car counts and interest in cars in general, you can't help but wonder what 10 year will do to the sport. Harley Davidson is facing the same fate, a big percentage of the die hard lovers are dying or can't ride. Both racing and HD will be there but in what form ?

Posts: 329 | Location: observing the mayhem | Registered: December 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sly Fox if I could race for that I would be happy as a clam but nothing close to that around here----I used to race for trophies and was there every week. Around here cars are parked everywhere not racing for whatever reason. I don't think its the purse as much as it is to double entries, buybacks, and cut purses because of unrealistic car count minimums. Even footbrake has gone to no box and after you beat all of the bottom bulbers you got to jump in with the Top cars to try to get a real purse. The cars are around but not at the track.

Posts: 6268 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bender page at 167 pages. Got a lot of catching up to do to get to 667 of Mike Hawks good morning thread Big Grin

I'm sure that will never happen...………..I hope Wink

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:

They all take a backseat to Danny Son's "What drag racing needs more of" thread at 701 pages and over 46 million (!) views

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPROGAS:
I won’t last another two years.
I'm starting to think this way. Someone posted on here a while back, I'm sick of dragging my shyt 500 miles down the road to lose by 1 thou. I know it's luck but my luck's been shyt for a couple seasons now...... Roll Eyes JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 67 Goat
posted Hide Post
The Street Outlaw/No Prep explosion has helped drag racing as a whole over the last few years. Interest is up, no question. The younger people that want to get into the sport will quickly realize that building a 3.70 200mph door slammer on radials isn't cheap may make their way over to the bracket racing side of things. The sport is growing the last few years that is for sure. Hopefully it keeps growing.

Posts: 18 | Location: Delray Beach, FL | Registered: May 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sly Fox if I could race for that I would be happy as a clam but nothing close to that around here----I used to race for trophies and was there every week. Around here cars are parked everywhere not racing for whatever reason. I don't think its the purse as much as it is to double entries, buybacks, and cut purses because of unrealistic car count minimums. Even footbrake has gone to no box and after you beat all of the bottom bulbers you got to jump in with the Top cars to try to get a real purse. The cars are around but not at the track.

I’m with you on that stuff.

Mike

Posts: 1591 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
At 64 yrs old I think i just drove my last drag race a couple weeks ago , Don't know what to do with the car .
I could put it back on the street with a different motor , but probably would not drive it. I was tired of car shows 15 yrs. ago which is why i started drag racing .

Posts: 8 | Location: cheboygan | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I'll be 63 in a few weeks and I need a footbrake car. When do you want me to pick it up? I'm in Arizona.
By the way I've been to 3 bracket races this year but I'm at the track more than ever. I work in pit control at NHRA national events. 14 so far and 3 division races.
Sure, I can't do it like I used to but I don't want to miss the fun.

I'm not in a bad mood, I just look that way.........

Posts: 1006 | Location: Kingman, Arizona | Registered: March 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Wasting your time with foot brake---it is quickly being replaced by no box and then pushing that over into top after you win on the bottom----soon just be one class like the world famous Capitol Raceway in MD

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What is the difference between no-box and foot brake ? Would that be having a transbrake ?

Posts: 8 | Location: cheboygan | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wasting your time with foot brake---it is quickly being replaced by no box and then pushing that over into top after you win on the bottom----soon just be one class like the world famous Capitol Raceway in MD

But Capitol reversed that this year, right Fern? Seems that way from looking at their website. Take care. Tom Worthington

If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post