DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  General Discussion - by FTI    Honda Electric and California
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Honda Electric and California
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by qtrrcr:
This just reminded me about when I bought a 1-1/2 hp pool pump motor recently from amazon and it said cannot be shipped to california, made me wonder about electric shop or portable air compressors. Can you still buy them, or are there restrictions on those also?
Try getting a Moroso battery charger delivered to California or Oregon.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
Born and raised in SoCal, spent my first 36 years of life there. Glad I got out while the getting was good in 1995.

Lived there for a year it the mid-eightys.

Figured out pretty fast it wasn't for me.......

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12283 | Location: Murrieta, Calif | Registered: August 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
The cart is before the horse. We do not have a electric grid that can support all they are trying to do. I'm not going to lose my AC just so somebody can charge their Tesla.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:
The cart is before the horse. We do not have a electric grid that can support all they are trying to do. I'm not going to lose my AC just so somebody can charge their Tesla.

I agree with you on that, but I wouldn't bet against it....... Roll Eyes

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":

I agree with you on that, but I wouldn't bet against it....... Roll Eyes

Yeah with all the climate change left wingers we have out here you're probably right.

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:

They are not going to ask you they are just going to do it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I agree Curly. For info... We had the "Nest" installed for our heat/Ac. App on the phone. I set the schedule and guess what? The d a m thing turns up by itself and down by itself and I mean not at what I have set it at! WTF! So out it comes. This is Ca plan to tell you when and where you can use the grid. Guess what? Goodbye Nest!

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Great article Mike. Rip up the planet for EV? I think we've ripped up enough.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4491 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:
I agree Curly. For info... We had the "Nest" installed for our heat/Ac. App on the phone. I set the schedule and guess what? The d a m thing turns up by itself and down by itself and I mean not at what I have set it at! WTF! So out it comes. This is Ca plan to tell you when and where you can use the grid. Guess what? Goodbye Nest!

Really? Holy chit!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
So out it comes.

It's just in it's infancy. My guess is ultimately such controls will be treated like a utility, such as a gas meter or electrical service to one's house. Which is to say illegal for a private individual to manipulate. In OKC they have a program you can sign up for that reduces your electricity cost per unit if you use current only during certain hours. If they can get people to sign up for, at a reduced rate, to have driving monitors in their car for insurance purposes, they can sell anything to these chimpanzees!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
There’s an app for every a hole, we out in the desert are told to conserve water ! We all did and then they said we’re not selling enough water to keep profitable so we’re raising your rates !!!LOL The power companies will do the same as more and more solar units on installed .

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Exactly Nick! They have to give upper management raises and bonus .. Top heavy..

Raceless in California!

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I see OHM Connect the new smart thermostat that states and end to blackouts..you pay for your electricity but we will tell you when you can use it? No thanks!

Raceless in California!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I spent 3 decades working on diesel engines and diesel engine powered equipment.

I got out in Q4 2020.

The complexity. The work is there. We techs became the bad guy because WE were the ones who had to fix broken stuff, we were always too expensive, too slow, and it's never good enough, and doing that costs a lot of money in a lot of cases. Rare to have a "cheap" repair on a diesel engine nowadays. I knew CARB was going to put even more restrictions, and an opportunity showed itself and I took advantage.

As a tech at the time, I saw the changes.

Starting roughly 2014 on tractors. A few in 2012 but for the most part the Tier 4 stuff was phased in fully by 2014. With all that came training that was mostly constant. Gone are the days of "diesel mechanics". Diesel engine techs now really need a chemistry degree to understand what the systems do, they need a mechanical engineering degree to understand what the systems actually do, an electrical systems degree to understand how the systems communicate with the brain, they need more PPE to keep the nasty stuff off of them (DEF especially), they also need a degree in computer science in order to be able to use the diagnostic software and hardware. Every single time I turned on the laptop to hook up to a tractor, it wanted to "please wait windows is updating". 5 minutes to one hour later, it's ready to reboot for the last time. Remember, I'm clocked into a customer's equipment, so he gets to pay for it. With all that training (for me it was quarterly online training combined with a twice-a-year in person GRUELING training session 3/4 of the way across the country, for up to 2 weeks at a time), we got exactly $0.00 per hour raise, we got a lot more work, more stress, had to buy even more tooling, and they don't pay for all the training--only part of it. It's a wonder that techs choose to stay in the business at all.

Posts: 106 | Location: Il,IL | Registered: March 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Every year systems are updated "New and improved" ya right... By the time you are done with a certain engine line diagnostics, the next year they will add 10 more sensors, Add 30 more perimeters to check. It is virtually impossible to keep up with the technology/training. I am winding down myself. The headache is not worth the money
nor the aggravation. Sure I'll still go out on calls and hook up, clear and maybe a forced regen. Get them out of derate if possible.

Get down the road to a shop/dealer.

I remember the times where the seal on the windshields would leak water in during a rain and right into the fuse panel/s as an example.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I got out in Dec 2019. Mostly because I needed shoulder surgery and I couldnt leave my customers without help, so I turned them over to a fellow independent mobile mechanic. I also cancelled my $3000.00 a year subscription for the engine software for the computers. Sold all the adapters and cables on ebay. The good old days of getting a service call on a no start and just turning in the screw on a big or small cam cummins or pulling out the pin on a CAT shut off solenoid are gone. I always hated being called a technician because my definition of one was a parts changer, because the computer told you what was wrong and all you had to do was change the component. Now days you have to be a rocket scientist just to use the laptop and just as soon as you get used to one system, they change it, and you have to start all over again, and another update on the software for more dollars.You go out on a service call now you dont even open the hood til you plug in and see whats happening. The redundancy they are putting in the systems are making it alot more difficult now. 2 or 3 oil pressure sensors, half dozen temp sensors, and the emission system are the biggest culprit. And they wonder why labor prices are so high. I was charging $75 and hour turning down work everyday cause the big shops and dealers are well over $100.00.

Posts: 296 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stk 758 BP!:

Here in Texas the Electric companies are all going to the Smart meters. Then in Feb during the bad freeze most were losing electric power and had no control over it.
I have a friend who refused to let them put the Smart meter on his house and during the power outages he never lost power while his neighbors did. They charged him a fee of like $175 to keep the old style meter but he did it and he says that is why he did not lose power when everyone around him did. I do not know what his reasoning was for not wanting the smart meter but it worked out for him during the power outages. My guess is the Smart meters can be turned off by a computer or switch at the office and the old style still require someone to go to the site and physically turn it off.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Curly, we’ve had the (not so) Smart meters for years. PITA! It’s electronic and they have control and it’s does miss!

Raceless in California!